IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Messin' with the Chickens

putu enjula

(putu enjula @ Feb. 11 2008,21:17)

I guess since they're not going anywhere I should name them....   I was thinking "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle DUMB"

The red one would be tweedle dee.  Does anyone have any suggestions for names??

Cel and I named our turkeys, Ozzie and Harriet.

Or maybe Archonto and Phoenix  :D

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(putu enjula @ Feb. 11 2008,22:17)

I guess since they're not going anywhere I should name them....  

Well if you  were cooking and feeding me gourmet meals I probably wouldn't leave either! Especially if I was a wild (freerange) chicken! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

What was the name of that Loony Tunes chicken?

Nice looking birds, my brother and folks have chickens....Rhode Island Reds and Dominiques.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

In Israel they have bred the featherless chicken.  Now it would be different to have a flock of these running around.  They are especially good for hot climates.  In fact we have a lot of range chickens here that have bald heads and necks.

_37942830_chicken150.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 11 2008,22:24)

(putu enjula @ Feb. 11 2008,21:17)

I guess since they're not going anywhere I should name them....   I was thinking "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle DUMB"

The red one would be tweedle dee.  Does anyone have any suggestions for names??

Cel and I named our turkeys, Ozzie and Harriet.

When I lived in CA a few years ago, got my ex a couple of baby ducks at a feed store ($1 each, no tax, since they were a food item!) for her young kids to give her for Mother's Day.

After the first few minutes of joy, my ex asks, "Well, what should we name 'em?" Noticing one was slightly larger than the other, I say, "That one's Thanksgiving, and the smaller one is Christmas." The kids, fortunately, were too young to understand...

Those ducks may still reside in Mason Park in Irvine...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 08 2008,22:27)

Will they taste better on pasta diet? :P

And no, sorry... MattyB's thread, who has the biggest cranium, still wins the most useless thread award!  :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .....my belly hurts!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(amazondk @ Feb. 12 2008,15:55)

In Israel they have bred the featherless chicken.  Now it would be different to have a flock of these running around.  They are especially good for hot climates.  In fact we have a lot of range chickens here that have bald heads and necks.

_37942830_chicken150.jpg

But, won't they get sunburned??   :D  Maybe you could pour coconut juice over them (while they're alive) and start pre-marinating them! :laugh:  :laugh:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Hmmm...  the longer I look at that featherless chicken the more I lose my appetite! That's one UGLY bird...  I don't think anyone would feel guilty about eating that one.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

This time the little fellow is in a more natural environment.  The article about them does mention the problem with sunburn.  So, I guess you would have to keep them in the shade.  A rooster without his plumage is sure one ugly critter.  But, they look that way when they are ready to hit the pot anyway.

chicken3.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Feb. 12 2008,23:04)

Angela,

This time the little fellow is in a more natural environment.  The article about them does mention the problem with sunburn.  So, I guess you would have to keep them in the shade.  A rooster without his plumage is sure one ugly critter.  But, they look that way when they are ready to hit the pot anyway.

chicken3.jpg

Yeah they're all READY to GO!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Lol, do you think if he was around some chickens with their plumage, he'd be embarrassed??  I bet chicken have nightmares about that...  walking around in public without their feathers!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Aren't you people supposed to be out planting palms??? :P

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(putu enjula @ Feb. 13 2008,16:39)

Lol, do you think if he was around some chickens with their plumage, he'd be embarrassed??  I bet chicken have nightmares about that...  walking around in public without their feathers!

I think that would make a great social experiment.  It really would be interesting to know if chickens, especially roosters realize that they have plumage and purposely show it off.  

Bo,

At least I use chicken manure for the garden.  I do try to compost it though.  I normally pay attention to these sort of subjects in the middle of the night and researching subjects like featherless chickens for some reason helps me get back to sleep.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Beautiful pictures, Lovely birds. Chickens are the best beasts one can keep in a large garden.

Are they staying? How many are they? They can eat possibly anything we eat and breed a lot as long as space and food is provided.

I have LOTS of them free ranging at my place. They are semi-wild and I seldom find eggs. They do whatever they want, different shapes, different colours, some can even fly quite a distance. Some males have unbelievable vibrant colours, like the best tropical birds. They divide in groups, the largest groups with the best males sleep up on the mango and avocado trees. Other groups cross the road and nest in the shrubbery or in the surrounding rocky slopes.

They tend to stay where you feed them. If they are not too many they should not do much damage but, watch them as they can do unexpected strikes, all at once. They can decide to demolish your orchids because they are mounted on woodchips and these host larvae. During a drought they will dig beneath any dripper, looking for "life". They mess on the compost pile (I have a compost pit). They check and clean newly planted areas, (so move the soil, let them work for a few hours, and then come back and plant! ) Sometimes one single bird may decide to do one single thing obsessively and it can uproot one of your small palms in the ground to get one single worm.

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 11 2008,19:24)

I REALLY like those names!!  Works on a couple of levels!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(pohonkelapa @ Feb. 13 2008,20:14)

why did they cross the road???

:D

To get to the other side of course.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

They cross the road because the main males do not allow them lesser males to live on the rich side, where trees are grown and maize is spread around. Lesser males with their few chciks come to the "rich" side of the road to feed when food is spread and then leave to live in the dry bush for the rest of the day.

The featherless guy is horrible.

I have a picture of cats and cocks eating (cat food)from the same tray. I can't find it now.

(amazondk @ Feb. 13 2008,23:24)

(putu enjula @ Feb. 13 2008,16:39)

I think that would make a great social experiment.  !

Normal males would kill him during the welcome fight. With no feathers it would die on the very first day.  :(

(amazondk @ Feb. 13 2008,23:24)

...At least I use chicken manure for the garden.  I do try to compost it though.  dk

Don, I am trying to compost it too, with old leaves, but I don't see the fresh one is burning my plants. They wildly pooped over my Pinanga javana, Trachycarpusm martianus, Neoveitchia, Chambeyronia, cymbidiums, bromeliads and nothing happened. The Neoveitchia and the Pinanga were just below their sleeping area so they became grey for a month, coated by droppings, with the pots loaded. I just cleaned them with the hose and they were just perfect ?!?!

(Carlo Morici @ Feb. 13 2008,16:22)

Beautiful pictures, Lovely birds. Chickens are the best beasts one can keep in a large garden.

Are they staying? How many are they? They can eat possibly anything we eat and breed a lot as long as space and food is provided.

I have LOTS of them free ranging at my place. They are semi-wild and I seldom find eggs. They do whatever they want, different shapes, different colours, some can even fly quite a distance. Some males have unbelievable vibrant colours, like the best tropical birds. They divide in groups, the largest groups with the best males sleep up on the mango and avocado trees. Other groups cross the road and nest in the shrubbery or in the surrounding rocky slopes.

They tend to stay where you feed them. If they are not too many they should not do much damage but, watch them as they can do unexpected strikes, all at once. They can decide to demolish your orchids because they are mounted on woodchips and these host larvae. During a drought they will dig beneath any dripper, looking for "life". They mess on the compost pile (I have a compost pit). They check and clean newly planted areas, (so move the soil, let them work for a few hours, and then come back and plant! ) Sometimes one single bird may decide to do one single thing obsessively and it can uproot one of your small palms in the ground to get one single worm.

I thought we were down to two... but all four have been accounted for.  The neighbor borrowed a riffle because everyone on our road can't stand the noise, so I thought maybe he "offed some of them.  I guess they are young roosters because they never used to fight. Yesterday they were all going at it....

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums....111.flv

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums....114.flv

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Bad, bad neighbour! :) Too many males (noise + fights) Keep one male and have a peaceful silent harem. A few occasional fights are a great pleasant show, it is only if you keep too many males/females that you get continuous fights with lots of blood and feathers, not for the faint hearthed.

This whole thread made me hungry...

Why don't we have Kentucky fried chicken in Brazil...sigh  :(   Ohhhh....12 piece, extra crispy pleeeeeeease.......

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Chickens are great for the soil.  The best thing is to have a portable pen that you move around every day.  I keep trying to get my husband to let me have a few to help with the horse manure.  But no luck so far.  I'll keep working on it.  I could have fresh eggs and the manure would be all broken down.  They are wonderful for the garden - eat lots of insects.  Don't feed them chicken.  Overcrowding is the reason they turn into cannibals in the huge houses.  And be cautious of the words "free range".  It may not be true.

We had chickens when I was growing up and we never fed them.  They just grazed and scratched all day and we would lock them up at night.  Always had eggs and fresh chicken.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Angela,

Taking Carlo's suggestion of thinning your flock leaving only one rooster you could convert the other roosters into Kapons.  I did not even know about kapons until last year when I was up north of here and the lady at the hotel sold me a freshly killed and cleaned one.  If you are not familiar with them the kapon is a rooster who has been neutered and then left to fatten up.  They have very tender meat as opposed to most roosters.  The trick is to have someone who knows how to neuter a rooster.  My mother and father knew all about this as they used to have them when thery were small.  But, that was back in the Great Depression when a lot of things were different from now.

Gileno there is a KFC on Avenida Brandeirantes in Sao Paulo.  At least it was there last time I was there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Feb. 13 2008,00:04)

Angela,

chicken3.jpg

I think this chicken's "nature environment" is a laboratory.  

This is science gone horribly wrong.  Looks like some of Mefisto's work from South Park.   :laugh:

Eating palm hearts is not a crime...but is should be.

Inspired by this thread, today I spread an expresso-coffe cup of their thing on each of my potted winter growing palms (Paraj., Trachy and Rhapis spp. in 25 cm pots). It was 0-90 days old, and I mixed it with some fine cinder and leaf debris. Let's see what happens.

Carlo

Carlo,

I made some chicken manure tea.  It seems to work pretty good.  I put a sack of chicken manure in a barrel for a week or so.  Sort of like a tea bag.  And, then I took it out.  I have been using it by diluting the tea by about 4 to 1 and have had no problems.  The plants seem to like it.  It does not have the best smell though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

What did you do then with the content of the used "tea bag"?

Teas... good idea. I should do it and also do tea with coffee grounds. But I need a fertigation machine first to inject this in the pipes, because I don't see me walking up and down on these steep slopes with buckets of stinky teas.

Carlo,

I mixed it in with leaves and other organic matter like grass and composted it.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

:( This dumb hen is trying to get to my bird feeder...

IMGP7557.jpg

Maybe she was trying to impress the boys...

IMGP7554.jpg

IMGP7568.jpg

IMGP7572.jpg

After this pic the red rooster got into BIG trouble...   they all started fighting...  you can see some of the fight in post 62.  I followed a trail of blood to where they were fighting and they wouldn't stop...  I thought they were going to fight to the death...  since then I have only seen two roosters :(

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

IMGP7535.jpg

My experiment was a flop with the caffeinated food...  I couldn't tell if their behavior changed- they always seem "edgy"

IMGP7547.jpg

Here are "our" Kalij.

IMGP7505.jpg

IMGP7506.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

Maybe you should get a couple of peacocks to add to the flock.  They would make the neighbors real happy.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Fights can be hard, but they seldom get to death. You possibly lost that male because it was kicked away from this territory. I have once seen a cock killing another one, I was ready to dig the hole. But after some minutes, the dead bird jumped up and runned away.

Just searched Kalij ... from Wikipedia

"The Kalij Pheasant, Lophura leucomelanos is a pheasant found all along the foothills of the Himalaya in a number of local populations with variations. They are also found (though somewhat rare) in the Islands of Hawaii."

How do Gallus and Lophura get along?

(amazondk @ Feb. 17 2008,16:36)

Angela,

Maybe you should get a couple of peacocks to add to the flock.  They would make the neighbors real happy.

dk

Ever since I was a little girl I've wanted to have a peacock!!!  I know, I know, they're really noisey!  A few years ago, I was looking online to order some peachicks but then I found out it was illegal to keep any type of fowl in your yard in San Diego city limits so I gave up on that dream.   :(   Here in Hawaii it would annoy too many neighbors.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(Carlo Morici @ Feb. 17 2008,16:39)

Fights can be hard, but they seldom get to death. You possibly lost that male because it was kicked away from this territory. I have once seen a cock killing another one, I was ready to dig the hole. But after some minutes, the dead bird jumped up and runned away.

Just searched Kalij ... from Wikipedia

"The Kalij Pheasant, Lophura leucomelanos is a pheasant found all along the foothills of the Himalaya in a number of local populations with variations. They are also found (though somewhat rare) in the Islands of Hawaii."

How do Gallus and Lophura get along?

Carlo,

Post #18 kind of illustrates how they get along! :)

There used to be two flocks consisting of 8 Kalij that would visit...  then the jungle fowl moved in and chased them away. They rarely come through now.  But there are two Kalij who have actually taken up residency in the garden and use it as a home base.  We feed them chicken scratch.  I'll throw some out to them and they're get as close as a meter from me.  The roosters will be waiting and watching in the distance....   as soon as I go back into the house they bully the Kalij into leaving. :(

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Peafowl have adapted happily to the Palos Verdes peninsula, where the locals are pissed at the noise they make, the poop they leave and their aggressive behavior to small dogs, cats and little children.

AaaaaaacccccckkkkkkK!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.