IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What a strange year this is turning out to be...

Jeff in St Pete

It started raining around 4 pm today and we are having some very hard rains right now.  Any other time of the year, I would expect this, but not February.  February is usually sunny, hot and dry.  We have had thunderstorms or just plain rain every afternoon for the last 4 days.  It's been great not watering my plants in the shadehouse, but this is very strange for this time of year.  In fact some friends of mine were just here and they chartered a small plane to fly back to San Jose.  The flight was cancelled because of bad weather and they had to spend another night here.  That is almost unheard of this time of year.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I can probably be blamed on La Niña.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

It must be Don, although there have been other La Niña's other years and yet locals are saying they have never seen a weather pattern like this in February.  Of course I am loving it because the cloud cover keeps the heat down and the rains really cool eveything off.  Plus I have not had to water the palms in my shadehouse since last weekend!  I'm tempted to start planting some palms but I'm afraid we will go back to a dry pattern soon.  May (the beginning of the rainy season) is traditionally the month to start planting here.

we are getting tons of rain here in north florida.

it started raining today at 11 am on my way to class, It has been raining non stop since then and its 10:37 pm and it continues to rain.  we have been in drought and the lakes have been low so its all needed, but when it rains it pours!

ofiicial report is 4.5" as an hour ago. rain forcasted all night and tommorow and even saturday. :o

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

(FRITO @ Feb. 21 2008,21:39)

we are getting tons of rain here in north florida.

started raingin today at 11 am on my way to class, It has been raingin non stop since then and its 10:37 pm and it continues to rain.  we have been in drought and the lakes have been low so its all needed, but when it rains it pours!

ofiicial report is 4.5" as an hours ago.

Not much better in So. Louisiana.  Can't wait to see the sunshine again.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(amazondk @ Feb. 20 2008,20:37)

I can probably be blamed on La Niña.

dk

Eek let's hope not - La Nina may mean an overly active Season, which we could do without.

And it's strange - there's talk of La Nina, but it looks almost more like an EN, with the record-breaking # of tornados that keep striking the gulf areas.  I think Lousiana got one tonight.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Why not? La nina is good... nothing is more depressing than not getting any rain, like last year, during El Nino. Everything is green and lovely... and growing, including tall grass and weeds. Can't complain!! I love La nina so far.

Regards, ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Feb. 21 2008,23:42)

Why not? La nina is good... nothing is more depressing than not getting any rain, like last year, during El Nino. Everything is green and lovely... and growing, including tall grass and weeds. Can't complain!! I love La nina so far.

Regards, ari :)

La Nina is good then, where you are and I hope you get some good rain from it.  But for us - I believe the last one brought us drought followed by hurricanes.  I do love rain, but no fan of a 'cane.

OTOH, El Ninos - the strong ones - usually bring us better chances for serious rainfall (and severe wx sometimes).  I guess we just get opposite effects from them?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Cyclone here too... we got cyclone Helen a few months ago. Luckily it was only cat 2 and only my erythrina got pruned, but the rest was fine. When there is no cyclone, there is plenty of rain!! But then, I love rain!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No rain today (Thursday) although it clouded up this afternoon and looked like it was going to.  I'm sure it rained somewhere around here.  Not sure what happened, we were in our usual "Summer" pattern of sunny, clear blue skies with no rain and then all of a sudden it switched back to a rainy season pattern of clouds and or rain.  I'm enjoying the break from the heat!

But is it La nina? Sometimes i'm thinking that the weather and climates are just moving slowly too other places.... Climate changing... Since a couple years we are breaking record after record, and the most of that records are heat records! We have seen very strange weather types in strange months, tempeture's are the most of the time above normal,so it's not strange nature here is almost 2 month's too early again, just like last year...

It's not that we don't get cold weather anymore, but the cold what we get is nothing anymore if you see winter from 10 years ago... I think since the very long dry, sunny, summer of 2003 the weather is confused over here...

So for here if we have La nina or El nino weather is most of the time milder then normal over here... and parts of europe just like Greece where it's must be the weather like we now have got snow??? Where do we go?

Robbin

Southwest