IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina spectabilis seeds available!!!!

Palm Guy

I posted this on the seeds/plants swap area, but since the majority of us hang out here I'm posting it here too.

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Mike,

I think this was already announced. My 100 seeds should be here anyday now.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mike,

I think this was already announced. My 100 seeds should be here anyday now.

Jeff

Jeff,

You might be right. They only just became available on the RPS website though. Just looking out for you guys. Keep us posted on their progress.

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

I ordered 10 seeds! I have to! :)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

At $7 a seed or $70 for ten, I'll wait a few years.   :D

No need to be the first guy on the block   :P

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I hear ya Steve, I didn't get any myself. Their actually 70 EUR... not dollars!  I'll wait a bit also, no space for them now anyways.

Michael Ferreira

(Palm Guy @ Feb. 16 2008,23:34)

I'll wait a bit also, no space for them now anyways.

Thahinas don´t flower every year...... They found them flowering now but the locals don´t remind them doing this before...  Maybe you have to wait 10...20...or 100 years... Who knows?

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Alberto, you convinced me. I broke down and got them. It hurt my wallet but yea, considering they only flower every 100 years or so, it might be a good investment.

Cheers,

Mike F

• Upvote 1

Michael Ferreira

Not to put down this remarkable new palm discovery as it's probably the most important palm discovery in our life time. It's truely amazing that the largest growing palm in Madagascar was undetected for so many years.

This is not a palm for everyone.  In the first place I couldn't grow one in my harsh climate, and secondly it's a huge palm. This palm will take up lots of room, and who has the space for such a monster? It will probably dwarf everything in it's landscape. I suspect this palm will grace botanical gardens and huge private gardens, and how wonderful the seeds are being spread around the globe where it might grow. I can't wait to see one, and even touch one. If you have a small garden, just be carefull where you plant one.

Dick

Richard Douglas

This is not a palm for everyone.  In the first place I couldn't grow one in my harsh climate, and secondly it's a huge palm. This palm will take up lots of room, and who has the space for such a monster? It will probably dwarf everything in it's landscape. I suspect this palm will grace botanical gardens and huge private gardens, and how wonderful the seeds are being spread around the globe where it might grow. I can't wait to see one, and even touch one. If you have a small garden, just be carefull where you plant one.

Dick,

I agree with you. If I get germinations, I have planned to 'anonymously' donate them to our Botanical Gardens. I don't want money for them. When I buy seeds its usually in the hopes to sell them later at a good profit, but I figure that for once I would do something that others can enjoy. The shear size of these palms make me think that these guys won't be popular in cultivation,  but I thinks its more of a novelty for me to be able to grow this palm.

Cheers,

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

As these seeds  are so new, somebody could say me which is the best form for germinating?

Malaga, South Spain 'Costa del Sol'  Zone 10b

08482.gif

Today i received an E-mail of somebody that was concerned about the fact that a Tahina would not be the best palm for my climate and he´s probably right. But I am planning to plant them at a lower altitude in a frost free region near the sea .......

I´m  also concerned about the fact that this now so famous palm will atract the ´´cultivating instincts´´ of so many enthusiasts around the world and the idea of hundreds or thousands of Tahinas (wich seeds I supose are rare and from a few palms that flowered now) growing in little pots in places like north Europe and USA,Canada etc,scares me!             There they will not have a chance of growing to mature trees and so not contributing  to the population of this so rare plant. What do you think?

I really hope that in a few years there will be lots of them growing (outside) in all the places around the world with an appropriate climate.

Alberto, I too wonder this when humans attempt to "preserve" a species in cultivation...  

I read the description of this palm and it's climate/enviroment as published in the "Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society"  It seems that Florida's climate is extremely simlar to that of the natural habitat of Tahina spectabilis...

My biggest cencern is simply the enormous size of this palm...  As Dick stated earlier, not that many people would ever plant on simply due to it HUGE stature!

Question:  Is it better to buy the seeds (giving some money back to the Malagasy people) and try to hopefully germinate some that one could give to a local botanical garden conservatory (or shopping mall for that matter, for inside) and hope they get a chance to grow large in   possibly a different climate/area that people didn't think was possible,

OR,

Not buy any seeds unless you live in the "right" place and hope they all get purchased and go on growing, NOT sit in storage where the seeds could go bad just sitting.  ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Okay even i received mail that seeds are avaliable at RPS..but i will wait for the pro's to grow them and give their feed back before i venture into this...

when the germination teqnicks are properly explained only them i intend to move..

here is a link for those who want to see the movie_premier show !

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/TahSpe.shtml

And it states as " Blessed Palm " !

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I will grow them if I could... I got plenty of room. But, I would rather if any of the botanical garden in Australia can get hold of them. At least then, everyone can enjoy it.

Regards, Ari :)

p.s. my property goes as far as the shed in the background.

post-512-1203313881_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I too would like to order some, my climate, lot size, $, and my rather ameatur experience at germinating palm seed keep me from "preserving" the palm.

I am not making a rush to order in hopes the seeds go to experienced growers who can germinate the seed and then distribute the seeds into secure locations so it can sucessfully be replenished.

feedback on the culture requirements also will help once these get into circulation.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

(krisachar @ Feb. 18 2008,00:39)

Okay even i received mail that seeds are avaliable at RPS..but i will wait for the pro's to grow them and give their feed back before i venture into this...

when the germination teqnicks are properly explained only them i intend to move..

here is a link for those who want to see the movie_premier show !

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/TahSpe.shtml

And it states as " Blessed Palm " !

love,

Kris, Your climate is perfect. It would be a SIN if you didn't get any. So, go get some man.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dear Tyrone  :)

iam growing at present talipot palms,c.locmoteii,c.utan & one carypha who's identity is not clear.these guys if grounded i do not see any space for any new varities..and by the way the CIDP's red & yellow fruticas are are also waiting to be grounded from roof top terrace garden.so you can imagine their is no space for any more palms...and by the way jubea's are also their in small pots..with a small rea estate space..i donot see any scope for big palms..but human minds are vunerable to changes & new issues..who knows how i feel about this hybrid "blessed palm" next year ?

for the moment its purely wait & watch !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(ariscott @ Feb. 18 2008,00:51)

I will grow them if I could... I got plenty of room. But, I would rather if any of the botanical garden in Australia can get hold of them. At least then, everyone can enjoy it.

Ari, what kind of climate you have there??

(Alberto @ Feb. 18 2008,10:55)

Ari's climate is a perfect one for this species, with a seasonal dry season at a similar lat to the wild habitat of Tahina.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I think everybody who has the space, good climate should by some seeds and try to cultivate them. This species is rare and YOU can help to save it!!!

And...this can be your last chance to buy this seeds....

If I will be able to cultivate some palms , I´ll donate some to a Park in Guaratuba ,where I go to the beach in my vacations.This place is frost free in winter and warm and rainy in summer. I can see them growing there! :)

Maybe will try one in a warm place near here,where also Roystoneas can grow... ?

Now I have received my Tahina spectabilis seeds, I think I am the first  :laugh:

Tahina002.jpg

08482.gif

Dear Jose Carlos  :)

I must tell that you are a serious player in this palm arena... :)

And now kindly start this germination process as soon as possible..so that the germination rate is preety high and lets hear your experiences,if possible kindly post stills in my germination thread if your are going with the Zip lock baggie bag method..

All the best for the germination process... :)

love,

kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks krisachar!

I don`t like zip lock baggie bag method, I prefer to germinate in plastic containers, I have a electric propagator make by me. Here you can see:

Semillero001.jpg

Semillero.jpg

Controller of temperature

Semillero_003.jpg

08482.gif

Nice setup Carlo!

Can't wait to see when those tahina seeds will pop-up

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Now I have received my Tahina spectabilis seeds, I think I am the first  :laugh:

You beat me to it Zé Carlos, I ordered last week but I'm still waiting :angry:

Best of luck with the germination and do keep us informed!

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Guys, this palm is NOT a Corypha! Try to think Kerriodoxa or Chuniophoenix, that really is MUCH closer.

I have sacrificed a few seeds last week and they do look REALLY nice, almost guaranteed germination, fat plump embryos just waiting to sprout. There are still a lot of countries that we have not had ANY orders from: India, Thailand, Indonesia, Arabia, Réunion. What is up with you??? You are missing out on the greatest palm discovery of the century! Give yourself a push. It is for a good cause after all and you can give one to the local park if you think its too big for your garden!

Best, TOBY

(Toby @ Feb. 19 2008,18:24)

Guys, this palm is NOT a Corypha! Try to think Kerriodoxa or Chuniophoenix, that really is MUCH closer.

I have sacrificed a few seeds last week and they do look REALLY nice, almost guaranteed germination, fat plump embryos just waiting to sprout. There are still a lot of countries that we have not had ANY orders from: India, Thailand, Indonesia, Arabia, Réunion. What is up with you??? You are missing out on the greatest palm discovery of the century! Give yourself a push. It is for a good cause after all and you can give one to the local park if you think its too big for your garden!

Best, TOBY

I was also somewhat concerned with many of you thinking the way you have. And I'm also surprise why many more people don't want to try something that is so exciting. This opportunity comes around once in a lifetime and this will certainly become legend for many years to come. These future palms will go down as the first of the first of this specie when we watch them grow in botanical gardens/ private gardens around the world.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have to agree with Jeff and Toby. At first I was a little 'worried' about trying these seeds as I fear not getting any germinations when every seed is critical in this case and not to mention the cost. But then I thought, if I am able to get at least one, I'll be doing my part in helping conserve this species. It can also be personally gratifying if everytime you go to your botanical garden you can look at the Tahina you sowed from seed with pride and say "I planted that.'' If i'm blessed with children they too will be able to enjoy what their father planted, maybe even see it flower, so it would be something to be very proud of.

Come on peoples. Its better than letting the seeds go to waste. I was skeptical at first but even I converted.

Cheers,

Mike F

• Like 1

Michael Ferreira

Dear Jose Carlos  :)

simply stunning set-up ! and i love it..but i will insist you, once you are over with your germination process of those beauties..kindly start a thread and even explain how you did it step by step and post one copy here & another to RPS.and if they like your explaination they will give you gifts too.. :)

since all will be benfited by your work_great work & all the best...pray that you get around 90% or more successes rate !

thanks for the stills,it looks like a serious science fiction movie gadgets..i like it !  :;):

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear TOBY  :)

As for india goes our guys never spend money for exocitic palms or cycas..! they love coconuts,beetle nut,areca palms,cycas revoulta,royals,raphsis,fish tails,travellers palm..

that's it.

all my life i have seen only these...till i joined this forum..and i think from south india iam one of your regular coustomers..recently too a week ago i imported c.hospita & Caryota zebrina from your RPS.

Iam a compulusory buyer of exocitic plants but this time its wrong timming...i have over loaded or burdened my friend with lots of camera accessories etc...so for 6 or 8 months iam dry of funds.since i do not have an international credit of my own to do online purschases..

so i will have to wait for next harvesting season...could also be few years...who knows !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kris,

there are quite a few nurseries in India, especially in Calcutta, that buy all sorts of rare and expensive seeds. I have wondered myself where the market for these palms is, but it must be there.

Best, TOBY

Kris, if money wasn't a problem, would you grow a few and donate them to a botanic garden in India somewhere? Just wondering.

regards

Tyrone

(Tyrone @ Feb. 18 2008,16:19)

(Alberto @ Feb. 18 2008,10:55)

Ari's climate is a perfect one for this species, with a seasonal dry season at a similar lat to the wild habitat of Tahina.

regards

Tyrone

Hi Alberto,

I missed your post... sorry. Yes, I would grow one, if I could - Tyrone... come on, you can bring some in, can't you???  :D  :D . I still have plenty of room and I have perfect spots near my other 2 coryphas.

Anyway, my climate is monsoonal tropics, with very distinct wet and dry period. Apparently very similar to some part of madagascar, that is why some dypsis are doing extremely well here with minimal care.

Toby,

I would buy some if I could... If anyone can bring some into the country - I would gladly germinate them for you... but then, you have to come to Darwin to come and get it!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(Toby @ Feb. 20 2008,02:56)

Dear Kris,

there are quite a few nurseries in India, especially in Calcutta, that buy all sorts of rare and expensive seeds. I have wondered myself where the market for these palms is, but it must be there.

Best, TOBY

Dear Toby  :)

iam very surprised to hear it,since Kolkotha & Kerala are communist party dominated areas and nurseries spending foregin exchange is really news to me ! but anyway iam happy some one of our type exist in those regions too !

thanks for the info !  :)

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Tyrone @ Feb. 20 2008,06:25)

Kris, if money wasn't a problem, would you grow a few and donate them to a botanic garden in India somewhere? Just wondering.

regards

Tyrone

Dear Tyrone  :)

i think you know what my answer will be !  ???

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Toby,

Thanks for the super fast shipping.  6 days from you to me is pretty good! Does anyone know if this palm is a remote germinator? The seeds look like they could be.

Best regards,

Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI