• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring Meeting March 31

Palmateer

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society

CFPACS Spring meeting will be on Saturday, March 31 in St. Petersburg.

First stop 10 am at the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum. Lunch on your own at noon,

then on to Mike and Marjorie Evans' garden for palm auction and sale.

Save the date!

Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum - St Pete:

www.surfsinn.com

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

I hope you get a great turn out and good weather. There's certainly many good collectors up your way that have proven that many,many species can grow in the area. Please post some pictures afterwards.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff for the good wishes!

You know I'll be the official St.Pete "PRA" *TRADEMARKED* photographer for this one! LOL.

This Saturday. If you are there knock me over the head and introduce yourself. I was in St.Pete last weekend for the Grand Prix Indy car race. I couldn't get to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum as the race track had it blocked off.

I'm not too thrilled to drive across the State back-to-back weekends but it is worth the drive. There won't be any Bayhill Golf Tourny traffic like there was last weekend between Orlando and Tampa so hopefully it is smooth sailing.

For the others making the drive...drive safely!

A good map is on that other thread linked above.

Who all from the Forum is planing on going? This will be the first palm meeting that I have gone to and will be glad to meet many of you for the first time. I have never been to Kopsick & I am really excited. I have been to Mike's many times & always look forward to going over to his beautiful place.

Wayne

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

I plan on being there. I have not seen Kopsick in years and have never seen Mike and Marjorie's garden. Looking forward to it.

Brad

I plan on being there. I have not seen Kopsick in years and have never seen Mike and Marjorie's garden. Looking forward to it.

Brad

Hey Brad,

Your Dad and Dent Smith visited Kopsick in November of 1982

1982mayuadenttom.jpg

Tom

I probably won't make it up there in time for Kopsick, but will be at the Evans'. See you there!

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

Tom

Some of those who turned out this morning to visit the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum in St. Petersburg. They were the core members, and they came from far and wide across the State, despite high gas prices. The Arboretum was in top condition. If you couldn't make this event, stop by when you can (there's never an admission charge).

2012mar31kopsickdsc167.jpg

Tom

Meeting started at 10pm and we were a little late getting there. St.Pete beach was bustling with life. A major swim meet and 5K run was going on simultanesouly (don't expect good spelling early Sunday morning). Parking was tight.

I was amazed to see how many people are up and about. I'm not use to life in a bigger city! Its a lil' slower over here on the East Coast (thankfully).

Another plus of going to St.Pete are the restaurants and museums. Last weekend we we went to the Florida Holocaust museum and the famous Salvador Dali' museum just moved

to a new building. In other words...there is a ton of stuff to do in the St.Pete/Tampa area.

post-147-092506800 1333281422_thumb.jpg

Some of those who turned out this morning to visit the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum in St. Petersburg. They were the core members, and they came from far and wide across the State, despite high gas prices. The Arboretum was in top condition. If you couldn't make this event, stop by when you can (there's never an admission charge).

2012mar31kopsickdsc167.jpg

Hey - there is Phil Stager with the shorts and flip flops. He has an amazing garden in the St. Pete area! :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Which way to go?

post-147-081308000 1333283120_thumb.jpg

Cycad and Amy.

post-147-075830900 1333283123_thumb.jpg

These photos are in chronological order and we haven't caught up with the group yet.

Walking through the palm garden was really pretty and there are some amazing specimens there.

post-147-082327700 1333283127_thumb.jpg

Sorry if I don't attach a name to every plant. Ask if you want more info.

post-147-063034500 1333283130_thumb.jpg

Inbetween meeting spots we ate a great lunch in downtown St.Pete. Here is a random photo of St.Pete. It is an older city and is pretty and palms are throughout.

post-147-060416600 1333369514_thumb.jpg

The 2nd stop was 11 miles away at Mike's house. I'll post more photos later tonight (monday).

post-147-048326600 1333369517_thumb.jpg

Looks like it was a good meeting !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks again Eric and Leu Gardens for donating the auction plants. They were a big hit!

Here are some other photo threads of event:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=32472

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=32444

Also, if anyone needs it to rain at their home then host a CFPACS meeting....This is the 2nd one in a row where we got rained on!

Hosting a CFPACS meeting may be more of a guarantee for rain than washing/waxing your car, leaving the windows down, and/or, hanging clothes out to dry.

Not too many people complained about the rain, other than maybe the treasurer who had to count the wet money received... LOL...

Thanks for all the photos and participation. It was a fun event.