IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

African Oil Palms Parque 10

amazondk

I was invited to participate in the Manaus American Football training session at a recreationsl center close to my house by the head coach of the team.   I played football in high school in Great Falls, Montanat many years ago.  That is 1968 to 1970.  We had the state championship team.  Some guys here in Manaus have formed a footbal team and are going to Brasilia in 2 months for the national American Football Championship.  They have no gear and have sort of invented there own rules.  It was an experience.  And, the place is full of African Oil Palms.

Palms

pq10a-2.jpg

Pq103.jpg

pq102.jpg

pq10a-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The football was a real trip. They put me on the microphone to talk to everyone about football in the States.  Well it has been nearly 40 years since I played on the Great Falls Bison, state champs in 1967, 1968, and 1969.  But, I remember basically how the game is played.  These guys play tackle football no gear.  They have fun at any rate.  And, I don't know how many will get hurt.   They want me to be the local advisor to the team.

football1.jpg

football2.jpg

football3.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, Always interesting! Igot one of those African Oils booming on up in the back of my back yard.It threatens to be big.

I know your son goes to FSU.Any Mascots for your team and of course Oseola is a legend here in Florida.Let us know how the Rules in your game are different from American Football.Thanks.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba,

They really don't know what the rules are for sure.  That is one of their problems and why they asked me to help.  Of course without equipment especially helmets you are a bit more limited on what can be done.  They do slam into each other pretty well though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ari,

Yes, football (soccer) is the Brazilian sport.  That is what makes these guys playing American footbal so unique.  This is the first time I have ever seen such a thing here.  The one thing is they can really kick the ball well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg