IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cocos nucifera x Borassus flabellifera

cagary

A website is selling seeds for Cocos nucifera x Borassus flabellifera?

Has anyone heard of this cross before?

Here's photo of the palm.

cocosnuciferaxBorassusflabellifera.jpg

Do these species have the same number of chromosomes?  Are the genera even remotely related to be able to produce a hybrid?  Anyone?

How about posting the link to the website, so that I can run it by some coconut genome experts at COGENT?

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Looks like C. nucifera "Spicata".

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Gary,

Sounds like an April 1st joke. With Cocos being pinnate and Borassus palmate, the chances of producing a hybrid are probably as close to nil as you can possibly get!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

That's amazing...and the picture of the fruits is quite interesting indeed because it looks like the bunch has been prunned and although the unripe coconuts look familiar there's something missing in this display (estames). Where was this picture taken? Another mutation maybe?

I have no doubts that in the near future the genetic research will start to produce the most incredible hybrids that we can only think of today. My wife's dream is to cross a coconut tree with a Coke bottle sometime in the future, with the fruits filled with the "real thing" ready to go  :D ...in this way we can both keep our drinking preferences together within the same palm...  :P

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Way too early for April.  

Find a way to get some Bacardi into the nut, and they'd be selling your Coke nuts with drinking straws on every tropical beach in the world...  muito bem!

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

This is total BS and not worthey on this web site. This is an impossible cross, and not nice to get people's hopes up. This is a total sham and BS!!

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I know its sounds like BS, but I'm waiting to hear back from the guy.

I've asked him a few questions about this supposed cross and as soon as he gets back to me, I'll let everyone know his story.

Alright here is his story.

"Yes.....  This hybrid species of Cocos nucifera x Borassus flabellifera happened

naturally . The local people could reconized the different of it so they call them

another name which different from Coconut name, they called " Ma-praew " .

This hybrid happen in a habitat that have B. flabellifera naturally and farmers

start growing coconut garden , so this hybrid happened. But since they are very

few plants arround , I don't know whether it happen one tree only and then

spread out , anyhow now a day there are few coconut gardens who have it

especially the old gardeners , and this information were known in a small

group only.

I know this hybrid from Thai palm book so I start searching for it at many

gardens and many villages and then I could found 2 trees only, one in

Botanic garden and another in one coconut garden. These are all information

that I have."

Anyone want to order seeds?

Hi, Cagary:   Could we have some more photos of this palm?

I agree that production of this claimed hybrid by ordinary means would be unbelievably unlikely.  It might be conceivable it could be produced by modern  biotechnology methods though.  As I say, show us some more photos - what little we see doesn't look like it is 1/2 palmate.  

Best Wishes, merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

(PalmGuyWC @ Nov. 15 2007,16:11)

This is total BS and not worthey on this web site. This is an impossible cross, and not nice to get people's hopes up. This is a total sham and BS!!

Dick

I am BS!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

so its not only a cross that no one has ever heard of  & in most likelihood cannot exist but theres one with 15' + of trunk somewhere...?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I don't know about this, I guess I am a little paranoid when they say they have seeds for sale.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Just wanna add some more information.

"The local people could reconized the different of it so they call them

another name which different from Coconut name, they called " Ma-praew " . "

Ma-Praew is actually a Thai name for a normal coconut. I haven't heard that Hybrid between these 2 is possible for all my life.

Is this seller from Thailand?

Cheers,

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

(rthink @ Nov. 16 2007,04:38)

Just wanna add some more information.

"The local people could reconized the different of it so they call them

another name which different from Coconut name, they called " Ma-praew " . "

Ma-Praew is actually a Thai name for a normal coconut. I haven't heard that Hybrid between these 2 is possible for all my life.

Is this seller from Thailand?

Cheers,

Or some small country called Cameroon.Many growers overthere seem to have any seed your looking for.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I are found grove rare hybridz.  See have fruits too, maybe I can pick.  Local tribesmen throw beer bottles at me last time try, but maybe I go again for good money.

palmtreebar.jpg

Seriously though, you could always shoot an email to Monsanto.  If they can't do it, nobody can.

Monsanto

rthink,

The website is in Thailand; its palmseeds.net. The guy's name is Dan.

He sent me some different kinds of Areca seeds and they arrived quickly without any problems. Some were already germinating.

Do you know him (or of him)?

Exactly what would it take to see what these seeds really are?

Thanks!

cagary,

Yes..I talked to him a couple of times before.  He's a collector in the southern part of Thailand. I just saw he posted this species on his website. He said the inflorescense is more like Borassus. But I believe it's just a variety of C. nucifera or an unusual one, not a hybrid.

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

(bgl @ Nov. 15 2007,02:10)

Gary,

Sounds like an April 1st joke. With Cocos being pinnate and Borassus palmate, the chances of producing a hybrid are probably as close to nil as you can possibly get!

Bo-Göran

Even i second this statement !

Since most of our forum memebrs had once joked telling that kris will love to have a hybrid from a CIDP & Corypha in his garden... :) though i would love that hybrid.but i still can understand that a cross between a feather palm with a fan palm is not possible.

But as i always say there are certain Agro_Scientist around

the globe who are experimenting with genetic engenerring with animals & plants.one such neat example will be the verigated species filling the market these days.

Only time can say what these bio-techonologiest upto.since this will come under condemnation from all quaters,i think these are done in low profile & discreately..

Since if some one could cross corypha(Talipot with Lecomtei) and give the young sapling to me..it will be a dream come true.

or a cocous nucifera X CIDP..that is coconuts growing in a phoenix palm..

Jubea X CIDP or Oil Palm X CIDP...

they will all be lovely to see !  :)

thanks for reading my nonsence,but truely that's my loved hybrid combination.

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 6 years later...

Hybrids between a feather palm and a fan palm are impossible ( at least without advanced genetic engineering ).

They are genetically too different. And hybrid like that can not happen naturally.

So this is fake.

Considering the length of time which has lapsed, if this was a legitimate hybrid - there is no way it could have been propagated unnoticed by the palm community on this forum.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B