IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

African Oil Palm (Elaeis guineensis)

_Keith

African Oil Palm (Elaeis guineensis)

I have seen this palm, depending on the site, rated anywhere from 10b to 8b.  Does anyone have any real world idea as to how cold hardy this palm really is?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

I have had one in the ground for about 4 years, and it is about Six feet high.  Two years ago mine went through a hard freeze in Palm Bay, Fl.  Hit 32F at 10pm, and my low was 27.5.  I had about 60% leaf burn.  It grew back nice by late summer.  I would say 9a, and that is pushing it.  Wind really bothers the palm when it is young.  Mine is just down right UGLY :P  I heard it does grow out of this as it gets older.  Mine also started to produce seed last year.  

Bruce

Growing rare palm in Central Florida

Zone 10a

Bruce

Almost an impossible grow in So Cal.  (Thank Goodness)  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(PostmanSeb @ Feb. 21 2008,21:01)

Keith,

I have had one in the ground for about 4 years, and it is about Six feet high.  Two years ago mine went through a hard freeze in Palm Bay, Fl.  Hit 32F at 10pm, and my low was 27.5.  I had about 60% leaf burn.  It grew back nice by late summer.  I would say 9a, and that is pushing it.  Wind really bothers the palm when it is young.  Mine is just down right UGLY :P  I heard it does grow out of this as it gets older.  Mine also started to produce seed last year.  

Bruce

I have a small one.  Guess, I'll stick it in a decent microclimate and wish it well.  Maybe I'll get a few good years of it, along with my Royal and King palms.  If Global Warming holds for a bit, that is.

If not, Ce la Vie'

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This palm will burn in a frost, but to outright kill the plant takes some serious cold....possibly 25 or less.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Keith-

The foliage on these palms is ultra tender.  They will look ugly in any freeze at all.  But, the palm itself seems relatively  tough.  There are a pair moderately sized ones (maybe 20-25 ft tall) in a yard down the street from my parents house.  These have been there for some time, so we know theyve seen a few freezes and are still standing.  

My father also have a pair of them, but they are alot smaller (maybe 8-10 ft).  At 29.5F in early January, the foliage on them was what I would call severely burned.  The aforementioned larger oens down the street look far less damaged.  It looks like mostly dessication rather than outright browning of fronds.

But, these palms pump out leaves fast fast fast.  They canb easily replace the canopy in one year.  Even my father's smaller ones pump out 10+ leaves a year.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Keith--

Not sure about cold-hardiness, but I will concur with what others have said about wind damage and growth rate. Seen a few in Dade Co that were hammered by Wilma and Katrina, losing almost all fronds. Within a year, they were fully recovered.

That said, you might just mound mulch over the tip on young trees when frost threatens, let the foliage go to the cold, and let it leaf out again in Spring.

Maybe Eric has one up at Leu?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Keith,

According to Alan Meerow, in his book of cold hardy palms, minimum temps for Elaeis Guineensis without receiving any damage is 29f. -1.7c.

From what some of the other posters stated, heck, try it.

Who knows, you might just make it.

Marvin

Waller County,Tx.

Just for scale purposes, I have a 5-footer that's been in the ground for a little over a year. During our 1-night cold snap in January, we got down to 33 degrees. The Elais, exposed to the northern winds, suffered a bad burn on a newly opened leaf and a few tip burns on the other leaves. Never bothered it much, however.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

Here is what they look like when they get big.  I have lately begun appreciating more this palm.  In fact I have 3 to plant now.  There are a lot of them planted around the streets here.

pq102.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don--

Great shot! They definitely improve with age.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

yes, we do have one here at Leu Gardens. It was planted in spring 1994 and is now about 12ft tall overall. Back in Feb. '96, it defoliated aftyer 26F and even the spear pulled. i trunk cut it down and it recovered, they do grow back fast. Since then it has been fine. The night of 27F in Jan. 2003 burned some foliage but it survived. We also have a young E. oleifera, the hardiness seems very similar.

There are 2 big speciemens at the FIT campus in Melbourne,FL. They were planted I believe in the 1960s and survived the 3 big freezes of the '80s (low 20sF). They are planted against the side of a building so they get some major protection. They seed heavily and hundreds of seedlings are sprouting nearby in a swampy location. Maybe these are the furthest north mature specimens in FL?

Here is our E. guineensis

5d50.jpg

E. oleifera

33b0.jpg

and here is  one at the FIT campus;

d90b.jpg

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Those are interesting shots.  I am in the process of exactly where and how far to space the three trees I have.  As I mentioned this is a very common landscape tree around Manaus.  The city got into using a lot of them in public areas a few years ago.  It is interesting to see the difference in growth rates between our climate, which virtually has no slow season for growth and one with a cold period.  The trees in the picture I posted are probably no older than the ones in your Garden.  I don't think it will take more than 5 years to get to the size of the one in your picture.  I guess I will know in a few years as I am going to be putting mine in the ground soon.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

E guineensis is also a popular landscaping palm here.  These are growing along the Quepos waterfront.  

DSCF0842.jpg

There are millions of these palms planted around this area as palm oil is big business here.  Unfortunately, seedlings pop up all over the place (like Sabals did in FL) and they are really becoming a pest.  When the palms get too tall to harvest the seeds, they poison them and plant new ones underneath.  It's quite a sight to see hundreds of acres of tall brown African Oil Palms.  I've heard they have come up with a dwarf version that stays smaller and more compact and makes it easier for seed harvesting.

Here are some shots of the African Oil Palm plantations from the air after taking off from the Quepos airport.  

DSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1200.jpg

• Upvote 2

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great pics Don, Eric and Jeff. It is a very nice looking palm. Wish it could be grown out here.

The palm plantation looks massive! Hope the environment wasn't messed up over putting all those palms in.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Joe, I'm sure there is an environmental impact  :(   But, that land was cleared many generations ago and was used for banana plantations until the banana blight wiped them out.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Keith, This is a sturdy tree.I know we are in different climates but based upon my experience down here with one in the back of my backyard, it is one fast growing big tree.I definitely think it would survive in your area,particularly if planted in a protected area.I recall seeing pictures of Triangles in your area and I believe this palm is hardier.

What you look for is what is looking

Those plantation pics are great, Jeff.  Nice straight rows, they look like they are planted on 20' or 25' centers.  The squirrels in the Arboretum spread the seeds all over the place.

In Cairns, Australia during the 2000 post Biennial, we saw Oil palms that were pulled from a defunct oil plantation and used as a landscape palm.  

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Whether one is in favor or against using these palms for oil production the remain extremely productive.  We have a lot of degraded land in our region where the use of such palms would not really present a problem.  In fact there are a few plantations around.  But, the largest area of plantations I belive is in Bahia were the cacau plantations were wiped out by fungus and a lot of oil palms were planted to take up the space.  And, Bahia is where the palm first came to Brazil from Africa as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Keith, it is cold hardy to upper 20's (F) from what I hear. You might want to try a similar looking tree: Acrocmia. It is more cold hardy, to about 20F and although it has thorns, those shed after it has about 6meters of clear trunk. It also grows very fast.

My sister (Kathryn) has one growing in south Louisiana (very fertile soil) and it has grown twice as fast as mine here in south Florida. Hers hit about 6 meters in height after only 4 years from a seedling.

South Florida, USA

Mild sub tropical climate - USDA Zone 10

26.9 deg. North latitude

Altitude (5.1 M)  

Winter avg. temp (15.6 C)

Summer avg. temp (28.1 C)

Yearly Rainfall approx. (1270 mm)

(palman @ Feb. 26 2008,19:23)

Keith, it is cold hardy to upper 20's (F) from what I hear. You might want to try a similar looking tree: Acrocmia. It is more cold hardy, to about 20F and although it has thorns, those shed after it has about 6meters of clear trunk. It also grows very fast.

My sister (Kathryn) has one growing in south Louisiana (very fertile soil) and it has grown twice as fast as mine here in south Florida. Hers hit about 6 meters in height after only 4 years from a seedling.

First, thanks to everyone for the feedback.  

I picked up the African Oil Palm as a late stage seedling labeled as 8b, only later did I see the conflicting info.

Thanks for the info Acrocomia aculeata.  I have one of those also.   I am stretching this zone for all it is worth.  

But putting enough hardy stuff in too, so that I don't suicidal when the big one comes.

(Jeff in Costa Rica @ Feb. 26 2008,16:22)

There are millions of these palms planted around this area as palm oil is big business here.  Unfortunately, seedlings pop up all over the place (like Sabals did in FL) and they are really becoming a pest.

I have three E guineensis in West Palm Beach.  Like Jeff mentioned, they are constantly sprouting all over the place.  I assume the squirrels are spreading the seeds.  They are very easy to transplant.  

IRT cold hardiness.  I have seen a few nights over the last several years down to 32 and never observed browning of the fronds.  However, the next few fronds that emerge are severely dwarfed.  But like mentioned several other times in this thread, E guineensis recover very fast.

I find these incredibly fast growing. Its only seen one winter though it was one of the coldest on record, showed little sign of damage. It didnt seem to even slow down in its growth. It has doubled in size in 14 months. It is hungry for plenty of water and nutrient rich soil.

Mike

post-250-1204262172_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

• 1 month later...

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 26 2008,20:33)

(palman @ Feb. 26 2008,19:23)

First, thanks to everyone for the feedback.  

I picked up the African Oil Palm as a late stage seedling labeled as 8b, only later did I see the conflicting info.

Keith-

If you want another one of these palms, I have a 3 gallon one you are welcome to when you come through FL.

Larry 

Dear Keith  :)

the following stills are all dedicated to you_My Friend...!  :D

And by the way in the first still,the person standing next to the palm in discussion is me... :P

And the location is lalbagh gardens(Banglore)...the climate is cool through out the year since it is located higher than the sea level.but no frost or snowing occurs in this zone and these stills were taken the day before i got married.and i did this coverage for our forum members.i will soon post all those lovely stills of this garden when time permits.

lots of love to you,

Kris  :)

And iam growing one in our house in chennai,it is growing in pot and is in it for the past 18 years.and this was a gift to me by our college gardner....since once i invited him over to our house....Dang ! he was stunned seeing our varities.and in our loyolla college their is a big old specimen this sapling was supposed to be gifted by a malayasian student long back.. ???

post-108-1208183851_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are few stills of the Oil Palm taken from a holiday sea side resort center in the outskirts of Chennai..

post-108-1208242062_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 months later...
Here is what they look like when they get big.  I have lately begun appreciating more this palm.  In fact I have 3 to plant now.  There are a lot of them planted around the streets here.

pq102.jpg

So Don. As I recall you planted these. How are they doing? I don't think mine is going to recover from winter and is a goner. It is not dead, but it refuses to push even a single new frond. The rains came late, so I thought that might do it, but it still sits there. I might nail it with some ammonium nitrate to either shock it into action or kill it for good.

Anyway, show us yours. Hope they are thriving.

Keith

Keith,

I hope to get over to my lot next week end or the following one and will take a picture to show you how they have done. They looked fine last time I saw them. By the way the pictures of Jeffs are the ASD palm plantation. It is a division of United Fruit of Chiquita Banana fame. They specialize in producing germinated palm seeds from genetically improved varieties. They have developed a few varieties that are more cold hardy from strains that come from upland areas in Africa. As Jeff mentioned the trees are replaced in 25 years. At this time you can acutally use their wood for lumber as well. For commercial purposes the palm has to be grown within 10 degrees of the equator and the area must have a minimum annual rainfall of 2000 mm. The oil palm produces 10 times more oil per hectare than soybeans. I have been doing a lot of research on the palm oil subject lately.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Keith,

I hope to get over to my lot next week end or the following one and will take a picture to show you how they have done. They looked fine last time I saw them. By the way the pictures of Jeffs are the ASD palm plantation. It is a division of United Fruit of Chiquita Banana fame. They specialize in producing germinated palm seeds from genetically improved varieties. They have developed a few varieties that are more cold hardy from strains that come from upland areas in Africa. As Jeff mentioned the trees are replaced in 25 years. At this time you can acutally use their wood for lumber as well. For commercial purposes the palm has to be grown within 10 degrees of the equator and the area must have a minimum annual rainfall of 2000 mm. The oil palm produces 10 times more oil per hectare than soybeans. I have been doing a lot of research on the palm oil subject lately.

dk

Well, if anyone wants to test some in a northern climate I am all in, haha.

But seriously, I will, under very controlled circumstances.

Keith

Well, if anyone wants to test some in a northern climate I am all in, haha.

But seriously, I will, under very controlled circumstances.

Keith

So do I :lol:

Thanks for all information & great pics!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Elaeis are bud hardy down to about 20f. The foliage burns at slightest frost exposure or freezing temps (in open). They make a lot of leaves in full summer sun & heat, this gives the chance to regroup fr next winter's blast; similar to what P.roebelenii does. Also they're practically aquatic. The pic of Eric's at FIT - there are sdlgs from those palms that sit almost completely submerged in water for wks at a time during summer.

- dave

Keith,

Here is the linke for ASD Costa Rica there is some good information there. ASD Costa Rica Oil Palms

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The trunk is a zone 9A palm but the foliage is zone 10. Dent Smith's Dayona beach specimens survived all of the 1950's and 1960's mega-hard freezes (low 20's) and grew new foliage every spring. He finally took them out as he tired of seeing them defoliate yearly.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

My father has a pair of these palms in Palm Harbor and the past three winters have damaged the foliage each time. As discussed above, the foliage is wimpy wimpy wimpy and will damage within a few degrees of freezing. There are also two pretty large ones down the street from my fathers house and these seem to be a bit tougher as thety were damaged only one of the past three winters (Jan 2008) that Ive been watching them.

But, the good thing about this palm is that it pumps out foliage at a very quick rate. It can easily regenerate a 10-12 leaves a year.

Larry