IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jeff Serle's Epic Florida garden

DoomsDave

(Shon @ Feb. 07 2008,22:44)

Wow Jeff very nice. You whole garden is very impressive. Wanted a few id's on posts 15,30 and 37. Thanks for takin such cool photo's Dave!

Post 15 looks like Neoveitchia storckii.

South Florida

All I wanted was a [bleep] fopr just an hour or two . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 07 2008,17:13)

Not sure what this is, but it's purty

looks like Neoveithcia storkii ta meeeeeee

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Thanks Dave for the great photos....  

One photo wasn't so great but it kept me laughing out loud for a good five minutes...  I had to refrain from making a snarkastic remark!  :D

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Any more photos of the Carpoxylon Dave, I can't get enough of that one of Jeff's , I only hope mine grows like that in a few years.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 07 2008,17:10)

Close up of Jeff.

Hmm.  That's the same sweatshirt he wore to California . . ..

Hope it got a rest in the meantime . . . . .   :laugh:

Must have been in the upper 70's for Jeff to be wearing that sweatshirt.  We might get close to 70 for a high this weekend, I am so jealous!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

OUTSTANDING!   Dave i cant believe you did not know the name of all those awsome palms with your superior intillect, and palmy knowladge. :laugh:

(GREENHAND @ Feb. 08 2008,15:14)

OUTSTANDING!   Dave i cant believe you did not know the name of all those awsome palms with your superior intillect, and palmy knowladge. :laugh:

By the time I got to Jeff's place, my brain was full to the rim like a cup of Brim . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Feb. 07 2008,23:00)

YAY!!  Thanks for the tour! I wannago!  :D

Oh, yeah, you sure do.

My short trip there didn't do it nearly enough justice.

I ran out of battery power while there.

Sigh.

Story of my life.

dave

(putu enjula @ Feb. 08 2008,04:13)

One photo wasn't so great but it kept me laughing out loud for a good five minutes...  I had to refrain from making a snarkastic remark!  :D

Which one was it?

Just curious . . . .  ???

Dave, It was good to meet you that day!  Had I known you were passing thru there that day, I would have made it a point to arrive a bit earlier and wandered the shadehouses with you guys (and probably bought something....  :D  I get out of control there!)

Thaat A. purpurea in post 5 is really freakin purple!  That's the first unusual palm I saw at Jeff's that day.  It's still one of my favorites!

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 07 2008,20:18)

Jeff's pooch enters my scent into his doggie databank . . . .

Sniffffffff -- ewww

Dave, you should be in showbizz. At this point in your commentary I have tears of laughter.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Thanks for the tour Dave...

It would be great if Jeff could identify his treasures for us too...I know its very difficult to remember everything in a garden like this but well... Syagrussy is wide genus... :laugh:

PS: I fell in love with the Daemonorops in the other thread (part 2)...what is the species?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

(Dave from So-Cal @ Feb. 08 2008,15:36)

(putu enjula @ Feb. 08 2008,04:13)

Which one was it?

Just curious . . . .  ???

Let's just say it had a couple of dogs in it...  :laugh:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Dave,

Thanks for coming by that day, it was a pleasure to finally get to meet you and spend some time together.

Dave was sort of on palm over-load, spinning around, looking up and down and left to right. I can still hear him...what's this? What's that? So I will ID some of the palms. Some of you guys guessed a couple right.

Oh....and my A R M Y sweat jacket is my favorite. And my only one. But living down here, we don't get to dress warmly very often.

OK...here goes,

#5- Hyophorbe lagenicaulis crossed with H. versch.

#8- Carpoxylon macrospermum

#9- Calyptrocalyx sp. "Puan"

#10- Raphia farinifera

#12- Dypsis sp. "Orange Crush" It looks just like what I saw while out visiting Calif.

#13- Beccariophoenix alfredii

#14- Dypsis cabadae

#15- Neoveitchia storckii

#19- Reinhardtia paiewonskiana (nice size... :) )

#22- Copernicia rigida

#30- Gaussia gomez-pompae

Thanks Dave and others.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Feb. 13 2008,05:50)

Dave,

Thanks for coming by that day, it was a pleasure to finally get to meet you and spend some time together.

Dave was sort of on palm over-load, spinning around, looking up and down and left to right. I can still hear him...what's this? What's that? So I will ID some of the palms. Some of you guys guessed a couple right.

Oh....and my A R M Y sweat jacket is my favorite. And my only one. But living down here, we don't get to dress warmly very often.

OK...here goes,

#5- Hyophorbe lagenicaulis crossed with H. versch.

#8- Carpoxylon macrospermum

#9- Calyptrocalyx sp. "Puan"

#10- Raphia farinifera

#12- Dypsis sp. "Orange Crush" It looks just like what I saw while out visiting Calif.

#13- Beccariophoenix alfredii

#14- Dypsis cabadae

#15- Neoveitchia storckii

#19- Reinhardtia paiewonskiana (nice size... :) )

#22- Copernicia rigida

#30- Gaussia gomez-pompae

Thanks Dave and others.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff's ID's.                           :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

Could post #26 possibly be Butia archeri?  I can't imagine you would grow plain old B. campestris. If so, save the seeds as they are very sought after in Calif. Whatever it is, I love the color.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dear Dave  :)

lovely stills of a yet another beautiful garden... :)  

And dear jeff your bismarkia,copernica rigida is mind blowing and the blue E.cycas looks great..

And by the way the german shepard & the bull are fentastic..!

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 04 2008,04:46)

Jeff,

Could post #26 possibly be Butia archeri?  I can't imagine you would grow plain old B. campestris. If so, save the seeds as they are very sought after in Calif. Whatever it is, I love the color.

Dick

Dick,

It's the common B. yatay. They don't grow good for us and this one has been very slow.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Sounds like Butia yatay might be happy farther north, on a sand ridge.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd doink this to viz-a-viz with Matty & Paul's trip . . . .

(Oh, cursed be ye batteries of limited life!)

I thought I'd doink this to viz-a-viz with Matty & Paul's trip . . . .

(Oh, cursed be ye batteries of limited life!)

Dave,

What a surprise to see you doink this thread back up. I had alot of fun that day, but seriously, you got to study the names in the palm books more. Lol!!

I need to do a big garden tour of my own yard. Everything is getting so big, tons of new stuff has been added and the palms are looking pretty good now as I type while were experiencing lots of rain this morning.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff- what was #37?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Are you thinking that's one of those R. giant or R. krociana? Looks like it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jeff- what was #37?

Bill,

I really had to think hard to figure out what I was looking at, but based on what the other two leaves in the picture was I realised it was in Palm Circle. That's the Dark Mealy Bug Palm, what we were calling Dypsis ovobontsira.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff- what was #37?

Bill,

I really had to think hard to figure out what I was looking at, but based on what the other two leaves in the picture was I realised it was in Palm Circle. That's the Dark Mealy Bug Palm, what we were calling Dypsis ovobontsira.

Thats what I first thought it was, but I thought the petioles were too long. But its pretty dark back there so it would make sense. Still doin OK?

Jeff- what was #37?

Bill,

Thats what I first thought it was, but I thought the petioles were too long. But its pretty dark back there so it would make sense. Still doin OK?

It was looking pretty awesome in the spring. Still pretty dark back there. :drool:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Git up-a

Git on up-a

Makin' the scene, like a palm machine . . . .

OWWW!

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeff, what is the palm in post 31? Attalea Amydigala? thanks

J

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

J

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

J

Never heard of that one....I think it's just A. cohune.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.