IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World's Largest Palm

_Keith

From Dubai

post-1207-1203955172_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yea, I have seen this before. I'll remember about it the next time I go fill my over priced diesel fuel into my truck. :angry:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That's not a palm, it's an amoeba.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I saw something about this on the CBS program 60 Minutes.Some of the lots sold originally for about $1million and now they are going for $4 million.No one seems to actually live there.Everyone is buying(investing)on pure speculation.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

(MattyB @ Feb. 25 2008,12:27)

That's not a palm, it's an amoeba.

:laugh: They think it is a palm, anyway.  I guess one's artisitc ability might be somewhat limited when the paintbrush is a sand dredge.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hmm.

I wonder how much compacting of that sand they did?

I would not want to build a structure on that "palm" and then live there.  The Arabian peninsula gets some nasty earthquakes now and again.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Jeff Searle @ Feb. 25 2008,18:50)

Yea, I have seen this before. I'll remember about it the next time I go fill my over priced diesel fuel into my truck. :angry:

Jeff

Overpriced?

You wouldn't like to have european prices...

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 25 2008,12:50)

Hmm.

I would not want to build a structure on that "palm" and then live there.  The Arabian peninsula gets some nasty earthquakes now and again.

Can you say "liquification" boys and girls? ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I saw a program on this, I think it was "Megastructures" on Discovery Channel, or something.  They did a *lot* of compacting--there was this whole elaborate machine that rapidly vibrated the ground while slowly pouring in just the right mixture of sand and water over it.  Still, anything that big and unneccessary--towers, planes, etc--freaks me out a little.  It reminds me of that SNL where Amy Poehler referred to the passenger jet with a wingspan the size of a football field, and its "transatlantic tap-dance on the razorblade edge of insanity."

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

(MattyB @ Feb. 25 2008,16:38)

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 25 2008,12:50)

Hmm.

Can you say "liquification" boys and girls? ???

Can you say:  Liquefaction?

Hey, urk!  Whadde-[sex expletive]'s going on?

Hey!

Helloooooooo!

HELP!

GLUG GLUG GLUG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have a friend who has been to Dubai twice for a job interview. He said they had just topped out

Richard Douglas

Wrong button......they had just topped out the tallest building on earth.....It's twice as high as the Empire State building. It is very humid there and the summer temps. can reach 130F (54.5C). About the only crop they export are dates. They have 40 million date palms. One tenth of the earth's tall construction cranes are in Dubai.

They also have a hotel built from dredged land in the Gulf that looks like the sails of a ship, and it's the only 7 star hotel on earth. Room rates begin at $2000 a night. Most of the rich in Dubai go to Europe in the summer. The ruler of Dubai is Western educated, very enlightened, and drives his own car. His license plate is #1.

I often wonder what palms would grow there besides date palms.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dear Keith  :)

thanks for that lovely marvel.it simply demonstrates what extent humans are capable off !  ???

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

bit heavy on the variegation if you ask me...............ah damn it, nobody asked me..........sorry.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Mar. 03 2008,12:00)

bit heavy on the variegation if you ask me...............ah damn it, nobody asked me..........sorry.

Shouldn't you be sleeping right now.  You sure get up early, or are you an insomniac like me.

Keith,

I know that was addressed to Wal, but I'm also a chronic insomniac. I go to bed early, but I may get up at any time of the night. Thank God, I have a computer and the web to keep me entertained. I read that 50% of the people in the US have sleeping dissorders.

Dick

Richard Douglas

When you guys go off topic you don't muck around.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Wal,

Your a smart ass!  Hows that for off topic?

Dick

Richard Douglas

OK guys, so what is off topic when you start with a amoeba looking design, built in sand dredged up from the sea, creating some super gigantic sandbar, and called a palm.

Besides, I have a hurt back right now and all of this rolling on the floor laughing is starting to hurt.  

Now where are my pain pills.

(scottgt @ Feb. 25 2008,12:02)

I saw something about this on the CBS program 60 Minutes.Some of the lots sold originally for about $1million and now they are going for $4 million.No one seems to actually live there.Everyone is buying(investing)on pure speculation.

Yeah, about $4 million right now. I am so glad I got mine when i did.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 04 2008,08:32)

Hey Wal,

Your a smart ass!  Hows that for off topic?

Dick

That's "you're a smart ass", not "your a smart ass" Dick.

:D  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 03 2008,04:26)

About the only crop they export are dates. They have 40 million date palms. One tenth of the earth's tall construction cranes are in Dubai.

Just a thought, but they ain't building that thar sand palm tree with DATE money!!! :;):

Texas tea,crude, liquid gold, (al la Jed Clappett) seems more likely to be the financier!

One final thought TSUNAMI!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Thanks Greenleaf, after all, I was born in a swamp. Honest.

Dick

Richard Douglas

One good tidal surge - and it's gone.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(scottgt @ Feb. 25 2008,14:02)

.....Some of the lots sold originally for about $1million and now they are going for $4 million ......

Cash?

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

(oppalm @ Mar. 05 2008,21:14)

(scottgt @ Feb. 25 2008,14:02)

.....Some of the lots sold originally for about $1million and now they are going for $4 million ......

Cash?

Either that ,or an equivelent amount in CAMELS!!!  :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Since we are totally off topic but still in Dubai.........There are a lot of camels there. They are allowed to roam around, and look for food, but the camels return to the homes in the evening where they are well cared for. The ones that aren't well cared for might not return home at night.  

There are lots of sporty fast cars in Dubai...as you can imagine. If you run over a camel during daylight, you can be sued for the cost of one. If you hit one after dark, you are not liable.  The owners of old camels which are not worth much hope you run over them during daylight hours. I have no idea what a camel is worth, but the nomads use them for transportation, milk and cheese. Camel milk and dates for dinner anyone?

Dick

Richard Douglas