IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

February Gulf Coast Weather Alert

_Keith

Forecast lows here just dropped to 36 for tomorrow night.  If it holds that maybe means a freeze for some other parts of Northern Gulf Coast and Central Florida.

And at least I hope this is Winter's last stand here on the third coast.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Last I checked, it looks like the lows are forecast to stay in the lower to upper 40's around here depending on exact location.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Looks like they are going down on the low now for Tampa :angry: They are calling for 36-39Thursday morning. Let us hope this will not be the trend.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

We had this about a week and a half ago (39F).  No big deal.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

But unfortunately, it looks like the folks in Tally are heading for upper 20s.  Gainsville right at freezing.  

But alas, let us hope for the weather forecasters to be wrong once again, in the right direction that is.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

They're (NOAA) still saying 38F for me. There is supposed to be a breeze with this so likely there will not be too much frost. Forcast all the way down to 32F throughout Pasco county though.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

If the wind stays up and has any western component to it, then it won't get as cold as they say. The gulf and bay were back close to 70F recently.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(Ray @ Tampa,Feb. 25 2008,18:24)

We had this about a week and a half ago (39F).  No big deal.

Yup.  This evening, wx-r was saying mid-30s - but I guess they forecast "worst case" in the off-chance that things get nastier than expected, since it's much better being prepared for something that doesn't happen - than the opposite.

They're also saying strong storms are possible.  I'm just hoping we won't have high winds tomorrow.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

They're also saying strong storms are possible.  I'm just hoping we won't have high winds tomorrow.

But Sunny, don't you want the wind since it mixes the air/modifies the temperature?

Good luck guys, hopefully this be the last cold spell  :)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Feb. 25 2008,23:28)

But Sunny, don't you want the wind since it mixes the air/modifies the temperature?

Happ-

It depends on exactly where one's yard is!

In my spot, a NW wind is the best scenario.

In other areas (those very near the water), no wind at all is the best scenario.

Larry 

The forecasted rain before the front also has an affect on surface temps.  It won't be as cold if the ground is damp and radiating heat.   A good soaking before a cool night will also help out the plants.  

Like I said, we just went through this drill a couple of weeks back.  The only difference is this time, the meteorologists are forecasting lower.   We won't go to bed expecting 48F and wake up to 40F.  I'd be really surprised if they screw it up as badly this time around.

Ray

Noaa's forecast low for Gainesville on Wednesday night/Thursday morning is now 26F, the same low as Atlanta.

Big bummer.  

I thought I was going to make it through this year having to drag everything into the greenhouse only once.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Same here Jason, it's been pretty mild.  I've only had two days outside 10b (lots of 36-38's though).  One was 27.0 and the other was 32.0.  Looks like it'll be 3 days now...

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

NOAA has moved me down to 37F now. Looks to be pretty windy though so I am holding out that there should not be any frost with this.  I also hope there is no severe weather or tornadoes.

Of course, everything in my yard has tender new growth now...I hope it doesn't spot up too bad. Everything looks pretty crappy here already after that 29 degree debacle in early January. Freezing temps are forcast well down into northern Hillsborough county from the Citrus Park area to the New Tampa and USF area. The NWS seems to think this one is pretty strong.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I see that the low for Citrus Park is now 32 Thursday morning. The way it is going they will be calling for upper 20s by this time tomorrow.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 26 2008,05:09)

(happ @ Feb. 25 2008,23:28)

Happ-

It depends on exactly where one's yard is!

In my spot, a NW wind is the best scenario.

In other areas (those very near the water), no wind at all is the best scenario.

Some wind is okay, but............

Did you see the mess in Atlanta?  I think those were "just" straight-line winds of 60 mph, and they did some serious damage.  That's the kind of wind we can do without.

Wx-alarm just went off - New Port Richey has a tornado on the ground.  Hope it isn't too bad.  Fortunately for us they've cleared Pinellas County from the watch area.

Anyone in NPR, stay safe.

St. Pete

The local weather forcasters are only calling for upper 30's here tommorow night, with lots of wind. Not expecting a freeze up here on the Northwest coast.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The rain last night should help considerably.  Winds will be light tonight but strong enough to keep the frost away.

(cobra2326 @ Feb. 26 2008,13:17)

Same here Jason, it's been pretty mild.  I've only had two days outside 10b (lots of 36-38's though).  One was 27.0 and the other was 32.0.  Looks like it'll be 3 days now...

I was hoping we were pretty much through for this year.  I think the all time low for tonight is 25F so at least we won't be breaking any records up here.  Hopefully the weather.com forecast of 30F will be what we end up seeing.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Well, NOAA is being pretty pessimistic on this one with 34 and 35 degrees forcasted all the way down to the tip of FL near Florida City in Dade County. 38F forcasted for Homestead. They still have me forcasted for about 37. Tomorrow night is forcast for 41 but it may very well be even colder than tonight if the winds die down :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Last night bottomed out at 35.2 degrees but no frost due to ample winds.  Tonight that will not be the case.  Forecaster are calling for lows again near 35 but with a strong radiation effect and heavy frost.   Almost everything here is broken out in new tender spring growth so that is not good news.

Sure hope they're wrong.

It sounds nasty down South. I just talked to a friend of mine in Atlanta and when he helped close down the bars at 2 AM on the 26th, he walked outside into wet snow. He says there is still some around today under the shade of trees.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yes, New Port Richey got another tornado warning, 3rd since Xmas. Luckily, no touchdown. The one is January that destroyed out county jail was a doozy, rumbled over my house and shook everything. For some reason, we get hit a lot with twisters around here. Last Xmas St Leo got bopped, house torn apart. So far, 51.3F at almost 10pm with a light wind from the NW keeping us "toasty". I am much more worried about Fri morning with clear skies and calm wind...hope its the last! G~ in New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

(gsytch @ Feb. 27 2008,21:32)

Yes, New Port Richey got another tornado warning, 3rd since Xmas. Luckily, no touchdown. The one is January that destroyed out county jail was a doozy, rumbled over my house and shook everything. For some reason, we get hit a lot with twisters around here. Last Xmas St Leo got bopped, house torn apart. So far, 51.3F at almost 10pm with a light wind from the NW keeping us "toasty". I am much more worried about Fri morning with clear skies and calm wind...hope its the last! G~ in New Port Richey

Glad the twister didn't hit NPR.  They can be so awful.  Today it was reported that 2 touched down in Atlanta during Tuesday's storm.

Now we have to contend with tonight's cold snap.  They're still saying a low of 44 for us, but I dunno.  It's already down to 47 :(

St. Pete

This one was easy.

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 27 2008,18:41)

Last night bottomed out at 35.2 degrees but no frost due to ample winds.  Tonight that will not be the case.  Forecaster are calling for lows again near 35 but with a strong radiation effect and heavy frost.   Almost everything here is broken out in new tender spring growth so that is not good news.

Sure hope they're wrong.

My hopes came true.  

This time I won't complain about them being wrong.  

Gage bottomed out at 39.9 with only the tiniest bits of frost on the clover leaves.

All in all, a non-event.

37.9F with no frost. Really, looking at my weather station's graph it was a very short duration in the 30s right around sunrise this morning. I guess the wind must have calmed or turned to the northeast - either of which tends to let my back yard turn into an ice box. Someday I will have Oak canopy and this will not be a problem....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 28 2008,16:06)

37.9F with no frost. Really, looking at my weather station's graph it was a very short duration in the 30s right around sunrise this morning. I guess the wind must have calmed or turned to the northeast - either of which tends to let my back yard turn into an ice box. Someday I will have Oak canopy and this will not be a problem....

It's a rare day when I come out warmer than you.  But hey, I ain't complaining.

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 28 2008,19:16)

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 28 2008,16:06)

It's a rare day when I come out warmer than you.  But hey, I ain't complaining.

I think the front hit you the day before.

But, still only being a few degrees colder and that much father north is pretty sweet.

Larry 

Yeah, I know, but let me have my fantasies.  

Actually, like most gardeners, next to growing plants, my next best favorite thiing to do is whine about the weather.  

I can't complain, for the last decade, save for one 2 hour period, we have been a solid Zone 9b here.  

Not bad, but of course, it just incents us to plant thing we know we shouldn't.

And when the weather snaps us back into our zone of reality, pun intended, we shall just whine all the more.

Keith  :)

As you all know ,that is my favorite subject WHINNING about the weather! :D

Well actually that isn't true , I don't really whine about the weather,as the weather is what it is!  Granted I don't like cold freezing weather, but I can deal with it if I KNOW it is coming.

I WHINE about the guys who think they KNOW what the weather is going to do ,when in reality  most times they don't get IT right!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

It never froze up here.....34 degrees was the low around my house. I didn't cover anything and never put heat in my greenhouse. Looks like I am going to have my third consecutive zone 10a year! :)

However unlikely.....I hope March has no nasty suprises.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 29 2008,16:48)

It never froze up here.....34 degrees was the low around my house. I didn't cover anything and never put heat in my greenhouse. Looks like I am going to have my third consecutive zone 10a year! :)

David-

That is warmer than down here!  We got into the high 9b range this year (29-30F).

Larry