IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trithrinax campestris

ghar41

Many years ago I bought at a Northern Cal Palm Society auction a T. schizophylla. It probably was from Dick. I'm not sure of the difference between T. schizophylla and T. campestris. The crown does split and now it has three district stems. This is a photo from a couple of years ago.

Jack

post-1848-1216428167_thumb.jpg

Charles, Alberto, Dick , Kathryn, Jack, Ghar, Phil, et others,

I am enjoying the photos and the commentary. It is one of the few palms that endures all winters here in North Florida

There a few around here in Florida

Fla Comm. College at Jacksonville has 3 or so about meter and 1/2 tall. These survived 89' 16F without issue.

I have one that seeds regulatry same size I will post some photos soon ... it took 89 freeze without issue.

A few small T. campestris -- I got the seeds from Gaston about a decade ago reall small

Theres a fellow in central FL-- Real nice guy named Bud I cant remember his last name He had one about the size of the Oakland Arboreteum speciemen --- this was about 10 years ago when the Central FL meeting was.

Merrill had a huge T. acantrocoma/bras -- over 4 meters tall--- it died tho but there are some photos around-- this was the largest one I have seen in the US. It took all the winters 83, 85, 89-- I guess it saw minimus of 10F or lower. 1985 had gale force winds associated with these low temps so it saw lower than 10F .

I will go out in garden and get a few photos

Best wishes to all,

Ed Brown

Ed,

Those are great shots of your T. acanthocoma. The Trithrinax have some of the most beautiful flowers of the palms and they are so fragrant. Mine are covered with honey bees during the short time they flower. I'm always surprised how fast the flowers appear. One day you see a bract or spath appearing and two or three days later the flowers have burst forth. Most years I have a bumper crop of seeds on my T. acanthocoma's, but this spring not one of them bloomed. I guess they are taking a rest.

All of my palms bloom in the spring or summer except for T. campestris which blooms in late October or November. It's kind of strange because that's the only palm I have that does that.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Here's Trithrinax acanthocoma in fruit. Even though it looks tempting, they're not edible.

Jack

post-1848-1216589217_thumb.jpg

Good to hear from you Dick,

The flowers look good coming and going. Even the spath is interesting. Mine get full of bumble bees as well as other insects.

Jack, the fruit is pretty mine obviously didnt set many seeds this year.

Here in North Florida we get droughts in spring. The palms foliage gets greyish green very-- prettty.

Best wishe,s

Ed