IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A. myolensis

MattyB

Wouldn't you agree?

post-126-1156781315_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sort of limey like a Clinostigma, no?

post-126-1156781363_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I dont have any myolensis, but my alexandraes look about the same.

But, I can never tell the difference between all these Archotophoenix!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I love them all. I have A. maxima,myolensis,tuckeri,and purpurea. All I need now is the other two and that should be easy. But if I could only pic one, here it is.

100_1063.jpg

100_1064.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I would have to agree that the purpurea is the best of them all.  The fronds are much nicer, stiffer, and thicker.  The fronds look very nice in the wind compare the the other archontophoenix (silver underside and are not affected by the wind as the other archontophoenix).  On top of that, the crownshaft is purple.

i was at matts over the weekend & i liked the myolensis

quite a bit! i think i prefer them over a.purpurea.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Yeah, that purpurea is real nice.  I have two seedlings...gotta get more.  Anyone have seed?  I need to start planning my canopy for my next house.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(BigFrond @ Aug. 28 2006,12:46)

I would have to agree that the purpurea is the best of them all.  The fronds are much nicer, stiffer, and thicker.  The fronds look very nice in the wind compare the the other archontophoenix (silver underside and are not affected by the wind as the other archontophoenix).  On top of that, the crownshaft is purple.

But dang is this species slow compared to the others!

Ive got alexandrae, cunninghamiana and pupurea and purpurea is far and away the slowest.  

Thats not always a bad thing though.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

since it is slow you'll be able to appreciate the lovely

crownshaft that much longer.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I actually think tuckerii is best with it's particluar green colours. Sorry no photo this morning because it's..........RAINING..........yahoots!!..skiboots !! and it's coming down big time folks, let me tell ya.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Aug. 28 2006,15:14)

I actually think tuckerii is best with it's particluar green colours. Sorry no photo this morning because it's..........RAINING..........yahoots!!..skiboots !! and it's coming down big time folks, let me tell ya.

Oh come on now Wal.  What kind of excuse is that?  How about some rain gear? :D

Be it Archontophoenix myolensis, purpurea, tuckerii, or alexandrae, seems everyone has their particular preferences, so they all seem to be winners!  I'd like to see a photo of each one to compare and help me see the slight differences of each species.  Is anyone growing all of them and could share a photo or two with us?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Purpurea is the prettiest, but it's also the slowest, by far.

Tuckeri's a real racehorse..

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Al in Kona @ Aug. 29 2006,06:49)

Be it Archontophoenix myolensis, purpurea, tuckerii, or alexandrae, seems everyone has their particular preferences, so they all seem to be winners!  I'd like to see a photo of each one to compare and help me see the slight differences of each species.  Is anyone growing all of them and could share a photo or two with us?

Hi Al,

You would need to have them all at similar stages of life, preferably with a certain amount of trunk. I'd love to see this too. I have all the species growing including the so called alexandrae var beatrice but only some have trunks formed. I may have the alex/bangalow cross I'm not certain.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Apart from the obvious difference in purpurea, the main difference between most of them is the infloresence , isn't it ?

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Tully:

They vary in crownshaft color, silver reverses of leaflets (or not), length of rachii, and "droop" of leaflets.

Tuckeri's got a lime green crownshaft; alexandrae's more brownish; purpurea's (duh!) purple.

All have silver reverses.  The common king palm has green reverses and a brownish crownshaft.

For starters . .. ..

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Aug. 29 2006,10:02)

Tully:

They vary in crownshaft color, silver reverses of leaflets (or not), length of rachii, and "droop" of leaflets.

Tuckeri's got a lime green crownshaft; alexandrae's more brownish; purpurea's (duh!) purple.

All have silver reverses.  The common king palm has green reverses and a brownish crownshaft.

For starters . .. ..

dave

"common king palm" ? no way jose, it's bangalow or picabeen, usually bangalow. (Yes, it's me, Wal, the old common name fighter from freedonia)

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana rolls off the tongue anyway.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Where'd my post disappear to?  ???   Oh well, I'll try again.

It was about the myolensis - this was my favorite archonto.... until I saw a purpurea grown by Jeff in Tampa, in his backyard - mmmmm, verrrry nice!  And with a beautiful lavendar crownshaft.

Pohonkelapa said,

since it is slow you'll be able to appreciate the lovely crownshaft that much longer.
 My thoughts exactly!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Buy does anyone have a pic of a pink emerging leaf on a Maxima?  My larger one did when I bought it, but I didn't take a pic.

Plus its REALLY fast.  My small one I bought as a seedling on ebay a year ago, it really should be in a 15 gal by now....but then again, I know of several Archonto speed stories...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I love the look of all the Archo's. Unfortunately, most landscapers in Socal only seem to be familiar with the cunninghamiana. It looks fabulous in a protected setting, but put one out in the hot sun with the Santa Ana winds and it turns to hell in one summer.  I'm going to try all of the others in front of my home next spring. The ones that look the best after a couple of years get to stay.

Ashton

(Ashton @ Aug. 28 2006,22:52)

I love the look of all the Archo's. Unfortunately, most landscapers in Socal only seem to be familiar with the cunninghamiana. It looks fabulous in a protected setting, but put one out in the hot sun with the Santa Ana winds and it turns to hell in one summer.  I'm going to try all of the others in front of my home next spring. The ones that look the best after a couple of years get to stay.

Ashton

I've got a buddy that's a landscaper and he uses purpurea's like queens on all his jobs!! A much better landscape!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

(deezpalms @ Aug. 29 2006,10:57)

(Ashton @ Aug. 28 2006,22:52)

Ashton

I've got a buddy that's a landscaper and he uses purpurea's like queens on all his jobs!! A much better landscape!!

He is a very good landscaper.  The purpurea is the best and is the hardiest of them all.  The picture posted does not do it justice.  I have all of the archo's except the purpurea. :(   However, I've seen many adult specimens and it is simply the best.

Here in Cali the purps just don't seem to wanna grow in the sun.  Shade, yeah, but sun?  Bon-sai!  

I've tried a lot.  Chicken [poop]. Nope.

Extra water.  Nope.

Singing Sinatra.  Nope.

-- Carpenters.  Nope.

-- Barry Manilow.  Nope.

-- Van Halen.  Egad.

dave

Talking of hardiness, what kind of temps would purpurea take without damage?

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)