IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March Weather Thread

_Keith

(amazondk @ Mar. 29 2008,12:56)

From the equator south things just don't change much on a day to day basis.  I guess we just don't have too interesting weather. But, plants do grow well this time of year.

Current conditions in Manaus.

Don,

You have nearly perfect weather.  Who would want it to change very much?

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here is what the end of the day looked like.  I took this picture from the Amazonas Shopping Center garage roof top parking area.  It is looking south across town.  The day ended real nice with sunshine and a nice temperature.  I think it would be interesting if people posted pictures of their weather regularly on the monthly weather thread.  Unfortunately most people living in tropical climates do not seem to pay much attention to the monthly weather thread.  The Australians have their own weather thread going and the Hawaiians rarely pop up.  Maybe a picture thread of peoples daily weather around the globe with local condition reporting would be a good option.  My weather as I mentioned is pretty boring as it rarely moves much temperature wise from one season to the other.  Especially at night.  It is always about the same temperature at night even in the hottest months of the year August to November.  I have a cell phone with a very good camera so it makes taking pictures real easy anywhere.  Almost all of the pictures I post anymore are taken from my cell phone camera.  Actually it is a camera with a cell phone.  The crane in the picture is very symoblic of Manaus today.  Buildings are popping up faster than palms in the forest.

dk

AmazonasShoppingMar29.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(keiththibodeaux @ Mar. 29 2008,16:05)

(amazondk @ Mar. 29 2008,12:56)

From the equator south things just don't change much on a day to day basis.  I guess we just don't have too interesting weather. But, plants do grow well this time of year.

Current conditions in Manaus.

Don,

You have nearly perfect weather.  Who would want it to change very much?

Keith

Keith,

Now that you mention it I guess I would change nothing.  I am quite content the way things are.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

hi don. some fotos of this morning last day march. i take these like 1-2 hours ago. very sunny no clouds, temperature of thermometer of car 19 C - 23 C, 66 - 74 F. dry probaly humiditey of 30 - 50 %, little winds.

about normal day for march.

i like very much the 3 fotos of erythrina. in méxico we call this pico de gallo, árbol del coral. is this tree not from brasil ?

PICT1033.jpg

PICT1035.jpg

PICT1039.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

more fotos last day march.....

gas station with phoenix canariensis and washingtonia

PICT1042.jpg

driving in tijuana

PICT1045.jpg

colonia la obrera - regular view tijuana residentials. this is high in hills.

PICT1050.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

phoenix canariensis, archontophoenix, syagrus ...

PICT1058.jpg

plaza monumental bull ring

PICT1061.jpg

islas coronados - islands

PICT1066.jpg

Cristóbol,

Great pictures of your part of the world.  The erythrina grows down south but is not found around here.  It is a pretty tree for sure.  One thing that I think will show up in all urban pictures around the globe is the cell phone tower.  I see one in one of your pictures.  They now dot the urban landscape like steel palm trees.  It looks like you have great weather there.  It appears that our March is nearly a record setter for rain.  March will close with over 500 mm of rain.  The average is 350 mm.  Here in Brazil Dengue Fever is now one of the main topics of the news.  Brazil has 2/3s of all cases of Dengue fever in Latin America right now.  The main problem is in Rio de Janeiro. But, the mosquito and the fever is all over the country.

dk

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Mar. 31 2008,16:06)

One thing that I think will show up in all urban pictures around the globe is the cell phone tower.  I see one in one of your pictures.  They now dot the urban landscape like steel palm trees.  

Cristobal - Great pictures.  Please show us more of your home.

Don - In some cases they are quite literally steel palm trees, painted green and all.  Here they use the Pine Tree model.   Of course, I would rather the Palm Tree Model.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

keith,

There is a spot in Manaus where the cell phone tower is framed by royal palms.  It is a quite interesting sight.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Mar. 31 2008,17:53)

keith,

There is a spot in Manaus where the cell phone tower is framed by royal palms.  It is a quite interesting sight.

dk

Here is something similar to what we get to look at.  This model is a little nicer.

post-1207-1207009841_thumb.jpg

I would rather see this.

post-1207-1207009876_thumb.jpg

Keith,

Those are some scary looking trees.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Mar. 31 2008,19:33)

Keith,

Those are some scary looking trees.

dk

Well, those are nicer words than I would use.   :D  :D  :D

Wow, what palm perfect weather we have been having. We actually are in a summer time pattern, albeit a little early. A few heavy showers here and there forming on the seabreezes. It rained for about 45 minutes here tonight, and unlike winter rains, it is not being followed by a blast of cold air - just high 60s anf low 70s for the rest of the evening - humid. Everything is exploding in growth right now, just put out a bunch of fertilizer a few days ago too. I am surprised at the plants that are regrowing from the roots that were melted by the freeze this winter. My garden seems resilient if nothing else.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

March weather at my place: High 86.6f/30.3c Low 42.9f/6.1c ,Rainfall 2.6"

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Heres the March 2008 summary from my yard----

FreeWX monthly summary for March 2008

There are 31 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 March to 31 March.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +85.6 °F at 16:02:00 on 03 March

Minimum temperature: +44.6 °F at 07:41:00 on 25 March

Maximum humidity: 100 % at 23:59:00 on 31 March

Minimum humidity: 29 % at 17:46:00 on 25 March

Maximum dew point: +70.7 °F at 18:22:00 on 07 March

Minimum dew point: +20.8 °F at 07:18:00 on 25 March

Minimum wind chill: +33.8 °F at 08:31:00 on 25 March

Maximum heat index: +85.1 °F at 15:28:00 on 16 March

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.33 In.Hg at 11:16:00 on 26 March

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.71 In.Hg at 18:30:00 on 07 March

Maximum wind gust: 26.6 MPH from 324° at 11:29:00 on 08 March

Maximum indoor temperature: +79.7 °F at 16:23:00 on 28 March

Minimum indoor temperature: +70.3 °F at 09:30:00 on 26 March

Averages

Average temperature: +67.3 °F

Average maximum temperature: +76.7 °F

Average minimum temperature: +57.8 °F

Average humidity: 65 %

Average maximum humidity: 91 %

Average minimum humidity: 39 %

Average dew point: +53 °F

Average maximum dew point: +61 °F

Average minimum dew point: +45.1 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +53.3 °F

Average maximum heat index: +79.6 °F

Average barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30.1 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75.3 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77.5 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +73.1 °F

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

4th March - (0.2 In.)

6th March - (0.98 In.)

7th March - (1.78 In.)

11th March - (0.08 In.)

12th March - (0.08 In.)

14th March - (0.68 In.)

20th March - (0.32 In.)

22nd March - (0.44 In.)

31st March - (0.71 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 9

Maximum rainfall rate: 16.69 In./hour at 14:29:00 on 06 March

Total rainfall for March: 5.27 In.