IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World's most cold hardy Coconut

Gileno Machado

Imagine my surprise to see a fruiting Cocos nucifera a few weeks ago, at Alberto's house in Carambeí, Paraná, South Brazil.

His place is located in the second tableland of Paraná's central highland, at 1100 m high altitude, and they experience several frosts every winter there, with subzero temperatures. Take a look at this beauty:

Thanks again Alberto, Nelly and kids, for the royal treatment we had at your place...I'll be posting some pictures of his amazing garden soon, and also from the magnificent places we've visited in his region.

Oops, and also the coconut water from those fruits was soooooo sweet... :winkie:

post-157-086597500 1326732588_thumb.jpg

post-157-015062800 1326732616_thumb.jpg

post-157-011831300 1326732646_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Wait a minute!!!!!!! I don't think so Gileno. It looks like you just put a coconut bunch on a Parajubaea toralyi. :rolleyes: Nice try shifty! :o

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Wow! They have a loverly bunch of coconuts. Ummmm. Maybe they have a Cyrtostachys in the backyard.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Ok, what gives? I'm with Matty.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

As I was reading this I was thinking, 'are you serious?' Well.........you've been planning this one, dragging those coconuts with you.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

He put them on the goat too and posted a pic in the big balls forum.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Each of this superior frost hardy coconuts seeds must be very valuable!!!!

I´m so proud of my Cocos nucifera var.Antartida...;-)

It was a pleasure to host you,Barbara and Beatriz and I hope you enjoyed the visit to Carambeí and region.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

AND YES,my Cyrtostachys renda is also from a superior variety. Besides the red crownshaft, the leaves also turn a beautifull brown collor in the fall! ;-)

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

WHERE!!!???!!! Can I get this cold hardy variety!!!??? Hopefully if I just keep germinating seeds from the grocery store in my bath tub, one will work out and be this type.

drool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

Oh, and just in case...

drool.gif

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I'm afraid that my Cocos alberto might be the only palm still alive in my garden tomorrow morning when I wake up to a 23F freeze.

Wait a minute!!!!!!! I don't think so Gileno. It looks like you just put a coconut bunch on a Parajubaea toralyi. :rolleyes: Nice try shifty! :o

Dang...I knew MattyB was going to spoil the fun...but it took him only 9 minutes?? :D

Alberto actually tried to impress me and he had bought this green coconut bunch (imported from the Northeast) at his local supermarket and tied it to his Parajubaea sunkha trunk just before my arrival...I had quite a surprise at first, but then, still from the distance, I realized the leaves were rather small and the petioles were in fact too narrow...and also the peduncle was missing (is it a cross with Areca ipot? hehe...). Next time he visits me I'll have to fix him a grove of Jubaeas on the beach, maybe also a Ceroxylon quindio with a long trunk of bamboo... :D:mrlooney:

...but then, nevertheless, he also had a nice Johannesteijsmannia altifrons !!! growing inside, by the fireplace, of course... :D:D

post-157-003087000 1326804967_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

What a great story guys! Enjoyed it.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Greetings, Gileno !

Several years ago I was working in my small front garden adjacent to the public sidewalk. Two elderly Phillipina ladies approached and complimented me about my 'coconut'. I said 'thanks, but this palm is from the mountains of South America'. The response, with arched eyebrows, was 'Young man, we know coconuts, as we have so many back home in Manila'.

Ever since that incident I have wanted follow your example!

San Francisco, California

Nice P sunkha by the way :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

This was too funny... had to take a second look!

Do we know what kind of extreme cold temperatures this parajub has seen???? Would love to know more about the palm, it's gorgeous!!!!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Since it was planted it never saw very extreme cold conditions because it´s close to the house and protected from southern winds

Last winter it was colder and the three, 7 years old Chamardorea plumosa growing near to it, where transformed to mush and I cut the stumps a few weeks ago.

Since it was planted it never saw very extreme cold conditions because it´s close to the house and protected from southern winds

Last winter it was colder and the three, 7 years old Chamardorea plumosa growing near to it, where transformed to mush and I cut the stumps a few weeks ago.

Alberto,

How much cold did you get last year? was it below -6 C ? Did the Lytocareums survive that cold ?

Best wishes,

Ed

I´ve seen -6ºC here since i planted out a bunch of Lytocarium weddelianum seedlings from wich 4 survived below the dense canopy inside the araucaria forest and are fruiting now for a few years.

I´planted out 4 bigger L.hoehnei that comes from colder habitat and have also 2 seedlings of L.insigne that must be also hardier than L.wedellianum because of the higher altitude it comes from.

Alberto ,

Thanks so much I ask as I left a seedling L. hoenie out just a week ago in a -4C freeze --- out in the open -- seedlign from Floribunda in Hawaii--- no apparent damage

I am in 9A decidely (right on the boundary with 9B -- but we some 8a and 7b freezes over the 1980's decade

Best regards

Ed

Alberto ,

Thanks so much I ask as I left a seedling L. hoenie out just a week ago in a -4C freeze --- out in the open -- seedlign from Floribunda in Hawaii--- no apparent damage

I am in 9A decidely (right on the boundary with 9B -- but we some 8a and 7b freezes over the 1980's decade

Best regards

Ed

I actually have L. Weddelianum outside in Ocala with no protection in the '10 freeze and other than some brown tipping it was fine. It seems to like being pushed right up against some old oaks in very well draining soil.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Greetings, Gileno !

Several years ago I was working in my small front garden adjacent to the public sidewalk. Two elderly Phillipina ladies approached and complimented me about my 'coconut'. I said 'thanks, but this palm is from the mountains of South America'. The response, with arched eyebrows, was 'Young man, we know coconuts, as we have so many back home in Manila'.

Ever since that incident I have wanted follow your example!

Yes,I remember when you told this the first time in this forum!rolleyes.gif

Alberto ,

Best regards

Ed

I actually have L. Weddelianum outside in Ocala with no protection in the '10 freeze and other than some brown tipping it was fine. It seems to like being pushed right up against some old oaks in very well draining soil.

-Krishna

L.weddelianum are hardier than you would supose for a palm comming from southeast Brazil (highlands of Rio de Janeiro)

• 8 years later...