• Below 10F
    • Between 10F and 20F
    • Between 21F and 25F
    • Between 26F and 30F
    • Between 31F and 35F
    • Between 36F and 40F
    • Above 40F

Jim in Los Altos

With winter coming to a close, I thought it would be interesting to know how cold it got in some of our member's yards. That's a hard question for those on hilly properties so maybe give us an average of the lowest temps. recorded on your probes. My lowest this winter was 34F.

happ

42F /5.5c on 1/24/08

amazondk

Our coldest temperature so far this winter rainy season has been I believe 72 F.

dk

BobbyinNY

Our coldest temp was 11.5f

osideterry

I hit 29.7F in December.

I'm sure it got around 32F a few times in January and February. I have managed to overwinter most bananas somehow.

ruskinPalms

Went down somewhere between 29F/-1.7C and 30F/-1.1C

Apparently it was the lowest temp in this area in the last 5 years or so.

steve 9atx

35F.  Just a hair above average for me over the last five or six years.

Steve

Texas translation for Bubba: "just an RCH above average".

bubba

We had a cold front this year and it got to 40F. That is about two RCH's colder than Happ!

Pivi

My lowest this winter was 30.4 F (-0.9°C) for one night.

Only one more night with temperature below zero C and that one was 31.3 F (-0.4°C).

Both for 1-2 hours

NBTX11

26F on the 20th of January.  Was below 30F 9 times this winter (between 26F - 29F)

mppalms

34.7 F this year.  Beats the heck out of the 28 deg. last year.  But, January was chilly and consistently wet, and I think that actually did more damage.

Jason

ruskinPalms

I feel like I got ripped off this winter. Everyone else is praising the warm winter and well it got cold here this winter and left lasting damage. This winter tested my landscape. So far everythinhg of importance seems to be able to take a high 9B Florida winter. Really, this is a good thing. I takes some of my uncertainty away. Now, it is easy enough protect smallish palms from cold, how do I protect from them from tropical storms and hurricanes? Damn it is a bitch growing palms on the west coast of FL.

surgeon83

Don't feel bad Bill, we all know there's more to growing marginal palms than just looking at the low temps, especially as brief as they are in your area.  I've seen with my own two eyes the magic your daytime highs work  :D   Heck, you had some baby bottle palms survive, right?

My low so far has been 38; January was a rough month at 60/49 (avg 62/50) but December and February are making up for it (68/54 each, when avg is supposed to be 64/52).

Neofolis

Not sure what to vote for.  Our area had a temperature of -6°C/21°F back in November, but the lowest reading from my garden is -0.5°/31°F.  Whilst I'm not 100% convinced of the accuracy of my readings, my garden has been totally frost free.  That said, the Musa basjoo, which reaches above the height of the 1.8m/6' fence, got badly damaged on a couple of cold nights, but has been slowly growing in between.  Likewise, my Canna "Durban" is no longer visible and I'm relying on it coming back from the ground.  The Canna was well below the fence line and fairly sheltered, but then I'm not sure what their minimum temperature is.

Scott Mcintosh

My lowest temp. was 28.3 on 1/03/08 It was below 32 for a little less than 6 hrs. With a avg.wind speed of 3.5 mph. I am still in shock that none of the 5 Adonidia palms are damaged.

Don Little

37.5 F (3.05 C) was the lowest in my yard this year, far better than last years cold.  Our daytime temps were some of the coolest in recent years however with not many 70's F temps and even fewer 80's this winter.

simona

Our coldest temperature this winter was -4C (24.8 F)

JimStPete

The lowest temperature here in NW St Petersburg, FL was 30.1 in early January.  Other than the Traveler's palms having a few leaves burned, I thought everything came through well.  But after about 3 weeks my two Bottle Palms showed that the leaves that stood highest in the wind burned out.  But since then both of the Bottle Palms have put out full new leaves so I know they're ok.  Every time this happens I start thinking of taking the Bottle Palms out (and I think about it for a long time since they are so big and heavy).  By the time I've thought about it enough it's time to cut off all the damaged leaves and they look good again until the next freeze in 5-7 years.

MattyB

38F at the top

32F at the bottom

98.6F near my bottom.

(yes moderator this is the edited version)

SubTropicRay

30F on January 3 here in south Tampa.  The next coldest morning was 38F.

spockvr6

29.5F on 1/3/07.

Ive had 3 other nights in the upper 30's (37-39F).

JeffreyApolloBeach

It was 30F on 1/3/08 at my house.

Jeffrey

Eric in Orlando

31F on Jan. 3.

sonoranfans

28F, hit freezing overnight 5 times, just about average.  No freezing days after jan 2.  Wind was higher than normal this year(it was 10-15 mph during freezes at times), typically it is very still(nil wind) when it gets cold.  I planted 5 new evergreen canopy trees to blunt future cold effects, provide friendly spots for the more some cold sensitive seedling palms I have.

gsytch

28.9F on Jan 3rd, below freezing for 6-8 hours easily the coldest since '96. No warm winds that night! Several nights in the 30's sandwiched between many afternoons in the 80F range. It also has been rather humid for winter, too. Rainfall not bad...over 1 1/2" from the past week for Feb is pretty darn good! However, that one night in Jan did its damage, Weird damage, too. Some stuff heavily damaged in one part of the yard....others parts of the yard untouched. The Bromeliads all came thru fine and no palm damage of any kind anywhere. G~ in New Port Richey

spockvr6

Greg-

Although I would like to as well, you are forgetting January 2003!  It was colder then than this past January.  I remember seeing lots of really badly burned Foxtails in 2003.

JBa3Fan

12.2 here east of Richmond, Va. The needles and minors have all done great with only some extra mulch.  The windmills have taken a beating tho. My Butia  has done very good with some protection.

P3020001.jpg

mnorell

23.3F on 3 January, 15 hours below freezing. About a half-dozen freezing episodes this winter, three could classify as hard freezes lasting more than just a few hours. December was rather chilly and wet but only a couple of slight frosts. January was cold and wet, February was relatively mild, March was looking good until today where now (apparently) here comes another freeze tonight and/or tomorrow night. I still can hardly believe that I'm watching it snow outside my windows here in March. I am just glad I resisted the temptation to plant some really tender things last weekend when temps were balmy and pushing 80. It is really true that the only thing between southern Mississippi and the Arctic is barbed wire. Enough already!

Jimbean

34 on 1-3

NBTX11

(mnorell @ Mar. 07 2008,18:55)

23.3F on 3 January, 15 hours below freezing. About a half-dozen freezing episodes this winter, three could classify as hard freezes lasting more than just a few hours. December was rather chilly and wet but only a couple of slight frosts. January was cold and wet, February was relatively mild, March was looking good until today where now (apparently) here comes another freeze tonight and/or tomorrow night. I still can hardly believe that I'm watching it snow outside my windows here in March. I am just glad I resisted the temptation to plant some really tender things last weekend when temps were balmy and pushing 80. It is really true that the only thing between southern Mississippi and the Arctic is barbed wire. Enough already!

Don't feel bad, the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence, and it's down.

BobbyinNY

This is a very interesting thread.  I seems that Although alot of the areas with similar absolute lows might appear to be the same, I would think how the temps rebound during the day, and how often we get these lows would have a huge impact on what can be grown......    If  NW Florida gets an absolute low of say 18 or 20f one or 2x, I think it could probably still grow more palms then  a place like coastal MD or VA that gets the same lows but has consistant lows in the mid -high 20's or 30's and only rebounds to the mid 40's or 50's during the day.

NBTX11

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 09 2008,11:35)

This is a very interesting thread.  I seems that Although alot of the areas with similar absolute lows might appear to be the same, I would think how the temps rebound during the day, and how often we get these lows would have a huge impact on what can be grown......    If  NW Florida gets an absolute low of say 18 or 20f one or 2x, I think it could probably still grow more palms then  a place like coastal MD or VA that gets the same lows but has consistant lows in the mid -high 20's or 30's and only rebounds to the mid 40's or 50's during the day.

Good point, even the coldest areas of FL (the panhandle) average in the 60s for highs in January.  Same with my area, there is always a big rebound to the 60s/70s/80s after every cold snap even in the dead of winter.  I count on those big rebounds to get me through winter.

PalmGuyWC

My low in Walnut Creek, N. Calif., was 25.5 F (-3.5C) in December, but I had about 2 or 3 weeks of just at, or below freezing and many frosty nights. Jan was also below normal and wet. Most of my palms are cold hardy and I've detected no damage. I've had no frost the last two weeks of Feb and all of March, so far. It's been mild here all of March with many days reaching 70F (21.5C).

I don't consider it growing season here until the nights remain above 50F, and most of my nights are still in the low to mid 40's.

Dick

ghar41

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 10 2008,06:49)

My low in Walnut Creek, N. Calif., was 25.5 F (-3.5C) in December, but I had about 2 or 3 weeks of just at, or below freezing and many frosty nights. Jan was also below normal and wet. Most of my palms are cold hardy and I've detected no damage. I've had no frost the last two weeks of Feb and all of March, so far. It's been mild here all of March with many days reaching 70F (21.5C).

I don't consider it growing season here until the nights remain above 50F, and most of my nights are still in the low to mid 40's.

Dick

Geez, your place is cold.  You must get a lot of cold air rolling off Diablo, then pooling.  Edith in Atherton says she is in an area when cold air pools like that.

bubba

Dick makes a strong and valid point in his observation that he does not consider it "growing season"until low temperatures exceed 50 degreesF.Very few truly Tropical specimens photosynthesize below 50 degreesF.This leads ultimately to the death of the specimen.Simply stated, it remains dormant too long and expires because of what amounts to starvation.This is the case even if the temperature does not drop below freezing.

osideterry

My low this year was 30F, which is average here. What wasn't average was how many days it was in the 30s. Here's my final Winter tally, and I noted days where we had a record low for that date.

December

03 - 36F

04 - 38F

05 - 39F

10 - 37F record

12 - 36F

13 - 35F

14 - 34F

15 - 36F

16 - 38F

17 - 37F

18 - 39F

21 - 39F

22 - 33F record

23 - 36F

25 - 36F

26 - 30F record

27 - 33F

28 - 30F record

29 - 39F

30 - 34F

31 - 34F

January

01 - 35F

02 - 39F

14 - 37F

15 - 36F

17 - 39F

18 - 34F

19 - 32F record

20 - 32F record

23 - 39F

31 - 38F

February

01 - 34F

05 - 37F

06 - 33F

07 - 34F

08 - 36F

09 - 34F

10 - 37F

11 - 38F

12 - 38F

14 - 34F

15 - 30F record

16 - 33F record

17 - 36F record

18 - 39F

23 - 37F

26 - 38F

March

03 - 37F

04 - 34F

06 - 34F record

08 - 38F

09 - 37F

10 - 38F

16 - 37F record

17 - 33F record

18 - 32F record

21 - 37F

22 - 36F

_Keith

Terry, when you said it was a colder than normal year, I had no idea it was to that extent.  That is a whole lot of records to break in a single year, and over a 4 month period as well.  Wow.