IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I wish to know how to..

Kris

i see something intreasting that one memeber has pointed out in his thread or a highly intreacted thread.

but i want to quote them in my posts or threads..which i think many members are able to do it easily..but iam unable to bring those information into my post as quotes why or what i must do_like to know the method please !

i hope i have made my doubts clearly explained !

that is carrying forward quotes from other posts or topics ? to our posts ?

Need help please..! since iam unable to bring in various methods of germination technicks into my post as quotes ? but all memebers are able to do this like a charm...where are the buttons or what should i press..to effect this option !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris you have a few options.

Obviously you know how to quote within the same thread, using the quote button, instead of reply.

If you want to quote from elsewhere, you can either use the quote button at the top of the reply box.  To do this, you press the quote button, which adds (QUOTE) to your post, then you write or paste the quote and press the quote button again, which adds (/QUOTE).  Please note, that it will actually be square brackets, not round, but if I use the square brackets here, it will just show a quote, rather than showing you what I am typing.

Here is an example of a simple quote.

To Be Or Not To Be

Your second option is to do this manually, by typing

(QUOTE)To Be Or Not To Be(/QUOTE)

Again using square brackets, the end result is the same.

If you want to add information about who or what you are quoting, if is done like this.

(Krisacher @ Feb. 25 2008,16:03)

I love Phoenix canariensis

This is done by typing

(QUOTE=Krisacher,Feb. 25 2008,16:03)I love Phoenix canariensis(/QUOTE)

Again using square, rather than round brackets.

It is probably easier you just type in the reference of the quote before or after the quote, rather than mess around with the Quote= thing.

I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Thanks Corey. You're making my job easier.

Or are you after my job?  :D

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

(Neofolis @ Feb. 25 2008,12:22)

Kris you have a few options.

Obviously you know how to quote within the same thread, using the quote button, instead of reply.

If you want to quote from elsewhere, you can either use the quote button at the top of the reply box.  To do this, you press the quote button, which adds (QUOTE) to your post, then you write or paste the quote and press the quote button again, which adds (/QUOTE).  Please note, that it will actually be square brackets, not round, but if I use the square brackets here, it will just show a quote, rather than showing you what I am typing.

Here is an example of a simple quote.

To Be Or Not To Be

Your second option is to do this manually, by typing

(QUOTE)To Be Or Not To Be(/QUOTE)

Again using square brackets, the end result is the same.

If you want to add information about who or what you are quoting, if is done like this.

(Krisacher @ Feb. 25 2008,16:03)

I love Phoenix canariensis

This is done by typing

(QUOTE=Krisacher,Feb. 25 2008,16:03)I love Phoenix canariensis(/QUOTE)

Again using square, rather than round brackets.

It is probably easier you just type in the reference of the quote before or after the quote, rather than mess around with the Quote= thing.

I hope this helps.

Now of course, doing it the second way bears some additional  responsibility to get the quote "exactly" right.  No guesses, paraphrasing, or it's close enough thinking.

A quote should be exactly that, a quote, an exact quote.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I was at my local nursery the other day and noticed they now have a few different types of Dynamite now out on the market.

This was made for Palms and Citrus. I've been using the one in the green and red cans for quite some time with good results. This looks really nice too...

Dynamite also had a "concentrated" formula of Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) that was packaged in the same type of Dynamite container.

Anyone try this?  ???

love conquers all..

43278.gif

PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 24 2008,06:57

I have difficulty germinating Butia seeds under controlled conditions, however the ones that fall on the ground, with mulch, under the mother tree, germinate eaisly. I removed a Butia about 5 years ago because it had genetic deficiencies (brown tipped all the time), and there are dozens of seedlings still germinating 5 year later. The same is true with my Trithrinax campestris. I think some seeds need to go through a heat/chill, wet/dry cycle to break the seeds dormancy.

Generally, I would say give the seeds plenty of heat with a light mixture and don't keep them to wet.

Dick

freakypalmguy @ Feb. 24 2008,11:10

Of all the seeds I am germinating, Butia are the slowest. I have had them on a heat mat for around four months without much luck. A few have sprouted out of hundreds so I'm not sure what is up. I think some of the seeds might have been old.

I also got some fresh B. capitata seeds from a neighbors tree and none of those have popped yet. I think I will try the cold/heat stratification method Dick suggested. I think I'll just pull one of the tubs out of my greenhouse and sit it outside for comparison.

I have read that they are difficult germinators and can take 6months to a year to sprout so I will be patient.

Good luck,

Matt

IPSPTModerator @ Posted on: Feb. 25 2008,18:32

Thanks Corey. You're making my job easier.

Or are you after my job?  :D

Kris :D

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Neo & Dear Keith  :)

first of all thanks for your time ! and its very kind of you both to teach me how to quote a text in once's posts..

And i have heard the saying "Knowledge is power" By Alexander Dumas.i simply happen to reaslise what that really means..since so many facilities are avaliable in our forum,which i actually i do not know how to use it.

And you have saved me the trouble of creating no authontic posts..

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

Now i have another question..

that is i see in few posts that the memeber puts his name highlighted but if you press that word it takes us to his home page or website..how are url's stored benieth a word or a term.so that the entire www.krisgardens.com/ is virtually hidden from our eyes.

usually it is highlighted as Null

And if you have time kindly explain what these buttons mean or do..

1.http:// ?

2.@ ?

3.Quote _ i am now well versed with it !

4.Code ?

5.Image ?

6.Flash ?

i suppose your replies will help people like me who do not know much in terms of forum buttons & keys...

thanks & lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dean, I have more than enough work on my own website thanks, I really don't need any more.  That said, in an attempt to be a big know all, let me explain to Kris about linking.

OK, Kris, it's very similar to the quotes in terms of syntax, although the forum software actually makes links even easier.  You will notice two buttons to the left of the Quote button, above the reply pane is another button labelled http://.

If you click this button, a box will appear asking for the address of the page you want to link to, e.g. http://palmtalk.org/ after entering the address, press OK and another box will appear, asking you to provide a name for the link, A Great Forum, the press OK again and all the code will be inserted into your post.

The result would look like this.

A Great Forum

Again you can enter the syntax manually.  To do so you would type.

(URL=http://palmtalk.org)A Great Forum(/URL)

As with my post about quotes, you would need to replace the round brackets with square brackets.

Again, if you just want a simple link, that just shows the link address you can type.

(URL)http://palmtalk.org(/URL)

Again replace round with square brackets, so like the simple form of the quote you just have a tag at the beginning and end of the address, in this case the URL tag.

This would look like this.

http://palmtalk.org

Having just previewed the post, I noticed that you don't even need the URL tags on this forum.  As long as you type the address including the http://, it automatically picks it up as a link, although you should be careful, because in links like the one for palmtalk which don't use www in front of the domain name, the forum will automatically insert www in front of it, which in some cases, this one included will not work, unless you include / at the end of the address.

i.e. palmtalk.org/ would work palmtalk.org wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Feb. 25 2008,22:20)

Dean, I have more than enough work on my own website thanks, I really don't need any more.  That said, in an attempt to be a big know all, let me explain to Kris about linking.

Thanks again Corey.

Feel free to field those types of questions anytime. I will never accuse you of being a "know it all."  :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dear Neo  :)

you are terrefic and thanks very much for the help & know how.

just try in it out :-

for all your photouploading requirements visit Here

And there is a another site too visit Here

Thanks & lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Feb. 26 2008,01:57)

And if you have time kindly explain what these buttons mean or do..

2.@ ?

4.Code ?

5.Image ?

6.Flash ?

i suppose your replies will help people like me who do not know much in terms of forum buttons & keys...since for No.1 & 3 you have clearly explained but the other 2,4,5,6 are to explained..do anybody know this and are you using these features ? kindly explain !

thanks & lots of love,

Need help for the following... :(

love conquers all..

43278.gif

OK Kris, here are the various buttons at the top of the reply pane in order.

The first three buttons are just for text formatting, Bold, Italic and Underline.

These can be achieved manually using

(B)Bold(/B), (I)Italic(/I) and (u)Underline(/u), not forgetting to use square brackets.

http:/, as we have discussed is used to add links.

The @ symbol is used to add an email link. email@address.org, however you should note that this will launch the email client on the computer of the user that clicks the link.

Again it can be done manually using

(EMAIL)email@address.org(/EMAIL) with the usual square brackets.

Quote again has already been discussed earlier.

Works the same way as quotes, but is used to signify that, what is contained within is machine code in whatever language is being discussed, probably not relevant to this forum

The format is (CODE)Type in some code(/CODE), square brackets obviously.

The image button allows people to insert an image into the flow of the text, by providing a link to the internet address of the image.  This will only work for an image that is already on the internet somewhere.  When you press the image button it open a box, which asks for the address of the image.  Enter the address, press OK and this is the result.

Dictyosperma_album.jpg

Entered manually, it would look like this.

(IMG)http://palm-trees.org/Dictyosperma_album.jpg(/IMG), again with square brackets.

The last button allows the inclusion of a Flash Movie.  This I can't demonstrate, because I don't know of a Flash Movie that is not copywritten off the top of my head, but it is similar in functionality to the image button.  After pressing the flash button, you are asked for the address of the flash movie, however, when you enter the address and press OK and second box will appear asking for the width, in pixels, of the movie, after entering and pressing OK, a third box will ask the height of the movie.  The end result is that the flash movie will be displayed in the flow of the text.

Again it can be done manually be entering,

(FLASH=200,150)http://palmtalk.org/movie.swf(/FLASH)

This would show the flash movie "movie.swf", located at palmtalk.org and the movie would be 200 pixels wide and 150 pixels high.

There you go, you are all forum teched up other than Emoticons and iB Code, which we can probably cover another time.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Now let me try the image button !

Trial

i found a beautiful image of a reptile hope you enjoy seeing it

2007126100015358433S425x425Q85.jpg

2007126100015358433S500x500Q85.jpg

2007126100015358433S600x600Q85.jpg

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Neo  :)

thanks thanks thanks...! yes the image button works...i do not have words in praise of you.if you are in front of me i would have kissed your hand. :)

yes indeed "Knowledge Is Power" !

And i wish to explain as to what i have done in the above post..Eleborately for others to do it right the first time itself !

First i visited this link in webshots.com site _

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2007126100015358433KTgkds

here that Cameleon still is there.just in the right hand corner their are the following :-

1)*  Link to it

* Share on... (New!)

* Email photo

* Comment

* Bookmark

* add to del.icio.us

* Download

* slideshow

Here double click the option 1) ...doing so it will take you to this page _

http://community.webshots.com/inlineP....3KTgkds

here you will find image res.option 100,200,425,500,600.

and below this you will see 3 large boxes stating..

here highlight the "Direct Link To Image" & copy the path contents..Now paste that info,when the image button is pressed in our forum reply page ! rest you can preview the image and check for the correct image size.

lots of love to you_Neo,

And by the way if you know more & have time to share that info,kindly do so in this post since..it will help new learners like me... :D

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Trial On Flash Animation ?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums....e88.swf

Love,

By the way Movie size res. was kept as default values..i.e 600x400 you can see exactly what it looks like ! i feel it as too big..

Mod Edit: Sorry Kris, I had to disable your flash because the sound was driving me crazy. If everyone started doing sound it would be a mess. So if sound is included with Flash, I will need to disable Flash all together.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Trial 2

here with the Flash moive res. kept at 200 x 150

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums....e88.swf

By the way this size seems to be bit okay for me !

Thanks & love to you_Neo  :)

Kris.

Mod Edit: Sorry Kris, I had to disable your flash because the sound was driving me crazy. If everyone started doing sound it would be a mess. So if sound is included with Flash, I will need to disable Flash all together.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

Let me explain how i went about posting that flash animation..

first i had to find a free movie download,so i searched google there are plently but irony i could not find any palm or plant related .SWF small sized flash file.but i must try to know how this works.so i downloaded a free flash movie file to my computer,this is usually in zip file format.i had to scan this file for virus.then saftely unziped it to a folder.

since i have an account in www.photobucket.com site all i had to do is upload this file into a designated folder.and while uploading this file never upload it as a movie file..but as a normal photo file..

Once the uploading is completed,simply view the uploaded file by double clicking the flash symbol highlighted on your uploaded file in your photobucket folder.immedietly it will take you to a new page and the flash movie will play on..

here is a catch,on the right hand side there will be various path given to the file.but use only the Direct Link To the Image Path.

Now in our forum write your message and then press the flash button and just give the path to the image and its Res.size,your done with the flash animation process..now before posting this movie.press preview post button to see how it has come out..you can alter the res.size any moment..at this stage !

try it to find out how simple the entire process is ! And if any one of you find a free animated birthday card or on plants kindly P.M the web address to me_Please ! :)

thanks & love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the sound in this topic ? In the Flash?

How to stop it !! very unpleasant  ??? ... I better like music !! :)

Mod Edit: I agree. See above.

\/______

/\ Ruddy

Beauvoisin , Gard, France

Zone 8b/9a

South of France

Languedoc,South of Nîmes

43°43'03"N / 04°19'03"E

• 1 month later...

When the clock strikes two, three and four,

If the band slows down we'll yell for more,

We're gonna rock around the clock tonight,

We're gonna rock, rock, rock, 'til broad daylight.

We're gonna rock, gonna rock, around the clock tonight.

When the chimes ring five, six and seven,

We'll be right in seventh heaven.

When it's eight, nine, ten, eleven too,

I'll be goin' strong and so will you.

When the clock strikes twelve, we'll cool off then,

Start a rockin' round the clock again.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friends :)

Can any one teach me,how to increase the font size of my signature.i am finding it difficult.and also how to add colour to our text or change the font to times roman.

for me it's totally not working ? the output is always the same size _ why ?

And i found that while adding a image link or a link to a image the photo or images starts from the margin line not at the prescribed or the desired point.this was not a problem in the old software ? you can see that in all my presnt birthday wishes thread.i wanted the image to start away from the margin but could not do it ?

thanks & love,

Kris :)

By the way the above note is not testing,but wish to get some help in that regard ! :rolleyes:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

hello friends,

hello friends,

hello friends,

hello friends....times roman !

hello friends....

hello friends...Comic sans !

just testing how to use rich text editior..since i had to learn how to use it !

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif