IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

GOOD NEWS-LARGER PHOTOS

PALM MOD

Previously the only way to post photos larger than 100 kb was to use a hosting service such as Photo Bucket. The direct attachment to your post by uploading to PalmTalk was restricted to files under that size.

Now, for IPS Members only, we have found a way to allow photo sizes of up to 250 kb to be attached to your posts, and avoid the need for a hosting service. In fact, we would encourage you to post photos this way, so that PalmTalk will never lose photos if members change hosting services, or purge their libraries.

You will need to be an IPS Member to take advantage of this new benefit. Please consider doing so. To learn more about the IPS, or to sign up, you can visit their home page by clicking on the icon at the top of this page.

PalmTalk requests using a resolution of 1024 x 768 for those wishing to post the largest permissible size. Photos larger than 1024 x 768 will cause "scrolling" problems and may be deleted. A size of 800 x 600 displays well too. Only one photo per post is allowed this way.

Remember that resolution and file size are two different things. Resolution is the actual physical size of the photo, while the file size in kb is the amount of detail the photo will have, and is the limiting factor for uploading (attaching). You should find that a 1024 x 768 resolution, and a file size of 200-250 kb yields a very clear photo. Below is an example.

Andersen Garden --- The Big Island of Hawaii

post--1201854857_thumb.jpg

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I'm ready to join, in fact I have. How about that ? Wal's gone officially international.

Now nobody's safe.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Moderator,

Yahooooo! Now I feel like I can compete with the big dogs. Ryan(Palmarum) watch out......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks a lot to our Modelator & the board...I love it ! since in my observation the finest clarity chunck lies in 125 to 150kb range for 800x600.and if 225 to 250kb range is allowed_WoW ! From now on most of the IPS members posts are gona rock...O Yeah !  ???

.ea7c7386.gif

Thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dean,

This is great news! Unfortunately, as I explained to you when we talked last night, the program I use only gives me two choices:

Reduce to 640 x 480, OR

Reduce to 1280 x 960

The 640 x 480 will almost always get me below 100KB (and a relatively small photo), while the 1280 x 960 will typically get me below 250KB BUT a large photo, which fits on my 22 inch screen. I guess is too large to fit on smaller screens. Incidentally, I just tried to reduce one of my photos from Hwy 19 with all the A. alexandrae to the 1280 x 960 size and STILL ended up with more than 400KB so if there's too much detail in the photo I obviously still have to go with the 640 x 480 option.

This photo is 222KB (taken around the corner from us - I helped the previous owner select these Bismarckias years ago from Ho'owaiwai Nursery on the Hamakua coast).

Bo-Göran

post-22-1201887180_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Not to put a damper on this but some people still have dial up as DSL/Broadband is not available,  such as our farm in Australia.  Sometimes if when I'm there I want to download a thread with lots of photos it can take over an hour to download one thread.  

Just my thoughts

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Bruce,

I can certainly relate because we were on dial-up here until March 2006. However, and as you certainly already know, it's impossible to please all the people all the time! :(  

If only a small percentage of Forum members had a highspeed internet connection we would obviously have to discourage them from posting too many photos. But, the opposite is true - most of us DO have some type of highspeed conx - and consequently we need to satisfy all those Forum members with high resolution photos. After all, enjoying palms is, for the most part, a visual pleasure! :)

Bo-Göran

And just for the fun of it, here's another photo: juvenile Clinostigma samoense frond.

post-22-1201897513_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Of course the answer to your dilemma is to use one of the many excellent free programs that make resizing your photos to a custom resolution and file size easy.  :D

I don't know if it happens on your monitor, but when you post a 1280 res photo, most viewers will then have to scroll back and forth to read every post on that page.

Bruce,

Under "Account Options" there are several choices you have that will reduce the amount of info that displays on the posts, and should help to reduce download time for those with dial up. You can choose to eliminate avatars and signatures. You could also choose to eliminate photos if your service is really slow, and you still wish to read the posts. If something struck you as interesting, you could always change the setting back to view those, or make a note for when you get to faster service.

Dean knows how much I dislike trying new stuff....we'll see how the poll goes! :P

I have no problem with 1280 if it's the only way I'll see Bo's pictures big. :)  Reading is over-rated.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Thanks Dean,

I have my own site so hosting was never a problem, although it was certainly much easier when I only had one picture to upload it to the forum (if I could make it fit the file restrictions), but bulk albums are easier to host offsite and pick and choose what to post.

Is it possible to change the software to allow four (or more) pictures when uploading to the forum (as is possible with hosted pictures)?  Being limited to one picture/post will be very tedious to post.  If not I guess I will make a run to top Paul's post count!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Robert,

Some newer software I had checked out did provide for this option. I agree that it is a very nice feature, and number one on my wish list. This software, in it's present configuration, does not allow for it.

I am checking out some things, with an eye open for that possibility.  So your answer is 'no' at this point, but stay tuned.

Bruce... and others  heres something that will help, I'm quoting my response on the other thread.

Rusty, I know there are still some of you out there (I was one too!)  So, lately I have only put one pic per post in my threads, (007.. one, for example) and while that makes more pages, Its easier to download for you, AND if there are gaps in the coverage, you can go to the last page.  The most frustrating things I remember would be to have 38 posts on a page that has 3 or 4 big pics per post and then they take a few days off, and then come back to add 3 posts.  The memory in the computer would be gone for the old pics and it would take FOREVER to reload that page on dial up to see the last 2 posts. (If it was text, I could stop loading and read the text.)

I know your pain.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wal, wecome to the party pal

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Okay ! now as we have reached a milestone in better res & bigger image file size,Now like a greedy dog...i still have some request to make from the Board !

can we all have the luxury of posting 2 to 3 stills per post...in near future ?

And another request is page shifting button..say discussing palms trees worldwide is seen too downwards...needs lots of scrolling.if this option is found near the Add reply,quote button.it will be very helpful & also more simily icons are desired..

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Ed,

You were not designated as an IPS Member. I have changed it for you, so you should be able to load the larger files now.

Now that I can finally post pictures.  How do I post multiple photos at the same?  SAve as group and get with in size limit.  Help :(

Edrow

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

• 3 months later...

Testing my new cell phone camera............this is only a test....420 kb.....1600X1200

post-97-1211488355_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 3 months later...

Testing...

post-462-1221844670_thumb.jpg

Forgot about the file size increase...

Ahhh....OK...So I have 1.95 MB of space per post. So with my camera's resolution, that means only one image per post...It's better for me to download to photobucket for multiple pics in a post and use this feature when I am only posting one pic at a time.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

what's the point of that big resolution?

I don't think anyone needs that.

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

what's the point of that big resolution?

I don't think anyone needs that.

That's the standard resolution for my camera (Nikon D70)...It's only 5.5 megapixals. Most D-SLR's now have double that resolution...

I agree with what you say, Pivi, that's why I like to link my images from photobucket. I don't have to re-size my images...I set the default in photobucket to automatically size the images for a 15" monitor. I can get 4 large sized images into one post without any effort needed of re-sizing my images and having to save multiple sizes of the same image on my computer(wasting storage space).

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe,

If you resize your photos on your own machine, it is faster (about 1/20th the time), you have more control over the size and quality, and you don't have to take the extra time that uploading those large photos to PhotoBucket takes. In addition, you can get a better quality photo because you are in control of the settings. Check the size of your photo after PhotoBucket resizes it. I would guess from what you said that PhotoBucket is reducing your file size (and detail) by about 90%. Your photo of the Queens around your pool is 196KB. I am guessing the original is more than 10 times the size. Personally I enjoy larger photos that I can view on larger monitors and check out the details if desired.

We have covered this before. I have a batch resizer on my machine set to reduce photos to 480KB, which would allow for 4 in a post. I sort all the photos I wish to resize and place them in a folder. I then drag and drop that folder into the resizer and it's done in less than a minute for 20-30 pics, and they are all ready to go in a separate folder to click and select for upload to PalmTalk. No copying URLs as in PhotoBucket.

I have another setting in my resizer saved to resize to 1.85 MB, which allows for one per upload. When I wish to display more detail, I check this box, and drag and drop the photos. For those who say it's faster to use PhotoBucket, it's just not true. If you have your workflow set up, it's so much faster and you get a better result when done locally.

And there is no need to save multiple images on your computer. What need do you have for saving the smaller files? They are on PalmTalk instead of PhotoBucket. And you only took the time to upload small files instead of the huge ones you uploaded to PhotoBucket. Besides you can always resize them from the originals again in seconds if need be.

Thanks, Dean...

I will check it out. The pics of the queens were actually re-sized before I sent it to photobucket. My recent photos are at full resolution and sounds like the same size you got yours set at.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Dave, I'm on a Mac and use one called Easy Batch Photo.

But in another thread in which this was discussed, Len (LJG) posted the name of what looked like a nice free batch resizer for Windows. There are many. A Google search for "batch resizer" should list a few. Many are free, and any paid one will surely have a free demo download. Some are much easier for this purpose than others. I even seem to remember that Windows has one built in now. But the drag and drop batch mode is a must.