IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Messin' with the Chickens

putu enjula

These birds are noisy and keep me up in the wee hours of the morning with their cockle doodle dooing...    Sometimes I have too much time on my hands...  and these pictures are the results...    :P

IMGP7148.jpg

One day I wondered if they would eat some pasta...

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I'm striving to do the dumbest thread ever.... is it working?

IMGP7179.jpg

IMGP7187.jpg

Turns out these chickens are cannibals... they loved the chowmein and sweet and sour chicken.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 08 2008,19:27)

Will they taste better on pasta diet? :P

And no, sorry... MattyB's thread, who has the biggest cranium, still wins the most useless thread award!  :laugh:

I'm not sure...  I've put them on an American junk food diet...   french fries, potato chips, macaroni salad...  fried chicken lol!   I've even treated them to coffee-soaked bread!  I think their blood pressure's rising :P

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(putu enjula @ Feb. 08 2008,23:28)

I'm not sure...  I've put them on an American junk food diet...   french fries, potato chips, macaroni salad...  fried chicken lol!   I've even treated them to coffee-soaked bread!  I think their blood pressure's rising :P

You think that has their blood pressure rising, then record a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial and go play it for them.   :D  :D

Then they will be kind of like my turkeys around Thanksgiving and New Years.   They are sure breathing easier nowadays.  

:laugh:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Have you ever attended a chicken Seance?You can hear the knocking from the other side.

Angela,I checked out the Palmapedia site and it is truly outstanding. Very impressed by some obvious high quality hard work.Thank you and all for a great site.

What you look for is what is looking

Ms. E:

This isn't useless at all.

Most of us here in the United States forget that chicken comes from a bird . . . . .  

And, I know they'll eat most anything.

I had a couple once, and I'd go to Burger King, and get three 99 sent whoppers, eat all of one, the meat in the other two, then feed what was left to the chickens.  Down the hatch!

B-GAAAAACCCCKKK!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Don't feed chickens to chickens.  You might get Mad Chicken Disease!

Jeremiah

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

(bubba @ Feb. 09 2008,13:43)

Have you ever attended a chicken Seance?You can hear the knocking from the other side.

Angela,I checked out the Palmapedia site and it is truly outstanding. Very impressed by some obvious high quality hard work.Thank you and all for a great site.

Thanks! There are many great contributors but we need more!!  ANYONE can contribute by uploading photos or if you have some knowledge of a particular palm you can write about it.  I added a few of my photos to some of the species pages (only the good ones with huge files, in other words high res photos so you can view them on a big HDTV  :)  ) Right now it is undergoing a major upgrade which will enable many new audio and visual features.  So don't be shy everyone... many of you out there have something great you could contribute.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Feb. 09 2008,14:01)

Don't feed chickens to chickens.  You might get Mad Chicken Disease!

Jeremiah

Oops  too late!!! :o

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Nice colorful co....uh.....co.....uh...........male chicken you have there.... :P

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Chickens (at least young chicks) will cannibalize each other if kept too confined. They especially pull out each others' tailfeathers.

And, of course, you can draw a line on a piece of paper, stick the chicken's beak to it, and lull him/her to sleep.

(This practice is referenced in the Iggy Pop song "Lust for Life": "...that's like hypnotizing chickens...," though I doubt it has to do with pencil lines...)

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

maybe you could do a little kobe chicken, like kobe beef, feed them grain steeped in warm beer, pet them, and then when they are drunk and fat, WHACK off with their heads, and on to the grill!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Those are good looking birds, I used to raise Game Cocks,  My Dad used to ship the To Hawaii every year.

Edrow

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

We do not own these jungle fowl- they picked us :angry: !!  They are the ones running things around here. They walk where ever they want to walk, crow whenever they want to crow, whether it's 1am or 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am- whenever their little tiny tastey chicken hearts desire!! They are definitely "free range".

IMGP5596.jpg

Here are the bad boys...  they're getting ready to bully the kalij.

IMGP5599.jpg

IMGP5603.jpg

IMGP5607.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

Those are truly great chicken pictures.  You could even use the material to make a tropical chicken calander.  We have chickens running all over the place here.  There is no effective restriction in regards to raising animals in town so people often keep them in their yards.  So, every morning the crowing starts before the sun is up.  Here are a few pictures from one of the places I buy my chicken to go from.  They have a very effective chicken execution line and can kill multiple chickens at a time.

The chicken and duck market.  You first need to select your live bird.

chickenmarket.jpg

Then the executioner takes it out to meet it's fate.  You can see the big pot of boiling water on her left.  This is where the recently dead bird gets dunked before the feathers are plucked.

chickentogo.jpg

The chicken has just had it's throat slit and the executioner is going after another one.  The blood can be dripping off her sharp knife.  There they don't cut the heads off because some people like to eat them.  It is not exactly like buying a frozen bird at the supermarket.  But, you know where it comes from.  The cost of a fresh nicely cleaned and package chicken is about 8 USD.

chickenkilling.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

And they germinate palms too!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I sort of thought the coconuts in sawdust provided a nice setting for killing chickens.  They also sell chicken manure for your garden.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Angela,

These are da mostest beautiful chickens I have seen.   :P  

When do dees buggas sleep?

Eating palm hearts is not a crime...but is should be.

(Tess @ Feb. 10 2008,11:37)

Angela,

These are da mostest beautiful chickens I have seen.   :P  

When do dees buggas sleep?

Seems like never!  They sleep at night but they are light sleepers!!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Wow Don, nice photojournalism!  

Hmmm  I'm not sure there is a market for chicken calendars! If you see a demand for them, let me know... then we could go into business! :D

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela

Those are some great pictures!

Edrow

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

Interestingly the chicken is one of the indicators that there was contact between other continents and South America before the Europeans.  Chickens appear to have been here long before Columbus.  The most likely route for the chickens arrival in South America is from Polynesia.  It is unlikely that the Asian bird swam over.  There are DNA links with Samoan and Tongan chickens.  On the other hand the sweet potatoe appears to have made it the other direction from South America to the South Pacific in pre Colombian times.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Feb. 11 2008,07:29)

Interestingly the chicken is one of the indicators that there was contact between other continents and South America before the Europeans.  Chickens appear to have been here long before Columbus.  The most likely route for the chickens arrival in South America is from Polynesia.  It is unlikely that the Asian bird swam over.  There are DNA links with Samoan and Tongan chickens.  On the other hand the sweet potatoe appears to have made it the other direction from South America to the South Pacific in pre Colombian times.

dk

I think that is really interesting...  I almost changed my major to Anthropology but  decided to stick to getting an Art degree :P

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I made a special treat for them ! :laugh:

IMGP7486.jpg

I made it with left overs...  no way I'm cooking for these dumb birds!

It's comprised of mashed potatoes, gravy (turkey gravy, lol!) steamed riced and the dregs of Balinese coffee...   for those of you familiar with Balinese coffee, you know it's strong!  Balinese coffee is ground to a fine powder which you stir into very hot water...  you have to wait for the coffee to settle to the bottom... the "sludge" was what I mixed into my concoction ....  THEN I stirred in some unbrewed Kona coffee grounds :)  I think I'll add some wild bird seed to it.

I'll document the results of  caffeinating the chickens... stayed tuned!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

*NOTE:   It's so different here in Hawaii... everything you do, you have to think of how it will impact the island.  Back in SoCal, you could throw wild bird seed everywhere without a care... here, you have to wonder if you are creating an ecological disaster by spreading a seed of something that might take over the whole island.  There is a major problem with fountain grass; it's everywhere. It's rumored that one family over here wanted to line their driveway with that "ornamental" grass and from there it spread everywhere... it even grows it the lava fields. There has been a number of wild fires because of this grass.  ANYWAY, before I give the birds the wild bird seed, I microwave it for a while...   until some of it actually pops into tiny "popcorn." I'm trying to prevent it from sprouting... hopefully that will do the trick.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(putu enjula @ Feb. 11 2008,15:26)

(amazondk @ Feb. 11 2008,07:29)

dk

I think that is really interesting...  I almost changed my major to Anthropology but  decided to stick to getting an Art degree :P

Angela,

I ended up getting a degree in Cultural Geography with a minor in Anthropology.  What I liked so much about Cultural Geography was the way humans modify the landscape to serve their cultural needs.  And, food is one of the main ways of tracking human occupation of the Earth.  I think there was a lot more communication going on thousands of years ago than most people imagine.  

You do have some great lookin chickens running around there at any rate.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Feb. 11 2008,17:50)

You do have some great lookin chickens running around there at any rate.

dk

:angry:  LOL! They're not ours!!  They won't go away!!! :D

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I guess since they're not going anywhere I should name them....   I was thinking "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle DUMB"

The red one would be tweedle dee.  Does anyone have any suggestions for names??

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia