IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina spectabilis seeds available!!!!

Palm Guy

I'm not certain but I believe Matt in SD and Bruno from Madagascar were able to germinate these. Perhaps they would be so kind to share their germination experience.

Toby, just a suggestion and I do not claim to be an expert seed salesman, but I would think sales would increase if you included another photo of Tahina on the RPS website, preferrably one that shows what it looks like before it flowers but not with so many dead leaves. It looks like it could be a really beautiful palm when tidied up a bit. Here is my favorite Tahina pic I took from another thread on Palmtalk. Hopefully, the author doesn't mind (I think it was Bruno).

Tahinaspectabilils7.jpg

I think this photo is a Tahina seedling showing how deep of a pot one would need. I believe I took this from Bruno as well and again, I hope he doesn't mind.

Tahinaspectabilils202months.jpg

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

OK, I admitted on another thread that I was addicted and I just broke down and ordered my 10 seeds.   :D

I hope no one in the US  or Hawaiian Depts of Agriculture try to keep my seeds for some stupid reason. :angry:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

It's been very interesting to read all the comments in this thread and I was a little surprised to read of reluctance to try growing them, mostly because of the question of size.

However, this palm as a seedling is an absolute beauty. I think you could have a magnificant pot palm for several years that will give you enormous pleasure. When it gets to big, give it to a park or botanic garden (Though I bet you'll want to keep it). When I lectured last month in Florida, one person brought in a seedling in a pot and there was immense interest, just because it is so pretty. This is not one of those boring seedlings that stay with straplike leaves for several years - the first leaf is palmate and already at the 3 or 4 leaf stage it looks stunning.

Finally, don't forget that the profits of the sale go to support conservation and rural development in the area where Tahina grows.

How about that for my PR for Tahina!

John

John Dransfield

This palm is growing on me (not literally).

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Mike don't worry about the pictures, they're xavier's and I posted them, my camera was stolen at the time...

I am not an expert with seeds but I put them in a plastic box in which I had spread moss. The moss had been boiled for half an hour to kill any bugs or anything. Moss is still wet but too much. I kept the temperature at 28°C with a house heater, and they sprouted. With the new batch ( I have 100? sorry!) 15 have sprouted.

I think they like it when it is above 30°C. At this time of year it is 35/39°C during daytime in tahina country, and very humid. Remember they have their feet very close to the water. good luck to you all. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno, Do you think more from your last 100 batch will come up? Have you only just started them going? Just wondering.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyronne, I hope most, or all of the seeds will germinate! I think the temperature I started with was too low: 24/25°C... I started them 10 days ago.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

(WaianaeSteve @ Feb. 21 2008,01:50)

I hope no one in the US  or Hawaiian Depts of Agriculture try to keep my seeds for some stupid reason. :angry:

:laugh:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(WaianaeSteve @ Feb. 21 2008,00:50)

OK, I admitted on another thread that I was addicted and I just broke down and ordered my 10 seeds.   :D

I broke down too Steve and ordered 10 seeds today.  Hopefully I will get at least one to germinate.  It would be interesting to see how this palm would grow in Costa Rica.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I'm glad to here that people are just as weak as me! I too thought I would overlook this species, or try to get some seeds later on, but the fact is nobody knows when the next batch will arrive!

In the mean time here is another pic that may change people's view of this palm. Again, I think these came from Bruno/Xavier who I thank for providing them.

Tahinaspectabilils15.jpg

Michael Ferreira

When I lectured last month in Florida, one person brought in a seedling in a pot and there was immense interest, just because it is so pretty. This is not one of those boring seedlings that stay with straplike leaves for several years - the first leaf is palmate and already at the 3 or 4 leaf stage it looks stunning.

Here is a pic (i think its Matt's ) of what Dr. Dransfield is talking about.

Tahinaspectabilils21.jpg

cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

I am not an expert with seeds but I put them in a plastic box in which I had spread moss. The moss had been boiled for half an hour to kill any bugs or anything. Moss is still wet but too much. I kept the temperature at 28°C with a house heater, and they sprouted. With the new batch ( I have 100? sorry!) 15 have sprouted.

I think they like it when it is above 30°C. At this time of year it is 35/39°C during daytime in tahina country, and very humid. Remember they have their feet very close to the water. good luck to you all. bruno

Bruno, thanks for the info. Did you keep these in a dark room or did they receive some light?

Michael Ferreira

(bruno @ Feb. 22 2008,11:31)

I have 35 germinated today... bruno

i love to hear that..thanks for the info ! :)

And friends kindly refrain from posting stills of that grown-up sapling of yeasteryears_please ! since seeing those stills..i was stunned that in just few days or months that palm had grown so big..here iam refering to this photo " Here is a pic (i think its Matt's ) of what Dr. Dransfield is talking about..

kindly post only your results and no old photos_please !..since its bit difficult to understand what is the actual germination results our memebers are having at the moment.

All to best to you all,

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Mike, the seeds receive light, no direct sunlight though. Where they originate it is bright and the seeds fall within bushes and lots end up in water and die there. The ones you have received in GB were saved, as I said ealrlier in another post, by nets that Xavier has put around the palm to prevent them from falling to the ground and be eaten by minute bugs. Only the lemurs ate the pulp around the seed then spit it out onto the net, all clean...

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Thanks Bruno and thanks to the worker lemurs who did the prep work for us.

Kris, come on man, let's be real here. You want me to stop posting pictures because you really really really want these seeds and can't bear to see any more pics.  :D  Sorry for the confusion, but those are old photos. I was posting to show the true beauty of the seedling Dr. Dransfield spoke of. If it helps to resolve some of the confusion, that picture with the exposed root shows seedling growth in just 2 months!! Once my seeds arrive I will post my results.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

(Palm Guy @ Feb. 23 2008,10:06)

Kris, come on man, let's be real here. You want me to stop posting pictures because you really really really want these seeds and can't bear to see any more pics.  :D  Sorry for the confusion, but those are old photos. I was posting to show the true beauty of the seedling Dr. Dransfield spoke of. If it helps to resolve some of the confusion, that picture with the exposed root shows seedling growth in just 2 months!! Once my seeds arrive I will post my results.

Cheers,

Mike

Dear Mike  :)

what you have pointed out is true no doubt but i was stunned seeing those saplings,as though its just few months old and if that is the grouth rate for that palm in real time sense..Good god ,blessed are those who posses it ! no doubt this fan palm was visible in google earth..

and if planted in our garden with that astonishing grouth rate what will happen to my small house garden ?  :P

Really believe me at first instance i was bit scared as seeing an anaconda on the amazon forest ! but going through the literature quickly solved my confusion...! :D

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Good luck to everyone getting the chance to grow this once in a lifetime palm!

A little off topic-

Bruno do you know the status of Ile Saint Marie after the recent cyclone? I am worried for a couple of friends who live on the island; I have not been able to get in contact with them. The BBC is reporting 75% of all structures on the island have been destoyed. I am sure you know more details about Saint Marie and the parts that were hit on the main island. Please let me know.

Mod Edit: Yes Bruno, Please let us all know.

I am going to Sainte Marie at ten this sunday morning, . I have a house there, I have to go and check. I know the 200 coconut trees I had are all upside down, the large trees also. Some damage to the buildings but not as much as the rest of the island.  Most of the hotels are destroyed, so that means no tourists for 6 months or more, no money from the people who were happy with this influx of foreigners. It is a real disaster.  roads are cut, electricity will take several months to be normal again. I know some relief is coming from Reunion island but nothing much will be done I think. No organisation for that kind of situation here... It took three days after the cyclone for a helicopter to reach Sainte Marie, in order to take photos and evaluate.

On the main island the cyclone was ove Fenerive, Soanieranivongo, lake alaotra, the rice area. A lot of people have lost homes. I really don't know how they are because the difference between what one reads in the newspapers and reality is  a long distance. I think nearly nothing is being done. The reality being that the price of food goes up immediately.

I will tell you when I come back on thursday and post some pics. Thanks for asking jason.

bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno, that's sad to hear of the devastation. I hope the people there can get back on top of things soon.

On another note, what external heat source are you using, and what temp have you heated your seeds up too now? I'd imagine 32C would be ideal.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I sent an E-mail to a palm friend in Argentina that do not read English and also to the brazilian yahoo group``Admiradores de Palmeiras´´ telling about the seeds. I hope this species will be well represented in Brazil!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Out of how many Bill?  Good start! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's a boy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bill, I split a 100 with another member of this board.  These 2 are the first to germ out of my 50.  I'm hoping for anywhere from 60-90% germ rates...  We will see how many I can keep alive after that happens!  Getting palms from seed to about 3G seems to be the most difficult part of a palms life.  I just finished planting another 97 (I cut 3 open to have a look) that have been soaking in a bucket of RO water (totally unnessecary, I was just too lazy to plant them earlier this week).  I thought I might toy with Florida ecology and plant some seedlings near the everglades and see if they will naturalize.  Everything I have read about the habitat Tahina comes from sounds like our climate here.

Anyone else have germinations from RPS's seeds?

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 29 2008,12:28)

Anyone else have germinations from RPS's seeds?

Two days in warm water and this is the result:

tahima021bd7.jpg

tahima023rg3.jpg

Regards.

Back from Sainte marie. I do not have much to add to what I have said above. Devastation, yes. I will not put any pics though.

Tyronne, I have kept my seeds at 28/32°C in a very primitive manner. For the moment I've had 80 seeds germinate out of 100. And planted 30 tahinas around my own little swamp in sainte marie, and hope the chicken will not destroy the seedlings.

Madagascar scoop:

Xavier told me he had planted 1000 seedlings around the lakes in his area. From the original 30, it is a big success.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

(bruno @ Feb. 29 2008,13:45)

And planted 30 tahinas around my own little swamp in sainte marie, and hope the chicken will not destroy the seedlings.

Make some little fences for the first years....

It will be a shame if they will be chicken food! :)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

(bruno @ Feb. 29 2008,13:45)

Back from Sainte marie. I do not have much to add to what I have said above. Devastation, yes. I will not put any pics though.

Tyronne, I have kept my seeds at 28/32°C in a very primitive manner. For the moment I've had 80 seeds germinate out of 100. And planted 30 tahinas around my own little swamp in sainte marie, and hope the chicken will not destroy the seedlings.

Madagascar scoop:

Xavier told me he had planted 1000 seedlings around the lakes in his area. From the original 30, it is a big success.

Bruno, It's great to hear that Xavier has planted 1000 seedlings around the area. I think Tahina is here to stay then.  :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Bill, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but those are just acorns.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Feb. 29 2008,18:55)

Bill, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but those are just acorns.

:laugh:  I wonder if anyone has ever pulled such a sham?  Selling one seed for another?  Meanness I say...  Instant Karmas gonna get them! :laugh:

Dear William & Dear Big50  :)

thanks for such beautiful close-ups of a blessed palm seeds germination..i like it !

keep us all updated on this seeds germination...

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

If anyone has a seed or two to part with id be interested in giving my full attention to one of these. I have trades or can send a payment. I just don't have the cash to break down on 10 of these.

regards

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

These seeds are unbelievable  :D  they sprout within a week.

Two ziploc bags, (each five seeds) one with perlite the other with cocopeat placed on a gas heater with only the pilot flame on.

Photo shows the fastest one from the cocopeat bag, the ones in the perlite are popping just now.

post-37-1204360008_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Fellow Yanks and other non-metric folks:

That's a centimetre scale below the seed.  From the root tip to the right edge of seed would show as about one and a third inches in the pic. (not 3 and a half inches)

Check out PiousPalms #62 post above for a good hand/seed ratio photo

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

These seeds have to be the quickest germinators ever!!! I received my seeds last Thursday Feb 28. and soaked 5 seeds and left 5 seeds unsoaked. On Saturday I sowed the seeds. Four seeds in heat (85-95F) and six in a lil less heat (70F- 82F). So far, in 5 days, 5 out of 10 seeds!!! 3 in the hotter temps and 2 in the milder temps. Amazing!! will post some pics later on.

Michael Ferreira

I just received mine today. I now have a heat mat, so hopefully I'll get better germination results this time than previous seed germination attempts.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador