Sign in to follow this  
southlatropical

??Beccariophoenix sp. no windows in S. Louisiana??

southlatropical

I have a protected spot next to my house that was a consistant 5 degrees warmer than the temps recorded at a weather station about 1/4mi from my house. This spot only saw 3 instances of light frost this past winter. Do I have a chance of growing this palm here? This winters lows recorded at the weather station near my house are listed below. Thanks in advance for any advice.

JD in the OC

I have some out in California that saw 28 F and had no burn whatsoever.  IMO  they're good to 22-25 before the leaves burn.

We have them in 7 and 15 gallon at our nursery here in SW Florida (the no windows variety) and also have B. alfredii in 3 gallons.

Jd

DoomsDave

I have a specimen in the middle of my front yard that suffered about 50% leaf burn in the freeze last year, but it appears to have recovered nicely.

I'm sure it will gain hardiness with size, though the jury's out as to how much.

dave

southlatropical

Is B. alfredii of the same hardiness as the B. sp. no windows? I read through some threads on the different varieties and I'm still a little confused on the names.

Kathryn

I have had one in a pot for several years with no problem, but it hasn’t seen temperatures below 27°F (-3°C). I hasn’t grown much, so I think I might try it in the ground if I can find a good spot and see how it does – probably won’t make it long term, but might last 5 years or so depending on mother nature.

southlatropical

The spot where I would try it is between an inside corner of the house and my carport. So it is sort of boxed in on three sides. I am going to install some hooks on the eaves of the house and carport so I can stretch a frost cloth over the area. I could even enclose the space with plastic sheeting if it were to get really cold. Incidently, the dryer vent blows into this area also.