Palm Guy

Tahina spectabilis seeds available!!!!

Kris

(Big50 @ Mar. 24 2008,09:05)

Hi Kris, these pipes the raid Here underground for water,fit neatly inside the pots that I have at home and cut the pipe and put inside the pots,in this way is closed the Fund.

Regards. :;):

Thanks for that information,Big. :)

love,

Kris  :)

mike453

Hello,

I thought I would post a couple germination pictures. It looks like 9 out of 10 germinations is what I am going to end up with. I soaked the seeds in warm water for 2 days and planted them in Canadian sphagnum peat. They were planted in 5" deep peat, so a super deep pot, at least for germination is not needed. I planted them 5 per 2 liter container. Below are the results:

post-223-1206391420_thumb.jpg

mike453

The roots on the bottom of the container:

post-223-1206391463_thumb.jpg

mike453

And also on the sides

post-223-1206391499_thumb.jpg

mike453

These pics are taken today, 33 days after receiving the seeds.

Regards, Mike

rozpalm

Mike, I think that answers my question and certainly makes my life a little easier not having to deal with so many deep pots.  I have not been growing palms that long from seed, but this palm appears to be growing at an almost weed like rate compared to anything I have grown so far. Is this palm unusual with its rapid germination rate?  Its pretty amazing that one of the rarest palms in the world, seems to be so easy to germinate that almost anyone can do it using just about any method and ending up with a high germination rate.   I almost have to expect that there is some critical juncture that this palm runs the risk of decline, otherwise you would think these things would be more popular then a queen palm. In fact the germination rate appears to be greater then even a queen, which to me is the easiest Palm to germinate.

gsn

(rozpalm @ Mar. 24 2008,17:06)

Mike, I think that answers my question and certainly makes my life a little easier not having to deal with so many deep pots.  I have not been growing palms that long from seed, but this palm appears to be growing at an almost weed like rate compared to anything I have grown so far.

Ron,

Not to sound like a broken record,but I wouldn't leave those seedlings in a 4 inch deep pot for very long. Here is a pic of Bruno's from Madagascar,I beleive he said that this was the root size after only a little more than one month after the spike popped the surface. You can germinate them in any depth medium,but once they get going, which seems pretty quick from the looks of that root.  I think they need to be in fairly DEEP pots as soon as possible, in my humble opinion.

Coryphaplantuleentire.jpg

rozpalm

Thanks Scott.   Do you know where I can order the deep pots, or is it just better to make them out of pipe?

PatientPalms

I've got some nice pots for you Roz.  Check your PM's...

Jeff in St Pete

After hearing all the fast germination results, I decided to check my seeds on Easter Sunday.  Here are the results, 9 out of 10 seeds are germinating.  

DSC_0734.jpg

Kris

Dear Mike & Dear Jeff  :)

thanks for the stills and i must say all,that i germinated all the heavy duty root sinkers & remote germinators in 2 liter mineral water bottles..i did not have any trouble with it.the varities are bismarkia,nubiean desert palm,Corypha's_3 types,and Borassus.F in a one & half feet by one & half feet cement pot with washed river sand...after that they are all planted in huge plastic barrels !

thanks & love,

Wai`anae Steve

So far I have 3 sprouts out of 10 ready for soil.  I put them in 5 gallon pots.  Coffee cup for you metric guys to see size.

TS2008-03-28A.jpg

TS2008-03-28B.jpg

TS2008-03-28C.jpg

Kris

Dear Steve  :)

the slide show is fentastic and self explainatory & clear !

thanks & love,

Palm Guy

Excellent results guys. Keep us posted on their progress. I think Mike and Big 50 were the first to show spikes from the RPS lot of seeds. I haven't checked mine recently but first to show an open leaf wins!!! I'm not sure what they win but they win!! How about Tahina King status?

PalmGuyWC

I didn't order any seeds because they wouldn't grow for me anyway, but I'm wondering when Tahina will appear on the front cover of PALMS next to her namesake?

Dick

Gbarce

Updates anyone?

Do we have a new leaf yet?

PatientPalms

I keep looking everyday...  No green yet!

PatientPalms

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 30 2008,08:07)

I'm wondering when Tahina will appear on the front cover of PALMS next to her namesake?

The new issue just arrived.  Great article!

Gtlevine

Finally got one to push a leaf spike.

Gary

DSC_2063.jpg

Jeff in St Pete

Congrats Gary!  What a beautiful sight to see!

Kris

Dear Gary  :)

fentastic still and great job !

love,

PatientPalms

Everyone is getting spikes popping out and I am getting impatient.  I decided to go dig around in the soil and see what was going on (I'll tell myself it's just to make sure there aren't any problems under the soil :laugh: ).  Here's what I saw on my first dig!  

See Tahina grow.  Grow Tahina Grow!

DSC01491.jpg

rozpalm

That looks great Bill. I have all mine in those pots I got from you. Hopefully they are nice and happy with lots of room to grow.  I got 7 out of 10 to sprout.

Gbarce

Bill- that's a very gutsy move and I can understand the feeling.  

Tahina seems to be a very fast sprouter but takes just about as long as any other palm to grow in its roots/spear/leaf.

Its pretty intersting following this thread because this is the very first time growing this genera is being described and nobody knows what to expect.

Palm Guy

Bill,

I'm having the same issues. I still don't see any spears appearing on mine although I haven't checked them in a while. I had moved them from the germination chamber too soon I think. Perhaps the added heat might've helped get the spears up quicker. They are still growing though!

Cheers,

Mike

Kev Spence

Hi guys.

Just snapped these pics at Kew gardens yesterday and thought you would be interested to see how their batch of Tahina spectabilis  are proceeding.

They just look to me like leaves stuck into the pots without the seed leaves you associate with most palm seedlings.

IMGP2958.jpg%20tauhinia.jpg

IMGP2961.jpg%20tauhinia.jpg

Happy growing guys

Kev

PatientPalms

That is ONE COOL LOOKING SEEDLING!

Grow babies grow!

Tyrone

(Kev Spence @ Apr. 14 2008,14:50)

Hi guys.

Just snapped these pics at Kew gardens yesterday and thought you would be interested to see how their batch of Tahina spectabilis  are proceeding.

They just look to me like leaves stuck into the pots without the seed leaves you associate with most palm seedlings.

IMGP2958.jpg%20tauhinia.jpg

IMGP2961.jpg%20tauhinia.jpg

Happy growing guys

Kev

Kev, Are they on open display at Kew? I'm just wondering as I'll be there in two months. If I see them I'll take follow up photos and post them here.

Best regards

Tyrone

Kris

Dear Kev  :)

lovely stills and its encouraging to see that these babies are being propogated in a big way and all those kids seem to be doing just fine under their care...!

i hope those folks also gives out the soil mix ratio to us.and as to what they are feeding these kids with ?

thanks & love,

Kris

(Lavinius @ Apr. 15 2008,12:05)

I called to rps today: Tahina seeds are out!

that's good news,since all the stocks are over.their want be any left overs or old stocks who want to order late...

love,

Kev Spence

Hi Tyrone.

Unfortunately they are not on general display but in a greenhouse away from the public.

We met with some of the Kew guys over the weekend and they kindly took us around their propagating areas to show us what is going on behind the scenes as it were.

Hope you have a good visit to the UK with hopefully some sunshine at that time of year........we are still getting freeze temps at the moment.......this was my garden last week.

IMGP0090.jpg%20snow.jpg

Kev

Tyrone

Wow, I've never seen snow in my life before, except in photos etc. What snow covered palm is that one in the pic? After looking at your profile, I'd say it's seen that sort of snow before. It's a surreal combination.

It won't be snowing in June will it??????

regards

Tyrone

Kev Spence

No snow in June Tyrone and that is my Jubaea lapping up the warm -6 C temps in Feb............sorry slipped off topic now. ???

kev

Alberto

All my ten seeds germinted and 9 srouted .One dried up before showing something above soil level. :mellow:

This is my ´´biggest´´ Tahina and my first post and photo:

No succes with uploading the pic!

Edit:...Or better,I tried upload them twice and it worked i can see now!

post-465-1208569159_thumb.jpg

post-465-1208569244_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alberto

Guest Wai`anae Steve

Ok guys w/green leaf showing. How many days did it take from day one. Mine went in sprouting box on March 10th. I have 4 sprouts out of ten and three in pots waiting to see something green.

bgl

Steve,

These seem to be relatively fast and easy to germinate, but my guess is that it'll probably be another couple of months before we see a leaf like the ones at Kew above. I use these 1G containers. Just cut off the top, and they're nice and deep. Only put 4 seeds in each plastic container, and I can easily see the roots all the way at the bottom. This is the first spike - today 19 April - 50 days after I put the seeds in there (on 01 March).

Bo-Göran

post-22-1208672695_thumb.jpg

post-22-1208672710_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

Bo-

You're not using any extra heat, are you?

bgl

Bill,

No, I never do use extra heat. And even though I've never attempted to keep track of this, my guess would be that germination during the winter months, when we have cooler nights and less heat overall, probably takes longer than during the summer. The ones in the photos above were germinated indoors, but I'm also germinating some out in the shadehouse (in open 5G pots), so they're even cooler.

Bo-Göran