IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your Winter's Lowest temperature

Jim in Los Altos

Your Winter's Lowest temperature  

3 members have voted

1. 1.

• Below 10F
    • Between 10F and 20F
    • Between 21F and 25F
    • Between 26F and 30F
    • Between 31F and 35F
    • Between 36F and 40F
    • Above 40F

With winter coming to a close, I thought it would be interesting to know how cold it got in some of our member's yards. That's a hard question for those on hilly properties so maybe give us an average of the lowest temps. recorded on your probes. My lowest this winter was 34F.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Our coldest temperature so far this winter rainy season has been I believe 72 F.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Our coldest temp was 11.5f

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I hit 29.7F in December.

I'm sure it got around 32F a few times in January and February. I have managed to overwinter most bananas somehow.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Went down somewhere between 29F/-1.7C and 30F/-1.1C

Apparently it was the lowest temp in this area in the last 5 years or so.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

35F.  Just a hair above average for me over the last five or six years.

Steve

Texas translation for Bubba: "just an RCH above average".

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

We had a cold front this year and it got to 40F. That is about two RCH's colder than Happ!

What you look for is what is looking

My lowest this winter was 30.4 F (-0.9°C) for one night.

Only one more night with temperature below zero C and that one was 31.3 F (-0.4°C).

Both for 1-2 hours

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

4.5C (40F) on Jan 24.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

34.7 F this year.  Beats the heck out of the 28 deg. last year.  But, January was chilly and consistently wet, and I think that actually did more damage.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

I feel like I got ripped off this winter. Everyone else is praising the warm winter and well it got cold here this winter and left lasting damage. This winter tested my landscape. So far everythinhg of importance seems to be able to take a high 9B Florida winter. Really, this is a good thing. I takes some of my uncertainty away. Now, it is easy enough protect smallish palms from cold, how do I protect from them from tropical storms and hurricanes? Damn it is a bitch growing palms on the west coast of FL.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Don't feel bad Bill, we all know there's more to growing marginal palms than just looking at the low temps, especially as brief as they are in your area.  I've seen with my own two eyes the magic your daytime highs work  :D   Heck, you had some baby bottle palms survive, right?

My low so far has been 38; January was a rough month at 60/49 (avg 62/50) but December and February are making up for it (68/54 each, when avg is supposed to be 64/52).

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Not sure what to vote for.  Our area had a temperature of -6°C/21°F back in November, but the lowest reading from my garden is -0.5°/31°F.  Whilst I'm not 100% convinced of the accuracy of my readings, my garden has been totally frost free.  That said, the Musa basjoo, which reaches above the height of the 1.8m/6' fence, got badly damaged on a couple of cold nights, but has been slowly growing in between.  Likewise, my Canna "Durban" is no longer visible and I'm relying on it coming back from the ground.  The Canna was well below the fence line and fairly sheltered, but then I'm not sure what their minimum temperature is.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

My lowest temp. was 28.3 on 1/03/08 It was below 32 for a little less than 6 hrs. With a avg.wind speed of 3.5 mph. I am still in shock that none of the 5 Adonidia palms are damaged.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

37.5 F (3.05 C) was the lowest in my yard this year, far better than last years cold.  Our daytime temps were some of the coolest in recent years however with not many 70's F temps and even fewer 80's this winter.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

The lowest temperature here in NW St Petersburg, FL was 30.1 in early January.  Other than the Traveler's palms having a few leaves burned, I thought everything came through well.  But after about 3 weeks my two Bottle Palms showed that the leaves that stood highest in the wind burned out.  But since then both of the Bottle Palms have put out full new leaves so I know they're ok.  Every time this happens I start thinking of taking the Bottle Palms out (and I think about it for a long time since they are so big and heavy).  By the time I've thought about it enough it's time to cut off all the damaged leaves and they look good again until the next freeze in 5-7 years.

38F at the top

32F at the bottom

98.6F near my bottom.

(yes moderator this is the edited version)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

30F on January 3 here in south Tampa.  The next coldest morning was 38F.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

29.5F on 1/3/07.

Ive had 3 other nights in the upper 30's (37-39F).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

28F, hit freezing overnight 5 times, just about average.  No freezing days after jan 2.  Wind was higher than normal this year(it was 10-15 mph during freezes at times), typically it is very still(nil wind) when it gets cold.  I planted 5 new evergreen canopy trees to blunt future cold effects, provide friendly spots for the more some cold sensitive seedling palms I have.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

28.9F on Jan 3rd, below freezing for 6-8 hours easily the coldest since '96. No warm winds that night! Several nights in the 30's sandwiched between many afternoons in the 80F range. It also has been rather humid for winter, too. Rainfall not bad...over 1 1/2" from the past week for Feb is pretty darn good! However, that one night in Jan did its damage, Weird damage, too. Some stuff heavily damaged in one part of the yard....others parts of the yard untouched. The Bromeliads all came thru fine and no palm damage of any kind anywhere. G~ in New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Greg-

Although I would like to as well, you are forgetting January 2003!  It was colder then than this past January.  I remember seeing lots of really badly burned Foxtails in 2003.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

12.2 here east of Richmond, Va. The needles and minors have all done great with only some extra mulch.  The windmills have taken a beating tho. My Butia  has done very good with some protection.

P3020001.jpg

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

23.3F on 3 January, 15 hours below freezing. About a half-dozen freezing episodes this winter, three could classify as hard freezes lasting more than just a few hours. December was rather chilly and wet but only a couple of slight frosts. January was cold and wet, February was relatively mild, March was looking good until today where now (apparently) here comes another freeze tonight and/or tomorrow night. I still can hardly believe that I'm watching it snow outside my windows here in March. I am just glad I resisted the temptation to plant some really tender things last weekend when temps were balmy and pushing 80. It is really true that the only thing between southern Mississippi and the Arctic is barbed wire. Enough already!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

(mnorell @ Mar. 07 2008,18:55)

23.3F on 3 January, 15 hours below freezing. About a half-dozen freezing episodes this winter, three could classify as hard freezes lasting more than just a few hours. December was rather chilly and wet but only a couple of slight frosts. January was cold and wet, February was relatively mild, March was looking good until today where now (apparently) here comes another freeze tonight and/or tomorrow night. I still can hardly believe that I'm watching it snow outside my windows here in March. I am just glad I resisted the temptation to plant some really tender things last weekend when temps were balmy and pushing 80. It is really true that the only thing between southern Mississippi and the Arctic is barbed wire. Enough already!

Don't feel bad, the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence, and it's down.

This is a very interesting thread.  I seems that Although alot of the areas with similar absolute lows might appear to be the same, I would think how the temps rebound during the day, and how often we get these lows would have a huge impact on what can be grown......    If  NW Florida gets an absolute low of say 18 or 20f one or 2x, I think it could probably still grow more palms then  a place like coastal MD or VA that gets the same lows but has consistant lows in the mid -high 20's or 30's and only rebounds to the mid 40's or 50's during the day.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 09 2008,11:35)

This is a very interesting thread.  I seems that Although alot of the areas with similar absolute lows might appear to be the same, I would think how the temps rebound during the day, and how often we get these lows would have a huge impact on what can be grown......    If  NW Florida gets an absolute low of say 18 or 20f one or 2x, I think it could probably still grow more palms then  a place like coastal MD or VA that gets the same lows but has consistant lows in the mid -high 20's or 30's and only rebounds to the mid 40's or 50's during the day.

Good point, even the coldest areas of FL (the panhandle) average in the 60s for highs in January.  Same with my area, there is always a big rebound to the 60s/70s/80s after every cold snap even in the dead of winter.  I count on those big rebounds to get me through winter.

My low in Walnut Creek, N. Calif., was 25.5 F (-3.5C) in December, but I had about 2 or 3 weeks of just at, or below freezing and many frosty nights. Jan was also below normal and wet. Most of my palms are cold hardy and I've detected no damage. I've had no frost the last two weeks of Feb and all of March, so far. It's been mild here all of March with many days reaching 70F (21.5C).

I don't consider it growing season here until the nights remain above 50F, and most of my nights are still in the low to mid 40's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 10 2008,06:49)

My low in Walnut Creek, N. Calif., was 25.5 F (-3.5C) in December, but I had about 2 or 3 weeks of just at, or below freezing and many frosty nights. Jan was also below normal and wet. Most of my palms are cold hardy and I've detected no damage. I've had no frost the last two weeks of Feb and all of March, so far. It's been mild here all of March with many days reaching 70F (21.5C).

I don't consider it growing season here until the nights remain above 50F, and most of my nights are still in the low to mid 40's.

Dick

Geez, your place is cold.  You must get a lot of cold air rolling off Diablo, then pooling.  Edith in Atherton says she is in an area when cold air pools like that.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Dick makes a strong and valid point in his observation that he does not consider it "growing season"until low temperatures exceed 50 degreesF.Very few truly Tropical specimens photosynthesize below 50 degreesF.This leads ultimately to the death of the specimen.Simply stated, it remains dormant too long and expires because of what amounts to starvation.This is the case even if the temperature does not drop below freezing.

What you look for is what is looking

• 2 weeks later...

My low this year was 30F, which is average here. What wasn't average was how many days it was in the 30s. Here's my final Winter tally, and I noted days where we had a record low for that date.

December

03 - 36F

04 - 38F

05 - 39F

10 - 37F record

12 - 36F

13 - 35F

14 - 34F

15 - 36F

16 - 38F

17 - 37F

18 - 39F

21 - 39F

22 - 33F record

23 - 36F

25 - 36F

26 - 30F record

27 - 33F

28 - 30F record

29 - 39F

30 - 34F

31 - 34F

January

01 - 35F

02 - 39F

14 - 37F

15 - 36F

17 - 39F

18 - 34F

19 - 32F record

20 - 32F record

23 - 39F

31 - 38F

February

01 - 34F

05 - 37F

06 - 33F

07 - 34F

08 - 36F

09 - 34F

10 - 37F

11 - 38F

12 - 38F

14 - 34F

15 - 30F record

16 - 33F record

17 - 36F record

18 - 39F

23 - 37F

26 - 38F

March

03 - 37F

04 - 34F

06 - 34F record

08 - 38F

09 - 37F

10 - 38F

16 - 37F record

17 - 33F record

18 - 32F record

21 - 37F

22 - 36F

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry, when you said it was a colder than normal year, I had no idea it was to that extent.  That is a whole lot of records to break in a single year, and over a 4 month period as well.  Wow.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages