IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fruiting breadfruit in Key West

buzzmonkey

I took these pictures last September in Key West. Breadfruit seems ot be perfectly happy there, but there aren't that many planted in the Keys for some reason

DSCN5358.jpg

DSCN5359.jpg

DSCN5357.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+

Nice tree!  Mine struggles thru winter in Hollywood Florida, defoliating   but coming back strong by the late spring.

San Fernando Valley, California

There's a really nice 25-footer (single-trunk, rounded crown) on the south edge of Audubon Park in Homestead. I have some pics somewhere...

• Like 1

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

There is a 15' (+-) Breadfruit in the Deerfield Beach Arboretum.  We had approximately 37F in the last cold spell.  I have a windbreak up and put a heater by it overnite, but it still got some damage.  It lost over half its leaves and had tip die back several nodes but is budding out like crazy now.  :)

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I think there is a fruiting specimen at Bill Whitman's in North Miami Beach.  There might be on on Palm Beach Island.

Geraldo

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

I bet there are fruiting ones at Fruit and Spice Park in The Redland.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I just came back from KW this past weekend. Nancy Forrester has a large one on her property and it was fruiting. But I don't know of any others up this far north.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Big Frond they have almost no taste.They take the flavor of whatever they are cooked with much like eggplant.They are mostly starch.They were brought to the New World to feed the growing slave populations.Remember "Mutiny on the Bounty"? This was what the voyage was all about.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Our last freeze here was in 1989.  As fast as these grow, it is possible to have one almost anywhere in SoFlo big enough to bear fruit, but not very likely.  Most people won't take the chance so it would have to be pretty rare outside of the Keys.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

• 12 years later...
On 2/9/2008 at 10:22 AM, Peter said:

Nice tree!  Mine struggles thru winter in Hollywood Florida, defoliating   but coming back strong by the late spring.

How is your breadfruit doing a decade later? Has it ever fruited? There seem to be quite a few breadfruits on mainland South Florida now. Any pics to see yours? We have had very mild winters since 2010 so I am assuming yours has done well if it survived that year...

On 2/11/2008 at 12:49 PM, BigFrond said:

How do the fruit taste like?  Is it sweet?  Is it like the jackfruit? ???

I would say like french fries! Pretty much like a potatoe if fried.

1 minute ago, chinandega81 said:

I would say like french fries! Pretty much like a potatoe if fried.

One of my favorite ways to use breadfruit is to substitute it for potatoes for traditional potato salad.

• Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

On 2/13/2008 at 3:45 PM, Really full garden said:

Big Frond they have almost no taste.They take the flavor of whatever they are cooked with much like eggplant.They are mostly starch.They were brought to the New World to feed the growing slave populations.Remember "Mutiny on the Bounty"? This was what the voyage was all about.

They kind of sweet when ripe.  I have one, but only about 4'tall.  I love to eat them.

1-nuke for 3 min in micro wave

2- peel and cut into bite sized chunks throwing away the "seedy" center.

3- place in slow cooker along w/4 cans of different kinds of beans,

4-add 1 can of Rotel and a large can of cut mushrooms

5-cook slow for about 5 hours.

As we say in the islands    "ONO".

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2008 at 9:21 AM, fastfeat said:

I bet there are fruiting ones at Fruit and Spice Park in The Redland.

Ironically they do, inside a greenhouse. I know the Redlands get colder than most of South Florida due to it being an agricultural area and well inland...but it's ironic,  many people grow them outdoors in their yards in SE Florida yet not at the Fruit and Spice park. I think Fairchild might have one too in a greenhouse if i'm not mistaken. 

On 2/9/2008 at 6:18 PM, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

There is a 15' (+-) Breadfruit in the Deerfield Beach Arboretum.  We had approximately 37F in the last cold spell.  I have a windbreak up and put a heater by it overnite, but it still got some damage.  It lost over half its leaves and had tip die back several nodes but is budding out like crazy now.  :)

How is your Breadfruit doing now?

Alas, poor Breadfruit!  I new him well.

Lots of buds emerged but a bacterial rot set up all over it and the whole thing just melted.  You may have heard me crying.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

17 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Alas, poor Breadfruit!  I new him well.

Lots of buds emerged but a bacterial rot set up all over it and the whole thing just melted.  You may have heard me crying.

That's awful, im so sorry. Maybe you could try again? A lot of people seem to have success now. Maybe there there is a different variety that is now being propagated that is more resistant?

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2008 at 11:19 AM, fastfeat said:

There's a really nice 25-footer (single-trunk, rounded crown) on the south edge of Audubon Park in Homestead. I have some pics somewhere...

Here it is today...

20210627_095456_HDR.jpg

• Like 1