IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone Changes

BobbyinNY

I usually like to see a pattern before I say that I really think zones are changing, but for the past 3 years in a row, we've had some of the warmest winters on record.. Last year the temps didn't get below 8f (and only 2x) and this year so far they haven't gotten below 11f - and most of the nighttime lows have been in the high 20's - low 30's - which would technically put us in a zone 8.  Today it's a balmy 59f, and all the flowers are poking out of the ground.  I'm just wondering if other people across the country are noticing the same thing.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby I have definately noticed a warm winter down here....  Only a couple spotty nights of cold weather here...  Usually we have at least a week or two of what we consider cold....  I can judge the heat by my FPL bills cause my a/c has stayed on all but a few nights this year.  :*(

Been warm most of the winter here.  No lows below 26F and just a small handful of frosts/freezes.

Avg high in Feb has been 75F so far, things are blooming and budding out.  My Washingtonias are on their 2nd or 3rd fronds this month after being mostly dormant in Jan.

for people on pacific coast from california usa south to jalisco méxico (puerto vallarta) this is the most cold winter in 30 years. when theres strong la niña or el niño en the pacific ocean we have big affects.  

but weathers one thing and climates other thing. i say look at 50 years of records of the weather to see whats the zone. few years of warm/cold winters wont change the zone only some changes for many years can do this.

we all wish to have a better zone !  :P

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

This past winter has definitely been on the cool side over here.  In addition to a night below freezing, there have been alot of cooler than normal days and far more nights into the 30's than I recall happening since Ive been paying attention.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

That's interesting, we have been having colder than normal temps the last two years in CA. Hope for your sake it is a trend for you all in the North East but not for us. We just want it to go away over here.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

We have been much warmer than average, especially in February.  It was slightly warmer than average in January, despite one day with a high below 50 and one night below freezing (31F).  Late January had several days in a row below average, but only slightly.  February has felt more like March.  But don't take my word for it...

Click here for Central Florida climatology

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 18 2008,12:41)

Bobby I have definately noticed a warm winter down here....  Only a couple spotty nights of cold weather here...  Usually we have at least a week or two of what we consider cold....  I can judge the heat by my FPL bills cause my a/c has stayed on all but a few nights this year.  :*(

Maybe it's just me, but gosh, it's been so warm!  Spent part of the weekend in Naples, thinking it was awfully hot there.... and when we got home it was just as hot here.   :D

I have the A/C running right now, as I have most of the so-called "winter," and really haven't noticed much cold.  I even planted a bottle - in January! - and it seems happy enough.

Allamanda bloomed right through January into February till I dug it up, and one Calypso Adenium is still flowering.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

If one looks at the monthly averages, things are close to normal.

January 2008 - Tampa Avg High - 72F, Average low 53F.

Long Term January Averages - 70/52.

January 2008 - St. Petersburg Avg High - 69F, Average low 55F

Long Term January Averages - 69/54.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Well, we finally got our first snowstorm - but it was a wintry mix with alot of rain/sleet mixed in - the temps were hovering around 34, so it's definitely a mess, but with the forecast into the mid-high 40's by tomorrow, it should melt pretty quickly.. Still no real arctic cold on the horizon... C'mon spring..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

It's definitely been a cooler winter here but at the same time not colder than normal. My lowest night time temperature this year was 34F. We almost always have a couple of nights when it goes down to freezing, which knocks down my bananas, cannas, etc. This year the bananas are nice and green and the rest of the garden looks as it did before winter set in.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I think that, except for a few cold snaps in between nice weather, this winter has been fairly mild. Feb has been up and down. Days in a row near 80F or above, even humid, followed by a quick cold snap in the 30's/low 40's quickly recovering to near 80F. I am worried more about Fri morning with clear skies, low humidity and a mopist ground from todays' rains. The moisture can form frost with mid 30's (my back yard is still quite open). My front will be fine no matter what. If only for that one freeze in January we would have been scot-free.....oh well, that is central florida in winter, I guess. Now pray for anything over 35F and I am fine. After waking up to 70F this morning, low to middle 30's will be a shock to everything! Greg in wet NPR (nearly 2" of rain since the weeeknd)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast