IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lanceolata

Walter John

One of the better Dypsis is lanceolata, better because of looks and ease of growth, plus it throws a reddish coppery new leaf.

I have a couple but here's my lancealot of my lanceolatas  ???

post-51-1202847324_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That new leaf

post-51-1202847371_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Beautiful color Wal. Love the glaucous crownshaft. One of my favorite Dypsis also.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

That is a nice looking palm, pretty fast growing? Still looks a bit wet your way.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

(realarch @ Feb. 13 2008,06:23)

That is a nice looking palm, pretty fast growing? Still looks a bit wet your way.

Tim

Decent rain yesterday and a little shower overnight, to tell you the truth, I am looking forward to a bout of sun only days. Notice the cabadae across the path ? very similar but with different leaflets for starters.

They are both medium growers for me, I wouldn't say fast which is fine because most palms look great at the early stages imo, so they can be prolonged as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

For sure Wal, D. lanceolata is one of my favorites in the garden! Always throws a beautiful orange/bronze frond and grows so well!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Nice one Wal. Mine is but a pup in comparison. Mine has'nt thrown a red leaf yet. Hopefully soon.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

They're  a great palm. I want to grow a giant hedge with them. Imagine all the new leaves opening up with that colour.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(madagascarbob @ Feb. 12 2008,12:59)

There about as cold hardy as a dypsis gets also . Mine was covered in ice last winter .

I am not sure I agree with this statement. Don't want to give people the wrong idea. There are many more Dypsis much more cold hardy then Lanceolata. In fact I had a real nice 15 gallon in the ground die from 28 degrees last year (Jan 2007 freeze).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

how long was it in the ground,len?maybe it just hadn't had enough time to establish well...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Here's a couple shots of the last frond that opened on my biggest one

2124082764_54fcfc75fb_b.jpg

100_2207.jpg

2123309939_d578104d07_b.jpg

2124081954_e05108e76d_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

(pohonkelapa @ Feb. 12 2008,13:46)

how long was it in the ground,len?maybe it just hadn't had enough time to establish well...

One season. I think the issue was it being 15 gallon and not liking 28 degrees. 100% defoliation, then it never came back in spring. Also, I am just making a point that I do not beleive it to be all that hardy when compared to some other ones like Dypsis baronii, onilahensis, decipiens or even decaryi for example. Maybe its just me.  :P

Has anyone ever seen a nice sized plant in SoCal 9a? Just curious. I know of some that have tried and given up.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Nice plam Wal, but that's not a D. lanceolata.  You've got yourself a nice D. sp '1487' my friend. ???

HawaiiII-178.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Feb. 13 2008,08:46)

Nice plam Wal, but that's not a D. lanceolata.  You've got yourself a nice D. sp '1487' my friend. ???

HawaiiII-178.jpg

Thanks Matty, I thought it may have been a plam but wasn't sure till now. And that number again, 1487 ? thanks, I appreciate that and let me say this, I never get tyred of your comments.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I thought I was aware of all the inside jokes. I'm feeling left out on that one. I must have missed something.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

There was no inside until Wal and I stepped into it.  You guys left yourselves out.

I bet Wal and I could stroll right into one of those Hollywood red carpet events with just a smile and the palm on our backs.  Slick like teflon we are.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Do all lanceolatas throw reddish new fronds?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

(palmisland @ Feb. 14 2008,13:26)

Do all lanceolatas throw reddish new fronds?

Yes, I believe they do.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

DSC_0057.jpg  I thought this was a lanceolata, but no reddish new fronds? Any clue?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Yes, it is one of the best. I am doing various experiments trying to kill mines and they just survive to anything. :)

I have a question - What is the final size of a clumping specimen?

lanceolata, but no reddish new fronds? Any clue?

Maybe the colouring is in younger plants only. Didn't these ever show colour when younger ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, I've had it 3 years. It's seems to put out fronds fairly quickley, all nice and green.

• 7 years later...

Mine are growing in full sun with no problems

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 years later...
On 2/14/2008 at 7:54 AM, palmislandRandy said:

DSC_0057.jpg  I thought this was a lanceolata, but no reddish new fronds? Any clue?

Mine only had some frond color when young and was shade grown.  Full sun now and seeding.  Only throws me green ones.  Still a pretty palm.

On 2/12/2008 at 2:46 PM, MattyB said:

HawaiiII-178.jpg

26 minutes ago, Cape Garrett said:

Mine only had some frond color when young and was shade grown.  Full sun now and seeding.  Only throws me green ones.  Still a pretty palm.

There is some variation in Dypsis lanceolata with some opening with color and others opening without it.  I can look out my office window and see another colorful leaf on one variant I am growing while on the other side of the garden I have another that has never thrown a single colorful leaf.  I'm wondering if this goes back to Matty's Dypsis species 1487 (I presume the number comes from Floribunda as did the photo).   What I find interesting is that D sp1487 was solitary and I have yet to see a solitary Dypsis lanceolata, not that there might be some out there.  Here is a thread I started when I was puzzled by my two different appearing Dypsis lanceolata with other's responses.  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/50724-dypsis-lanceolata-variation/

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

5 hours ago, Tracy said:

There is some variation in Dypsis lanceolata with some opening with color and others opening without it.  I can look out my office window and see another colorful leaf on one variant I am growing while on the other side of the garden I have another that has never thrown a single colorful leaf.  I'm wondering if this goes back to Matty's Dypsis species 1487 (I presume the number comes from Floribunda as did the photo).   What I find interesting is that D sp1487 was solitary and I have yet to see a solitary Dypsis lanceolata, not that there might be some out there.  Here is a thread I started when I was puzzled by my two different appearing Dypsis lanceolata with other's responses.  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/50724-dypsis-lanceolata-variation/

Good read.  Mine has to be the robust form.  Has 3 trunks so far.  The most mature trunk is seeding.  It does seem to open when not so far out of the leaf shaft too.  Nice looking palm.  I have a Pembana too.  Seems to sucker quicker but slower so far for me.  

8 hours ago, Tracy said:

Interesting. I have a single trunk Lanceolata and it is way less hardy/robust than the multiple trunk version and tends to struggle (I did post it in the earlier thread you started). Here attached is the same picture of both side by side. The single trunk version is on the left and it was purchased in 2002 at Plant Depot, a local nursery in Dana Point. The pot it was in had a JD Anderson label, so it may have come from his Fallbrook nursery at the time. 

248315734_LanceolataDifferences.thumb.jpg.617db118db10de2650dcf39cd32c3d4f.jpg

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Brett,

Could that weaker one be a cabadae?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Could of been mislabeled? That could also explain why it has never looked real good.  Although Cabadae are clumpers and not single trunk. Hmm......

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Characteristics of that palm doesn’t sound/look like lanceolata.

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

13 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I have a single trunk Lanceolata and it is way less hardy/robust than the multiple trunk version and tends to struggle (I did post it in the earlier thread you started). Here attached is the same picture of both side by side. The single trunk version is on the left and it was purchased in 2002 at Plant Depot, a local nursery in Dana Point. The pot it was in had a JD Anderson label, so it may have come from his Fallbrook nursery at the time. 

2 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Could of been mislabeled? That could also explain why it has never looked real good.  Although Cabadae are clumpers and not single trunk. Hmm......

I have individual specimens of "clumping" species which are solitary and others of same species clumping (D onilahensis and D pembana) so I wouldn't use that as an absolute indication, just one fact among others.  What I noticed about yours Brett is that ring spacing seems better when it was younger, but it never really gained the trunk width of your clumping Lanceolata.  My colorful lanceolata also has a narrower diameter trunk than the more vigorous form.  The colorful, narrower gauge and more sensitive variety also has a lighter color on the ringed trunk.  I'm curious if other people's colorful leaf form of lanceolata tend to have narrower trunks than the other form and any white over the deep green of the trunk.  I took a couple photos last night of it.

20200408-104A6206.jpg

20200408-104A6208.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation