IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Puya Berteroana - How do you care for this plant?

Gbarce

I have a Puya Beteroana that has so far survived here in the tropics.

I guess I am luck with this one -- this is not really adapted for the tropics.

I would appreciate any tips anyone could give about caring for this bromeliad.

Sun exposure, fertilizing, atering, soil mix, etc...

post-1017-091858400 1326976244_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I am thinking of repotting it but what soil mix should I use?

So far I have used pure fern chips for its media. This is the same material I use for large tillandsia, and neoregelias. So far it is doing ok but I understand that this is a terrestrial bromeliad so I am guessing that a soild based medium would suit it better.

But I don't want to make a mistake and kill it.

post-1017-042375900 1326976456_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Gene,

I do not have P. berteroana, but I have an P. alpestris that I has been doing well for me for several years, with no signs of rot or damage from humidity or cold (down into the teens F) for the past two years. Plant has seen a noticeable increase in growth once it was planted out. It was potted in a store bought cactus mix amended with sand. It is now planted in a raised bed in my very sandy soil with out any ammending for drainage. It gets fertilized twice a year with palm fert. In the summer it is common for us to see days in the mid to upper 90s with humidity at 80-100%. Hopefully it will decide to flower soon. Need to find a few more of these as medium sized plants as I don't think I have the patience to grow these from seed.

I've heard of folks growing P. berternoana in the UK (obviously not as hot as your conditions) and in Florida so I think it should do OK for you in a sunny well drained bed.

From what I have read, P. berteroana is closely related to alpestris.

I would like to add a few more Puya species (including more alpestris) to the yard as it would be nice to get regular blooms (assuming that it will bloom for me). We get several hummingbirds in the yard and I've heard that Puya blooms are hummingbird magnets.

Good luck.

My Puya at the bottom of the pic. Supposedly they flower after about 6-8 years so mine should be getting ready to pop.

post-526-080664700 1326990428_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Gene, they thrive here in coastal California, where our climate is much closer to what they would experience in habitat. They aren't particularly fussy about soil type locally, even doing well planted in clay loam soils. I would think that a gritty mix for superb drainage, and probably growing it in the coolest location you can give it would be the best. Hot tropical nights and summer rains leading to rot would be my main concern. Do you get much cooling off at night compared to day time temps at your location? A breezy spot with good air circulation would probably be helpful, and perhaps growing under shade cloth to keep them a bit cooler in summer? They do best with full sun here, but we have a coolish marine influenced Mediterranean climate that seldom dips below 25F or stays above 80F for any length of time, and summer nights are typically only in the mid 50'sF, which is also what our day time winter temps often average at the coolest. If it does survive for you, be prepared to deal with a mammoth growing clump that can easily get 8 feet across with age. If you are keeping this in a pot longer term, it's been my experience that they want larger sized containers similar to Dyckia's if you want them to get larger faster. Small root runs tends to keep them dwarfed.

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of information I need.

Tank- its good to know that they can survive in Florida. I am pretty sure your climate is still cooler than ours but I think you guys still have rain and humidity that approximates the tropics. Not sure where you are in Florida but I have been to Miami and it kind of approximates the conditions we have here in my country. I have been told to treat this like a cactus so i just keep it in a shade house with a transparent roof so it is protected from the constant rain during the rainy season. I don't want to risk planting it in the ground for now.

Bahia - nice to hear they are not choosy with their soil. But I will still keep it as free draining as possible. I'll pot these in oversized pots and see what happens.

Thanks!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

I do not have P. berteroana, but I have an P. alpestris that I has been doing well for me for several years, with no signs of rot or damage from humidity or cold (down into the teens F) for the past two years. Plant has seen a noticeable increase in growth once it was planted out. It was potted in a store bought cactus mix amended with sand. It is now planted in a raised bed in my very sandy soil with out any ammending for drainage. It gets fertilized twice a year with palm fert. In the summer it is common for us to see days in the mid to upper 90s with humidity at 80-100%. Hopefully it will decide to flower soon. Need to find a few more of these as medium sized plants as I don't think I have the patience to grow these from seed.

I've heard of folks growing P. berternoana in the UK (obviously not as hot as your conditions) and in Florida so I think it should do OK for you in a sunny well drained bed.

I would like to add a few more Puya species (including more alpestris) to the yard as it would be nice to get regular blooms (assuming that it will bloom for me). We get several hummingbirds in the yard and I've heard that Puya blooms are hummingbird magnets.

Good luck.

My Puya at the bottom of the pic. Supposedly they flower after about 6-8 years so mine should be getting ready to pop.

I believe yours has at least a 3-4 years to go. All the flowering ones that I have seen are about 3 feet tall. Mine was like that a some years ago. It is now a 3 headed monster at 2 ft tall with no flower yet.

Gene,

If you have more than one plant, I would definitely put one out and see how it handles your conditions. I was worried about my alpestris when I first got it but it surprised me and tolerated our very wet/humid summers.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yup I have more than one seedling. But when they were small they rotted one after the other during the rainy season where we would get continuous rains for about a week. Ill probably do it when they get a lot bigger so if one does rot it is still big enough to produce a replacement pup or too.

It would be a dream to let this loose here and it thrives.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

Good luck.

I believe yours has at least a 3-4 years to go. All the flowering ones that I have seen are about 3 feet tall. Mine was like that a some years ago. It is now a 3 headed monster at 2 ft tall with no flower yet.

Wow, if this is the case than I definitely should have planted more of these. Mine hasn't produced any pups.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I placed these it beside this planter where a lot of my arid plants seem to be doing well.

I also placed the Aloe Dichotoma that seems to be suffering from the rains we have been getting

post-1017-015699800 1327368464_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines