IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who knows their Huntington?

BS Man about Palms

Through the impetus of Rays trip to LA and the generosity of Fred in Zone 10, I went to the Huntington on Sunday with Fred and we had a great time!

I took some pictures...with a camera....with film in it...someday, I'll get it developed!

ANYWAY, we went in the conservatory and saw a bunch of way cool palm between "mistings" !  The nice big red C. Renda, the Vershafeltii Splendida, and someting across the path from the Splendida, but not labeled. It looked like a palm from a nuclear holocaust , from above, nice big big leaflets like a Wallichia or a Veitchia, with nice whitish pale green crown shaft and about a 4" trunk, BUT at the bottom it was real weird!  It looked like it had octopus feet, or tails, or something. there were like 4 "tails as such, curled out and not really "in" the ground. (the main one was)

I didn't get a pic, and the one person on-site had no-idea,

Anyone know what it is?

Fred, Thanks again for a great day!!!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Sounds like a Socratea? Hopefully someone else will have seen it.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

was it spiny?sounds like aiphanes(?)perhaps?aiphanes

has a wallichia-type leaf...

just takin' a stab at it ???

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

My pleasure.  It was a fun day, but exhausting.  We spent about 4-1/2 hours there and still didn't see everything.

BTW, the digital camera I broke costs about $175 to fix.  I just bought a much nicer one on Amazon for about the same price.

I can't believe you're still using a Minolta SRT-101.  They were the "in" camera in the late 1960's.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

(bgl @ Aug. 30 2006,00:31)

Bill,

Sounds like a Socratea? Hopefully someone else will have seen it.

Bo-Göran

Bo!  You know your palms!!!!

I just looked in the Encyc. of Cultiv. Palms and thats got to be it.  Cool Palm, if not a little creepy.

Which of course begs the question....do you have any growing out over there? :P

Thanks for the help folks,

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Fred Zone 10A @ Aug. 30 2006,01:28)

I can't believe you're still using a Minolta SRT-101.  They were the "in" camera in the late 1960's.

Hey- it makes my dial-up seem modern!!!!

Bill,

Do we have Socrateas? But of course! :D

In this photo there are actually two Socratea exorrhiza. The taller one is the tall, slender palm just a little bit to the right of center. You can easily see the stilt roots on this one (and in photo #2 you'll see me standing next to those stilt roots). There is also a somewhat smaller one a little bit further back. This one is right smack in the center of the photo, and the stiltroots on this one are not quite visible in the photo.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1156964969_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And here I am standing next to the Socratea stilroots. I posted this photo in a thread on the old forum.

post-22-1156965212_thumb.jpg

This is a different individual, and it gives you an idea how far the stiltroots can travel away from the tree.

post-22-1156965365_thumb.jpg

Bo,

That's got to be the palm Bill and I saw in the Huntington Conservatory.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

(bgl @ Aug. 30 2006,15:13)

And here I am standing next to the Socratea stilroots. I posted this photo in a thread on the old forum.

Bo! Thanks for the pictures, like Fred said, I'm sure thats it!

Great to see you with one of your palms....I had pictured you looking totally different. Kinda like when you listen to a radio person for years and then finally meet one, they usually don't look like you pictured.

But for you thats good!  I Forgot that Bo is short for Boran, so I was picturing most Bo's I've seen as big, puffy looking Texas guys.....I always wondered how you manovered thru your garden!!!  lol  :laugh:

Bill

just to muddy the water, I was going to suggest Iriartea deltoidea

(must be this nasty hangover)

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Bill,

Big and puffy just wouldn't cut it in the jungle here! :)  I try to stay in shape because I want to still be here when my Lodoiceas reach maturity in 35 years or so... :P  

And not meaning to be picky, but my first name is a hyphenated double name, not "Boran"... (see below).

Palmazon,

This is what Iriartea roots look like. Very different from the Socratea roots!

Bo-Göran

post-22-1156997846_thumb.jpg

(bgl @ Aug. 30 2006,21:17)

And not meaning to be picky, but my first name is a hyphenated double name, not "Boran"... (see below).

Bo-Göran

NOT to be confused with "boron deficient"

Socratea it is, then

(take a bow, Bo)

I get by with a little help from my fronds

(bgl @ Aug. 30 2006,15:13)

Wow!  If I have the same specimen, it would be the focal point of my garden.

Hey Bo! Does it take 35-40 years for the double coco to Lodoiceas fruit?  If it does, you would have to add 3-5 years to be able to taste the fruit of your labor.

BigFrond,

I know, and I was only being half serious. First of all, no one really knows how long time it'll take here at our location, which is a little bit cooler than their native habitat. Secondly, you need a male and a female. With three individuals in the ground, I won't know for many years if I have one of each, or if I have three of the same. But I DO want to stick around long enough to see them get REAL huge!

Bo-Göran

Bo was indeed right.  A friend of mine at Huntington, Kathy Musial, confirmed his ID, Socratea exorrhiza.  She's been there for 24 years and her job is:

"...curator of living collections, whose wide-ranging responsibilities include managing all acquisitions to the Garden’s permanent collections, as well as verifying the identification and correct nomenclature for all the plants in the collections....."

She said the reason the palm doesn't have a label yet is that she's still trying to get the information from the director on where he got it.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Pretty cute knees, Bo-Göran. :;):

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

I am a great fan of Bo's Socrateas too, especially the shortest one in the left, in the first picture. I have managed to transplant a large 2 m tall seedling last year, but my crazy employee has later killed it by pulling a long heavy hose across the garden. Now I only have many small seedlings but I was thinking of buying some more of these I've seen at a nursery here:

post-157-1157060832_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Diane,

No one ever told me that before! :)

And Gileno,

I'm impressed - transplanting/moving Socrateas is a tricky operation. Even with seedlings you're bound to lose a fairly high percentage.

Bo-Göran

(Diane Kirkland @ Aug. 31 2006,16:25)

Bo was indeed right.  A friend of mine at Huntington, Kathy Musial, confirmed his ID, Socratea exorrhiza.  She's been there for 24 years and her job is:

"...curator of living collections, whose wide-ranging responsibilities include managing all acquisitions to the Garden’s permanent collections, as well as verifying the identification and correct nomenclature for all the plants in the collections....."

She said the reason the palm doesn't have a label yet is that she's still trying to get the information from the director on where he got it.

Diane! Thanx for the confirmation thru your contact.

Bo-  Very sorry about messing up your name :(

Bill

Bill,

Not to worry! That's why most people just call me Bo. :)

Bo-Göran