IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica (on the Caribbean side)

Jeff in St Pete

Last week one of my good friends from Tampa came for a visit.  I picked him up in San Jose and we spent one night there and then got up the next morning and drove 4 hours over to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica to a small town called Puerto Viejo.  This is one of the southernmost towns in Costa Rica and is not far from the Panamanian border.

We arrived at our hotel (Banana Azul) and settled in.  Here is a picture of our deck just outside of our room.

Notice the palm tree cut-outs in the wood trim :)  

P1260012.jpg

The view of the beach from our deck

P1260013.jpg

Flowering tree shading the entranceway to the hotel

P1260022.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Dirt road that runs along the beach, the entrance to the hotel is off this road.

P1260026.jpg

View of Puerto Viejo.  Our hotel was just north of town on Playa Negra.

P1260027.jpg

They had one of the most beautiful Ravenala's

P1260062.jpg

P1260063.jpg

P1260065.jpg

Note people walking by (for scale)

P1260066.jpg

After relaxing on the beach for a day, we got up the next morning and went to Finca La Isla Botanical Garden located nearby.

P1260078.jpg

Me standing next to the stilt roots

P1260077.jpg

looking straight up

P1260080.jpg

This tree had these funny looking "strings" hanging down.  I didn't see a name anywhere.

P1260089.jpg

GADZOOKS!!!

That Ravenala is E N O R M O U S ! ! ! !

:o

DAVE

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

One last shot of an A alatum frond.  These palms were beautiful and the pictures don't do them justice.  

P1260114.jpg

Gorgeous pics...love that stilt palm! that traveler's size is amazing!! If mine ever gets that big, I am in trouble :o

Oh & you look great BTW  :D

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

This next palm stopped me in my tracks!  I thought at first, Metroxylon?  But it was labeled as Pigafetta filaris.  I didn't see any spines though, is it a Piggy?  This palm was huge and the guy told me it was planted two years ago from a one gallon pot.  I knew Piggy's were fast, but is that possible?  

P1260130.jpg

P1260132.jpg

My friend Julio next to it for scale.

P1260135.jpg

and looking up into the crown

P1260136.jpg

OUCH!

Just swooned into some re-bar . . . .

That "Pig" is AWESOME . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This interesting plant was all over the place and came in different sizes and leaf patterns

P1260164.jpg

After the Botanical Garden, we went into town for some cold ones and a little lunch.  I had some very good jerk chicken at this place.

P1260207.jpg

Puerto Viejo waterfront.  PV reminded me of what parts of Jamaica looked like 20 years ago.  

P1260214.jpg

We spent an afternoon at a waterfront bar.  This was our view, we stayed way too long and drank way too much... :)

P1270258.jpg

And a couple shots of the beach on our last day.  These were taken at Playa Negra near our hotel.

P1270245.jpg

P1270242.jpg

(junglegalfla @ Feb. 11 2008,10:18)

Gorgeous pics...love that stilt palm! that traveler's size is amazing!! If mine ever gets that big, I am in trouble :o

!!!  I didn't see the little tiny people next to the Ravenala until I looked back to see what all the fuss was about.  That thing is a monster!

Puerto Viejo looks very appealing.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

One last picture.  On our drive back to San Jose, the highway goes over the mountains and through the Braulio Carrillo National Park.  I stopped along the road and took a picture looking back down into the valley.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of this park during the Biennial!

P1280274.jpg

(junglegalfla @ Feb. 11 2008,13:18)

Thanks Bren!  I must have taken 20 pictures of that Travelers.  It was beautiful.