IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina spectabilis seeds available!!!!

Palm Guy

Hi all, as promised, here are some of my seeds growing. To this day, 7 out of 10 have germinated in 6 days since sowing.

IMG_1249-1.jpg

cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Hello Mike,

I've get one little root this morning !

Only 7 days to get this wonderful thing! Speedy this Tahina!!

3 cm long!

2955766520073534487S500x500Q85.jpg

\/______

/\ Ruddy

Beauvoisin , Gard, France

Zone 8b/9a

South of France

Languedoc,South of Nîmes

43°43'03"N / 04°19'03"E

I ordered my 10 on Feb 21st.  That's 2 weeks.  Hope to see them soon.   :D

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

(WaianaeSteve @ Mar. 07 2008,02:12)

I ordered my 10 on Feb 21st.  That's 2 weeks.  Hope to see them soon.   :D

"Well shut my mouth".  They arrived today.  Soaking in water right now.

Been thinking of planting them in sealed containers with cinder on the bottom as I described w/other seeds.  That way no chance of breaking anything when taking out of the baggies.

What do you think?  Do they need a deep container?

I was thinking about using these:

Tall containers.

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

OK they arrived on March 8th.  I began soaking in water and changed it about twice a day.  Today I began the sprouting process

First clean container.

IMGP2652.jpg

Then boil the Spag Moss that my Floribunda palms were packed in.

IMGP2654.jpg

Placed 10 seeds upon the moss which I let cool and then squeezed out most of the moisture.

IMGP2655.jpg

Then sealed it

IMGP2658.jpg

and placed it on a shelf in the green house.  Now I wait with heart in hand for nature to get to work.   :D

Dear Steve  :)

thanks for the step by step illustrations of your seeds germination process !

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I got 20 of them and checked and there are several here that are starting to germinate.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I'm Thainaed out!  They seem to be spread around the Earth now, so there is a great chance of survival.  Show me your Thaina in 3 to 5 years. ===> Sour grapes because I couldn't grow one in the first place.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Tahinas for Orlando!  Cool.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I received my 10 seeds today, 3 weeks from the time I ordered them, not bad!  

Steve, I really like your set-up and I am going to try something similar here.  I'm going to San Jose this weekend and I hope to find some sphagnum moss or coco fiber while I am there.  I can't find any seed germinating medium in Quepos.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 11 2008,14:09)

I'm Thainaed out!  They seem to be spread around the Earth now, so there is a great chance of survival.  Show me your Thaina in 3 to 5 years. ===> Sour grapes because I couldn't grow one in the first place.

Dick

Dick,

OK, next time your down my way, I should have one or two planted out. All indications say they should do fine for us here. NOW....the question is, I wonder when and where the first one will bloom and set seed in cultivation. If, in 20 years or so, I still have a chance to see this or hear about it. You know, the race has begun.   :D   Just a thought.....

Jeff

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dick,

OK, next time your down my way, I should have one or two planted out. All indications say they should do fine for us here. NOW....the question is, I wonder when and where the first one will bloom and set seed in cultivation. If, in 20 years or so, I still have a chance to see this or hear about it. You know, the race has begun.   :D   Just a thought.....

Jeff

Jeff

As Jeff said, LET THE RACE BEGIN!!! Kinda sad that we're already planning on this palms death...

I got 100% germination on my massive stock of 10 seeds... Thats under two weeks!!  Jeff and others...how are you making out?

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

I have all bets on myself for being the first to have a Tahina die...Although, I doubt it would be due to flowering if you know what I mean...;)

Michael Ferreira

Dammit!!! you beat me to it! lol

Oh well, its not a race that I'd want to win anyways. Wil, I'm hoping that you have lots left. If my memory serves me you had 100 seeds.

Cheers

Michael Ferreira

Sorry Gene, No pictures...  

I said a few unrepeatable words at the green fuzzies that had eaten their way down thru the emerging radicle that were continuing to dine on the seeds guts...  Than I threw it in the bushes....

I think just a bit too much moisture...  We have had an unusual amount of daily rain for the season over the past couple weeks.

(Big50 @ Mar. 15 2008,10:35)

Here are the mine germinated 4 of 5,in a few days the way to its container.

12032008oa2.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.

Regards.

That's a classic photo.

Germination of a newly discovered palm, fantastic, don't worry about your words, the pic speaks for itself.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Go Big50!!!!

Tahina King.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(PiousPalms @ Mar. 14 2008,07:59)

Too late Mike!  I have already had some seed turn to mush as they emerged...  :angry:

What temp are you running? Sounds like too hot or too wet, or maybe a dud seed. Off of one infructense you may get a lot of good seed and a few duds. In nature most wouldn't germinate anyway. Maybe you lucked out a bit.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi all,

Here is my two-week update. Looks Like Big 50 might be one of the first of us to get a leaf. Well done, how did you get them to grow so straight? My ones look like they had a few too many drinks. :0

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

Michael Ferreira

(Palm Guy @ Mar. 15 2008,08:40)

IMG_1262.jpg

Can't do better than that, 100% germination.

These seem to germinate pretty fast and fairly evenly. Hopefully they will continue to grow,and no one will have a major damping off problem. Best of luck to everyone who purchased these once in a lifetime (probably) seeds.

One thing to keep in mind is Bruno's pic of the root/radical at a very early stage in development. These need to be planted in  DEEP pots.

Coryphaplantuleentire.jpg

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Dear Michael Ferreira  :)

that fentastic & delightful visual.and i have a request to our memebers can you kindly point out what methos you have used,since if its baggie(ZipLoc Bags)i would love to quote your

narration with those stills in one of our seeds germination threads...

can you all be a bit more specific as to how you did it ?

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Tyrone @ Mar. 15 2008,07:11)

(PiousPalms @ Mar. 14 2008,07:59)

Too late Mike!  I have already had some seed turn to mush as they emerged...  :angry:

What temp are you running? Sounds like too hot or too wet, or maybe a dud seed. Off of one infructense you may get a lot of good seed and a few duds. In nature most wouldn't germinate anyway. Maybe you lucked out a bit.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, keeping these at anywhere from 75F to 90F...  I think you are correct, maybe the one that got mushy was just a dud... :cool:  I'm definately feeling blessed at the germ ratios I believe I am getting...  I'm guessing in a few months I will have a plant count...  I am doing my best not to disturb the seeds.  I really want to leave them alone and not check them, giving them time to grow undisturbed...  Patience is not my virtue.  Judging by everyones experinces, I am expecting real goood germ rates!  :D

Hi Kris,

Unfortunately, I did not take many photos of the germination process from start to finish. It would've been nice to have some more pictures for your educational posts on germination from which I myself have picked up a few tips(I still haven't been very successful with the Psuedophoenix species). However, I'll try my best to share my experiences with growing this new species.

1. Received 10 fresh Tahina spectabilis seeds in the mail on Thursday Feb. 28, 2008. The seeds had become available on RPS' website: www.rarepalmseeds.com on Feb 16,2008.

2. Soaked 5 seeds for 1 day and left 5 seeds unsoaked in the packet. No scarification was done as most of them arrived with a broken seed coat that was very thin, flaky and removable to begin with.

3. On Saturday Mar 1. I sowed the seeds using the following two methods.

Method 1:

a. Placed 5 (2 soaked) seeds in a plastic bag containing the mix below:

IMG_1266.jpg

NOTE: It's IMPORTANT to pre-soak the mix in another container and squeeze any excessive water out. You should be able to squeeze 1 or two drops of water out of a fistful of soil, any more than that and you will have rot/fungal issues. Its also important not to keep the baggie in stong daylight doing so may lead to aglal problems.

b. Placed the 'baggie' seeds in an oven with the pilot on. Temperatures in the oven ranged from 77F/25C to 95F/35C.

Method 2:

a. Placed 5 (3 soaked) seeds in plastic cups containing the same mix mentioned above at a depth of about half the seed's diameter.

IMG_1270.jpg

b. The cups were then placed in a makeshift germination plastic container with the lid closed as viewed in the below picture. I used heat mats to raise the temperatures. Temperatures ranged from 70F/21C from 12am to 6pm (when I was at work or sleeping) and 80F/26C to 85F/29C from 6-12pm. PLEASE NOTE: the below picture does not contain Tahina spectabilis seedlings. This picture was solely taken for reference purposes.

IMG_1271.jpg

NOTE: It is important to watch water levels when using this method as the seeds can dry out much quicker than using the Baggie method.

Results. Both Methods turned out to be equally successful. I did notice that the baggie method in the higher heat led to more rapid germination and root growth. Soaking the seeds seems to be irrelevant in the case of this species. I think heat and humidity are the two important factors and not to mention FRESH seed. I don't think anyone wanted to test seed viability duration with such a rare species (especially at 70EUR for 10, although I do understand the laws of supply and demand) but if someone has tests seed viability please post.  

All 10 seeds germinated in less than two weeks time. The first germination occurred in 2-3 days and the last to germinate happened after about a week and a half.

I hope this is comprehensive enough. My hands hurt from typing. I will talk to you guys soon!

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

What is the ideal soil pH for Tahina. Have I to mix some dolomite to the soil?

Thanks!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hi Alberto,

The mix I used has a PH of 6.5 which is usually good enough for most palms. Most of the seed starter mixes have a lower PH/acidity due to the higher peat content. I used a rather unconventional mix for starting seeds because it's airy and allows the roots to grow with less restriction.

I remember reading somewhere Tahina grows near limestone cliffs, so  I would assume a mid-range to slighter higher PH7.5 to be ideal. But thats just a guess. I'm definitely not the Tahina expert. Perhaps either Dr. Dransfield or Bruno would be kind enough to fill us in on that one!

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Dear Mike  :)

thanks a lot for your time..if every one shares their experience likewise on any of the palm seeds varities they try.and if this narration is well documented by IPS through journals & in their web pages it will be very useful for the future memebers to start walking right way with seeds germination..unlike me who had a real tough time knowing the right procedures...

lots of love to you_my friend  :)

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Mike!

I have 6 germinations out of 10 seeds,after 11 days at 30`C in cocos fiber.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Here's mine seed

After 9 days

16032008.jpg

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Ordering late my seeds are not as fresh as those early guys.

Day time temps in the green house are around 90 and nights down to low 70s.

10 days after placing in the closed container I have 3 sprouts.

IMGP2669.jpg

Most of my seeds have germinated as well after 10 days.  Right now they are in pots with about 4" below them of soil. Should I move them to a deeper pot given the size of the radical?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Dear Big  :)

lovely informative visuals and they are all growing fine under your care.and those huge black plastic pipes,what are those or from where it is derived ? is it the drainwater pipes that carry sweage to the main connection,meaning is the underground laying sweage connection cut-away ?

if so,how have you closed its other end..is their perforation..if you have visuals of that it will be very useful to us... :)

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Mar. 24 2008,01:15)

Dear Big  :)

lovely informative visuals and they are all growing fine under your care.and those huge black plastic pipes,what are those or from where it is derived ? is it the drainwater pipes that carry sweage to the main connection,meaning is the underground laying sweage connection cut-away ?

if so,how have you closed its other end..is their perforation..if you have visuals of that it will be very useful to us... :)

thanks & love,

Hi Kris, these pipes the raid Here underground for water,fit neatly inside the pots that I have at home and cut the pipe and put inside the pots,in this way is closed the Fund.

Sorry for my bad english,it is very difficult to my explain well.

Regards. :;):

I wonder who will be the first to produce a leaf -- the race is on!!

Did I read it correctly that this palm skips the "strap leaf stage"  and produces a fan leaf immediately??

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/