IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Snap in Florida

bubba

Our Media made a big deal out of a cold front that arrived in Florida.It got all the way down to 50F.in this area. What were the other temperatures you guys recorded around the State.Another 500 year freeze?

What you look for is what is looking

39.6 was my low here in N.W. Hillsborough Co.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

50 isn't bad, but PBIA recorded 44, with temps below 50F for nearly 9 hours.  The barrier islands are obviously the exception, not the norm.

30.8 here, but less than 1 freezing deg/h, so I didn't protect the A. alexandrae.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Lows Summary around the State---

Tallahassee - 27F

Jacksonville - 28F

Gainesville - 28F

Ocala - 28F

Orlando - 39F

Tampa - 42F

Clearwater - 43F

St. Petersburg - 46F

Palm Beach - 44F

Ft. Lauderdale - 48F

Miami - 50F

Key West - 59F

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

44F at my home.  I knew this was no big deal.  The sun gets too high in the sky and the days are long enough to offset most of these cold fronts.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

West coast wins this one, the infamous NW winds!!!

36.4F here in my yard in Titusville!

It was even warmer at my moms in Poincianna(just south of Kissimmee) which almost never happens 37.8F!

At least the weatherman got it somewhat right for here,after that 10F degree miss HIGH about 10 days ago! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

46-48F here last nite plus the wind help to mix the air.

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

(Ray @ Tampa,Feb. 28 2008,10:40)

44F at my home.  I knew this was no big deal.  The sun gets too high in the sky and the days are long enough to offset most of these cold fronts.

Ray,

I just saw on the news,that virtually none of these anti- depressants they are prescribing actually work?

Care to share what you are using these days,seems to be working? Or is it just, that March is finally here? :cool:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Feb. 28 2008,11:39)

West coast wins this one, the infamous NW winds!!!

Scott-

The winds were actually NE most of the night over here.  This really ticked me off! They said NW all night.  So, they were still wrong (and this should make you feel better).

Prior to midnight, the winds were NW and the temps were dead steady in the low 50's for hour on end.  At that point I was thinking....hmmm...maybe theyll miss this forecast by 10-12F on the good side  :D

Larry 

Well, I am one of the coldest as usual. 37.9F this morning in the back yard. Light northeast winds just absolutley suck for me. I too was in the low 50's until the wind shifted. Actually, I would not know for sure since my anemometer is out of order right now...  I am on the southeast corner of a small squarish pond, so light northeast winds blow away any of what warmth the pond might provide and bring chilled air from inland. Also, the back yard is wind protected from the northeast winds so it allows for localized radiational cooling. Need canopy now! Actually, I suffer less radational cooling when the winds are dead because the pond is of use then. Tonight promises to be another cold one for my back yard due to the forcased light northeast winds with clear skies. There may be a little more moisture tonight which is not necessarily a good thing as patchy frost could form in my back yard. Once past tonight, I think we are pretty much heading for continuous warmth with highs all in the 70s or 80s.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

It's really not so bad there.  Consider that you have several Veitchia in the ground that took very little damage.  Here in spring hill, that would never happen.

I'm beginning to get more optimistic about things, though.  I'm actually considering putting a Clinostigma in the ground next year.  I figure I can protect it the 3-4 times (average, this year was only twice) that we drop below freezing.  :)

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Bill,Our High here today was 70F. with a low of 50F.The Media was reporting the opening of shelters.It had to be a very slow news day!

Here in South Broward it reached 46.6 F for a low last night. The forecast was for low 40's and that caused a handfull of plants to make their way into the garage. Right now it is 54 F and the plants go out tomorrow.

Ryan

South Florida

42 a couple of hours ago.  40 yesterday morning.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

39.4F in the open yard here this morning around 2AM then it warmed somehow.  My other thermometer read 43.4F for the low, it is under a light palm canopy so there is no doubt that canopy is essential!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Low of 41.3 this morning.In the 4AM hour the wind (breeze) kicked in and temp. moved up a bit. Lets hope that is it for the cold this season.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

State Lows for this AM----

Tallahassee - 28F

Jacksonville - 33F

Gainesville - 30F

Ocala - 33F

Orlando - 46F

Tampa - 45F

Clearwater - 48F

St. Petersburg - 52F

Palm Beach - 51F

Ft. Lauderdale - 55F

Miami - 55F

Key West - 61F

Larry 

(bubba @ Feb. 29 2008,07:09)

It is 62F here. Guess I am headed to a shelter!

Bubba-

The highs and lows you report are usually higher than Key West!

Larry 

Ray,

I just saw on the news,that virtually none of these anti- depressants they are prescribing actually work?

Care to share what you are using these days,seems to be working? Or is it just, that March is finally here?  

LOL...The variety of pills works very well.  March goes a long way toward helping the winter time blues.  Bring on spring, my favorite time of year.

Only 46F this morning.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

39.6F here in Titusville

I guess that is offically 40F?

Is that the way it works?  39.1 F to 39.4F would be rounded down 39F ? 39.5F to 39.9 F would be rounded up to 40F offically,just curious?

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I hit 37.0 last night.  I was actually staying right with clearwater until about 11PM, when the temp suddenly stopped dropping.  The wind was supposed to change E so that must have been it!

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Larry, Weather Underground listed West Palm at 65/44. If you pine down to Weather Stations and look at APRSWXNET/Boynton Beach,you will see this location not too far away from the West side of the Intracoastal shows a High/Low of 70/49.Key West reported 64/59 yesterday.I have no control over that.It is easily 75F here as I write this.West Palm Airport is in a known cold hole and reliably the coldest place in it's area.

What can I say.It is what it is. All I can say is what I see out my door on my thermometer.

Bubba-

I couldnt resist busting your chops!

My thoughts are just basd on the fact that all the amateur readings (many of which are on weatherunderground of course, including my station) are almost always so much less reliable than the official readings.  Many times, they just dont match up well.

One can reliably assume this is due to measurement method, location and/or equipment.

Of course, I dont apply this rationale to my readings :D

LOL.

But, the only raeson I say that is because I have taken great pains to ensure my sensor is calibrated, is at the standard measurement height, and is also in a fan aspirated enclosure.  Without this type of enclosure, my readings were always off.  

Granted, the average Joe is not going to go to these lengths with their weather stations.   But, they are then also not going to get readings comparable to the official stations then either.

Larry 

I think you have to take some of weatherundergrounds readings with a grain of SALT!Remember alot of these are amature weather stations,some,most with absolutely no calibration!

If the  sensor is not properly sheilded or installed you will get a FALSE high reading ,from the suns rays hitting it either directly or indirectly!

Just my 2 cents

edit: damn Larry beat me to i :D t!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Amateur/No amateur;reliable/unreliable-The High experienced here was 70F and the Low was 50F notwithstanding the fact that our airport reported 65/44.

The station referenced is a part of MADIS,which is nomenclature for the Meterological Assimilation Data Ingest System.These are not amateur weather stations and this locations results are much more consistent with what I experience even though I suspect it is generally cooler because of it's Westerly location compared to the beach.

Bubba-

In seriousness, the point is that so many of the readings we see reported are from thermometers hanging on windows, or hung on a house wall, etc.  Obviously, these readings are not going to compare well with readings taken in a more rigid fashion.   And, even among the actual weather stations on WU, there is little standardization (or requirement)between stations when it comes to even the basic station parameters, and as such, consistency can be spotty.  

As an example, there is another station near me that many times baffled me as to why, on dead calm nights, would read several degrees warmer than my station. It didnt make sense as this station was further east (i.e. greater distance from the Gulf).  One day I happened to be driving by where this station was and my wonder at why the readings from that station were as they were was answered.  The sensor was on a pole abouut 20 ft in the air with the anemometer!  Obviously, a reading at 20 ft is not comparable to one at 5 ft.

This is the crux of my point re: the "official" stations.  These stations have consistent methods of measuring temperature, an are thus as a whole more indicative of the true temperatures being experienced.

Larry