IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Waykoolpalms' place

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

So during my travels in Florida, part of the Holy Land of Palm Nuttery, I hooked up with Waykoolpalms who invited me to his place north of Miami.

And, I shrieketh with delight, howleth, with, well, howls, and braceth my portable swooning sofa . . . .

For those who are unfortunate enough not to know, WKP's place is pretty dang holy, all things considered.

Here's a Copie macro, with a mini-[skirt]

post-208-1204096249_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Another shot with a Palapa in the background.

post-208-1204096304_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Another fan palm, I knoweth not what.  Except that like a rose, it is lovely by any name.

post-208-1204096418_thumb.jpg

Corypha?

Fannalisciousciosity in the flesh . . . .

post-208-1204096467_thumb.jpg

Copies, I'm not moping, bad rhyme, but . . .

post-208-1204096516_thumb.jpg

By the pool . ..

No alligators in evidence.

post-208-1204096583_thumb.jpg

Palmate and spiny, sounds like some kinky fast food . . ..

post-208-1204096631_thumb.jpg

Raphia, I think.

And, I pulleth out my c-towel, and cryeth to the heavens, oh, why do I tortureth such a lovely palm at my Death Camp?  

Why?   :angry:

post-208-1204096931_thumb.jpg

Bigger scene.

Sorry my ID-ometer's failing, just enjoy the show . . .

post-208-1204097016_thumb.jpg

Swoon, another shot!

Momy!

post-208-1204097053_thumb.jpg

Closeup, too close . . . .

post-208-1204097087_thumb.jpg

Kaboom!

post-208-1204097123_thumb.jpg

Another [ob]scene

post-208-1204097157_thumb.jpg

Arenga undulatifolia, I think.

Swoooon . . .

post-208-1204097202_thumb.jpg

WKP's waterside palapa

post-208-1204097304_thumb.jpg

Sweeping swooning vista

post-208-1204097382_thumb.jpg

Me, eyes alert for the [people] in the White Suits, who cometh to taketh away . . . .

Ha ha

post-208-1204097480_thumb.jpg

The Shoe and What?

post-208-1204097537_thumb.jpg

Coryphyalucious coryphyalisciosity . . . .

That's all for now, folks.

post-208-1204097764_thumb.jpg

Man Dave, your Florida trip is the gift that keeps on giving.

A great selection of palms I can't grow, but enjoy looking at anyway. No attempts to ID, I'd be guessing.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dave,

Thanks for the great tour around Mike's garden. He's got one of the nicest piece of properties in all of Broward county. Large hundred year old oaks, a large pond, party"style" house. I really look forward to the tour this saturday, even though I have been there once or twice. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 27 2008,02:31)

Me, eyes alert for the [people] in the White Suits, who cometh to taketh away . . . .

Ha ha

You have the same expression as your avatar in this picture. :P  :D

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Dave, you don't realize how large the Corypha is until somebody stands next to it for scale. Unbelievable, makes you look like such a skinny little guy. :-)

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thank you for the WayKool shots.That Corphya reminds me of a house here where someone unwittingly planted one.It is now about to devour the house!

What you look for is what is looking

Does anyone have an id on post#10-Euterpe of some sort maybe?  Also, which Attalea sp. is #12?  Thanks for the photos Dave!

San Fernando Valley, California

Yeah, I spotted that Euterpe also Peter.  I think the flower is a dead give away.  It's hard to see the base but it seems to be a little smaller stemmed than a couple of E. precatorias planted together, so I'll guess the clumper, E. oleracea.  I'm just now regaining conscience from seeing that and fainting.  I'm a sucker for Euterpe.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(realarch @ Feb. 27 2008,10:29)

Dave, you don't realize how large the Corypha is until somebody stands next to it for scale. Unbelievable, makes you look like such a skinny little guy. :-)

Tim

I concede that dwarfing me is not an easy thing to do . . . . .

:)

It's a variegated ---

SOMETHING!

Looks like a teddy bear . . . .

post-208-1204176817_thumb.jpg

cALYTRONOMA?

post-208-1204176986_thumb.jpg

Bamboo, and Shoe, all's right with the world . . . .

post-208-1204177044_thumb.jpg

Silhouetted by the lakeside . . . .

post-208-1204177091_thumb.jpg

Dictyosperma, I think.

I cry for my own poor, tortured specimen . . . .

post-208-1204177142_thumb.jpg

Blurry, sorry, but still beautiful.

post-208-1204177201_thumb.jpg

Looks like Ravenea glauca

post-208-1204177253_thumb.jpg

Licuala

O O O O P P H H H H ! ! ! !

A swoon comes on . . .. .

post-208-1204177317_thumb.jpg

Don't what it is, but I have to smile when I look at it . . . .

Any-waaaaaaayyyyyyy ,. . . . . .,

:D

post-208-1204177389_thumb.jpg

Do the Arenga undulatifolia dance, it's really really DIRTY!   :P

post-208-1204177440_thumb.jpg

Little, but cute . . .

post-208-1204177598_thumb.jpg

Blurry but also too beautiful for me to be allowed to look at it!

:o  :o

post-208-1204177657_thumb.jpg