IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica (on the Caribbean side)

Jeff in St Pete

Jeff,

Nice photos.

Picture in post #72, looks like a Bursera simaruba, which is locally known as "Indio desnudo".

Their trunks are photosynthetic, which helps them to produce food when they have thrown their leaves.

Luis Diego G.

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

My website: SeresVerdes.com

Plants and seeds I have for trade

Jeff, I would think you'd have to fly into San Jose then arrange transportation to Manuel Antonio. What sort of transport is available and what's the approximate time and cost?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jeff- great tour!!  

I love seeing other parts of the world - be it palms or otherwise.  I can see why you chose to live there.  

I have been daydreaming about living in a place like that a lot lately--while I am stuck in work.

I look forward to your posts-- its like living in another reality--- wait a minute-- it is!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

(Gileno Machado @ Feb. 22 2008,19:49)

Wow...Nice Costa Rica...

Sweet Banana azul, Jeff...The Socrateas and Coccothrinax crinitas are fantastic...

That`s interesting the way the Pigafetta looks, with such long petioles and leaves...maybe in partial shade they tend to look less compact?

Thanks Gileno,  I love when palms are grown in a shady area and the petioles stretch out like that.  I'm sure it would be much more compact in full sun.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

(FossilNypa @ Feb. 22 2008,22:47)

Jeff,

Nice photos.

Picture in post #72, looks like a Bursera simaruba, which is locally known as "Indio desnudo".

Their trunks are photosynthetic, which helps them to produce food when they have thrown their leaves.

Thanks Luis!  Very interesting!

(realarch @ Feb. 23 2008,01:08)

Jeff, I would think you'd have to fly into San Jose then arrange transportation to Manuel Antonio. What sort of transport is available and what's the approximate time and cost?

Tim

Tim, yes most people fly into San Jose (the Liberia airport is in the northern part of the country and is further away).  Once you arrive in San Jose there are a couple options for getting to Manuel Antonio.  First is driving - It's a 3 hour ride over the mountains from San Jose to Quepos/Manuel Antonio.  You can hire a taxicab or van for about $130, or you can share a van and split the cost.  The other option is flying Sansa Airlines from San Jose to Quepos.  The cost to fly is about $55 each way and the flight is only 20 minutes, definitely the better choice!

(Gbarce @ Feb. 23 2008,06:38)

Jeff- great tour!!  

I love seeing other parts of the world - be it palms or otherwise.  I can see why you chose to live there.  

I have been daydreaming about living in a place like that a lot lately--while I am stuck in work.

I look forward to your posts-- its like living in another reality--- wait a minute-- it is!

Thanks Gene!  I know what you mean.  I love seeing pictures of other places and other countries.  I get so wrapped up in some of the posts that I almost feel like I am there.  We get to see so many exotic, far-away places in this Travel Logs section, I feel very fortunate to be a part of it!

Thanks for the great pics and info Jeff.

It looks like a great country and the benefits of having two opposite coastlines and varying climates so close is a plus.

I do believe that that piggy is only a couple of years old as I have one planted here that is only 2-3 years and about 20 feet tall. They rocket.

Keep the great pics coming,

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Thanks Jeff. We'll be talking.

Jim, are you serious, 3 years old and 20' tall? That's amazing.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jeff,

Did you go to the Disco Bar Johnny Place?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jim, that's amazing.  I can't wait to get my piggys in the ground at the beginning of the rainy season.  To have palms grow that much in 2-3 years is incredible and I can't wait to see it for myself!  I do like having two different coasts to visit, but it makes it hard to decide where I want to eventually settle down.  The southern caribbean coast of Costa Rica reminds me so much of my beloved Jamaica.  I have visited Jamaica over a dozen times in the last 20 years and always thought that someday I would end up living there.  But, the central and southern Pacific coasts have such great hills, beaches and jungles that I do like this side too.  Maybe I'll compromise and end up in the mountains in between the coasts!

You're welcome Tim, just let me know.

Don, I didn't go to Johnny's Place, although I have heard a lot about it.  This vacation was more low-key and quiet.

Jeff,

I thought that the place looked interesting.  In my many travels around Latin America I have probably checked out a lot more places like that than was good for me.  But, then again I have lived to tell the stories.  And, there are plenty of them.  I guess that is worth something.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff,

Some people say that I should write a book. Maybe I will some day.  I certainly have enough material.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, don't forget the story about your 'hike' in the Galapagos, that's worthy of a chapter.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii