IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attack of the Mutant Palm Trees!!!!

www.dadluvsu.com

Ok...  Who's got photos of palm mutations...  I was riding my bicycle through the neighborhood last night and spotted a double headed Sable Palm...   Made me think of the picture I took of the 3 headed Bottle at Montgomery...

Anyone have some good mutant pictures they can post?!?!?!!

DSC00275.jpg

I'll get a pic of that Sable tonight.

• Upvote 1

00377_0.jpg

Borassus flabellifer Distichous leaf form

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Weird stuff.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(redvdox @ Feb. 27 2007,08:10)

00377_0.jpg

Borassus flabellifer Distichous leaf form

I cannot get my mind around that .

It looks like something from a George Lucas movie .

WOW

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

What about the spiral cocos?

spiral.jpg

Look closely

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Downtown Hilo,HI, had a spiral trunk coconut near the waterfront and the Wailuku River, but the parks dept or someone decided it was odd and therefore must be chopped down!  What a loss!

garrin in hawaii

Branched5_edited.jpg

One of many (30+) branched King Palms at Helga's Nursery-Julatten, Queensland

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

I have to see if I can get a picture of a multiheaded queen palm I saw a couple of blocks away from me.

Brevard County, Fl

Here's a spiral trunk Coconut growing in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island.  Although I had posted this pic some time ago in another thread, I thought it worthy of showing it again.

post-90-1172782078_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Here's a Coccothrinax boschiana in habitat in the Dominican Republic.  Notice how the trunk arches way over then grows out horizontally with minimal leaves.  Must be a super old tree.

post-90-1172795047_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 1 year later...
Here's a spiral trunk Coconut growing in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island.  Although I had posted this pic some time ago in another thread, I thought it worthy of showing it again.

Washies sometimes do that, too.

There are (or were) some at LA Arboretum in Arcadia that did that.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

richnorm,

Can you please upload a pic f yur hedyscepe?

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

I wonder if the seeds from those disticous fan palms produce the same kind of offspring? Hmmmm

I was just wondering the same thing... the borassus towards the top is probably the most awesome palm picture I have ever seen, and now there's a bizzie doing the same thing, in FL! That is so cool, I wonder how often that happens and if it is apparent at an earlier stage (presumably yes).

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

check out the million dollar coco!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7358713.stm

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 7 years later...

At Kanapaha Gardenes in Gainesville, there was a 5 trunked Sabal palmetto. Although apparently in hurricane Frances, 4 of the trunks broke off, and the remaining one is kind of damaged at the base, though still looking healthy.