• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mike Evans Garden Visit

DALION

I want to first of all thank MIke Evans for allowing me and my family to tour his garden. I will also like to thank Mike for ALLOWING me to outbid him on a couple Foxy Lady palms (sorry Mike). Here are a few pictures of the garden. This has got to be the best garden I have visited. It is an amazing yard with great plants.

Let's start with a palm that needs no introduction:

post-1262-045064500 1333409479_thumb.jpg

Don't you just want to hug this teddy bear?

post-1262-019452500 1333409525_thumb.jpg

Varigated palms anyone?

post-1262-098577400 1333409534_thumb.jpg

Who knew that Aiphanes minima could handle the cold weather of St. Pete. Maybe it's hardier than people think.

post-1262-091078300 1333409542_thumb.jpg

What a nice Dypsis!

post-1262-077554900 1333409459_thumb.jpg

I love the garden art.

post-1262-088119400 1333409499_thumb.jpg post-1262-016218500 1333409488_thumb.jpg

Don't remember what this palm was but he said it was slower than a snail with an achor.

post-1262-072157000 1333409517_thumb.jpg

Here is a flowering Wallichia distichia.

post-1262-073306200 1333409472_thumb.jpg

Here is another very mature palm just hanging out in the middle.

post-1262-028881400 1333410724_thumb.jpg

Impressive! (I was REALLY impressed when i thought it was in So Cal based on your signature...)

Glad you mentioned it was St. Pete. as I don't know Mr. Evans... :hmm:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

You wouldnt know Saint Pete has alot of warm microclimates. Look at Sunken Gardens on 4th Street. 110 year old Royal Palms. Some of the best looking ones in Florida. I am not surprised to see those palms growing there.

That's true, but over the years they didn't hesitate to light the grove heaters on the worst nights.

You wouldnt know Saint Pete has alot of warm microclimates. Look at Sunken Gardens on 4th Street. 110 year old Royal Palms. Some of the best looking ones in Florida. I am not surprised to see those palms growing there.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

The slow palm u mention looks like l.spinosa, to me.

Thanks for the great pix!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Leo, nice meeting you & your family. Glad you could make it to our FL Palm meeting. Its tough to bid against a CA person in an auction.

I see no Aiphanes in the photos, but that spikey palm is a Cuban belly palm--Acrocomia crispa. They are pretty hardy.

Leo, nice meeting you & your family. Glad you could make it to our FL Palm meeting. Its tough to bid against a CA person in an auction.

Mike, thanks for not bidding more. I think I would have gone up more just to have a couple in the collection but thanks again for making it an exciting visit. I will look you up on my next Tampa visit to buy more palms.

Really nice garden! I especially like the variety on display in the 6th photo, "garden art". It's always a treat to take a walk in a mature palm garden. Thanks for the photos.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.