IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer garden pics..

quaman58

Hey all,

Had a liitle time to post a few images of the backyard. The heat and humidity this year have made most plants very happy. They're not gonna know to do when winter sinks in..

View from the top of hill.

IMG_0647.jpg

Dypsis Lanceolata. Wonderful grower in this part of the world.

IMG_0595.jpg

Sabal minor setting seed.

IMG_0646.jpg

"Razorback" path halfway up hill. Every rock in wall came from digging a hole for a plant.  :D  As the sayin goes; when life hands you a lemon....

IMG_0604.jpg

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

View from halfway up hillside..

IMG_0560.jpg

Very pretty Plumeria "borrowed" from Kauai last year on vacation.

IMG_0586.jpg

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Bret,

You have a beautiful garden! And the topography looks very interesting. Are you up on Mt Soledad?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Thanks for the encouragement..If you only knew how much I studied images gardens such as yours for ideas!

I'm actually located in an area of UC just to the east of I-5 and Mt. Soledad. A finger canyon area just north of Marion Bear Park. (San Clemente canyon, as it used to be known).

Bret

Bret

Bret,

OK, I know where that is. In the late 1980s before we moved to Poway, we lived in Clairemont (Mt. Abbey and Mt Ariane Ct), and I went out for a morning run every single day. Was heavily into marathon training. In the process I explored every single street and canyon from Tierra Santa in the east, to OB, PB and MB in the west, UTC in the north to Old Town in the south. Funny thing is, I ran past the Wright's place on Burgener many times and enjoyed seeing the palms, but I didn't find out about the Palm Society until after we moved to Poway!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bret, You've done an incredible job with your yard! It looks like your in a good climatic zone. Would love to check it out sometime. I live in Clairemont in the Mt. streets. Keep up the good work! Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

You know Bo, it's amazing how many great places (like the Wright's) as well as the plants that I just rushed by prior to the "palm bug" biting me. Now whenever I'm driving around town, I'm always on the lookout. Drives my family crazy, but they put up with me!

Steve, you're welcome anytime. Send me a PM when you have time. It's still a young garden, & Lord knows, I'm still learning. But I always enjoy talking with other palmaholics!

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Dear friend  :)

I have never seen such a intreasting garden as

yours.the layout seem preety neat and that hill

like effect with stairs in them are lovely.

the banana tree(reddish type is very nice).

thanks for sharing those garden pictures.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I like gardens on slopes: they have another dimension (besides good drainage which always helps)

Bret: you have a beautiful garden!

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Bret,

That's a very nice garden.  The rock borders and pathways add a nice peripheral effect.

ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B