IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phormium

steve 9atx

All

Looking for some cultivar recommendations for New Zealand flax and internet sources for purchase.  I need two or three colors that will work in full sun in my zone.  Where I'm putting them, they can't get giant, maybe 4' wide and tall max.  Blacks and purples would be bonus.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Steve--

Don't know how well these will do in the rain/humidity (and clay soils?) of your area. Hopefully someone is growing them successfully.

Lots of cool colors, dwarf forms are available in CA. I suggest looking for growers there.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Steve,

I have had bad luck and have given up on growing Phormium here in full sun in our hot/dry summers.  They look like crap and then decline and die.  Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but they don't that great in commercial landscapes if they are in full sun either.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I had 65 1/2" of rain last year.  Would this turn them into mush?  Even in a raised bed?

Steve

Steve, I think Ken pointed out the toughest thing - rain/humidity. Just rain is fine. I have about ten cultivars in my garden and I have never lost one. They are planted in a tropical garden so I gets waters daily in summer. But in winter I cut WAY back. So rain is not the issue if the drainage is good. The humidity may be trouble.

As far as cultivars, there are tons. More every year. I am lucky in that my local nursery's buy from Monrovia Growers and San Marcos Growers which have a lot of selection. Some standard and some crazy. See Phormium 'Evening Glow' that Monrovia has.

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantIn....tart=11

http://www.smgrowers.com/search....11&y=13

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(steve 9atx @ Feb. 28 2008,20:12)

Looking for some cultivar recommendations for New Zealand flax and internet sources for purchase.  I need two or three colors that will work in full sun in my zone.  Where I'm putting them, they can't get giant, maybe 4' wide and tall max.  Blacks and purples would be bonus.
4' tall black or purple?  I would suggest Platt's Black.  It's stable and doesn't fade.  Here are some links - Platt's Black and Platt's Black 2

Another good one close to the color you want is Dark Delight.  But it might not like the heat in So. Texas.

Suncrest says: 'Dark Delight’. This is the latest sensation among phormium lovers. It is less rampant than most, slowly increasing from a narrow base. The leaves are up to 3’ (or more??) long and colored a uniform, vivid reddish purple.  

Dark Delight and Dark Delight 2

Here's some good general info - Phormium Info and Cultivars

Len is right - the rain isn't going to be a problem if they are in a raised bed and you give them good drainage.  The humidity might be your main problem.

I just checked Fairchild's list of living plants, and no Phormium. While Miami isn't Galveston, it's climate is closer to yours than is SoCal's. So I'm guessing it'll be a tough plant for you, Steve.

Maybe Eric is growing some at Leu Gardens in Orlando and can offer input.

Seems to me I remember seeing some in Austin and San Antonio, where, obviously, conditions are different than your area. But you may be able to pick some up or at least see some (relatively) close by.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

We have tried several cultivars here with no luck, they croak half way through summer. I think what gets them is the high night temperatures. So far our best substitute for it is Dianella tasmanica, Flax Lily. The striped form 'Variegata' has become very common in the last few years. They get 2-3ft tall. There is also a gold striped form called 'Gold Stripe' I have never seen the all green form sold. Some other Dianella species/cultivars are becoming available now.

D. tasmanica 'Variegata'

7ade.jpg

D. tasmanica 'Gold Stripe'

15aa.jpg

D. revoluta 'Little Rev'

7706.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks, Eric.  Our climates are similar enought that if you can't grow them, I wouldn't be able to either.  Nice substitue, though, and the little flowers are bonus.

Steve

Steve, I've been using THESE a lot the last 2 years with good success.  They have great color and stay under 3'.  We have large homes on small lots here in So. O.C. and many of the phormiums get too large for the spaces I'm trying to fill.  Here are two links - Festival Grass and 'Festival Grass' Cordyline

They like good drainage but that shouldn't be a problem in your raised bed with a little amending.