IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rapid Germination of Rhapidophyllum hystrix Seed

tjwalters

I never had much success with germinating Rhapidophyllum hystrixt until last year, when I tried a new method. This method works best if the seeds are slightly dehydrated so that endosperm has separated from the seed wall. I generally don't harvest seed until early winter (January, USDA zone 7a), and by the time I get to them they are already partially dehydrated.

1. Clean the lovely-smelling pulp from the seeds. You'll want to wear gloves as the pulp smells like baby's vomit (or parmesan cheese - same smell) and the smell will linger on your skin for quite a while.

Clean seeds:

Germination-01.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

3. Proper use of the tool is important. Make sure you position the seed in the business end of the pliers and not in the handle. :) After properly positioning the seed in the pliers, gently apply pressure until an audible crack is heard.

Proper pliers/seed relationship:

Germination-03.jpg

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

4. After a crack is heard, remove the seed from the pliers and inspect. There should be visible a crack somewhere in the shell.

Cracked shell:

Germination-04.jpg

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

5. Attack the crack! Start chipping away at the shell, removing as much as possible. The more dehydrated the seed, the easier the shell will be to peel away.

Removed shell:

Germination-05.jpg

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

8. The final product - shell-less seeds that are ready for any germination method you prefer. I've been using the baggy method exclusively with much success. After using this treatment last year I had seeds germinating in only a few weeks! Hopefully I will get the same results this year.

Shell-less seeds ready for planting and rapid germination:

Germination-08.jpg

• Like 1

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

thanks for sharing and you take great pictures!:rolleyes:

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

Very interesting, Tom... and great closeup photos. Please post followup photos when they begin to germinate.

Jody

I'm planning on it. Photos were taken with my cellphone (Droid X). :)

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Rhapidophyllum/hystrix.html

in Naples Botanic Garden

There are many Rhapidophyllum hystrix, the seeds germinate easily in 2 / 3 months

I never had any luck until trying this. Not something I read anywhere - rather something I just experimented with. I had germination in 2-3 weeks, not 2-3 months. I've seen a lot of references indicating germination can take up to a year or more. Seems folks in hot, humid areas have much better luck with out really trying. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

Interesting post, Tom. Several years ago I was given a couple dozen needle palm seeds. Two came up in a couple months, 1 more a year later. I've read that they seed and germinate very sporadically. Your method seems to up the odds.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I wonder if in days of old, i.e. pre- Columbus if there was an animal or some other sort of catalyst that facilitated this same sort of cracking effect?

The only native thing to North America that I can think of that is large enough to crack a seed like this would be buffalo- but that's totally the wrong area for either of these species... Maybe deer?

Any thoughts anyone?

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Im wondering if this method has been used with Acrocomia intumescens (beautiful selection of this palm). I cracked one for an experiment the nut or endosperm fell out whole not attached to the shell. I then sand papered down the tip until I could see the embryo. Sterilised and placed in most sterilized sand in a sterilised clip box putting it on a bench heating mat. The embryo swelled forth happily unfortunately I opened the sterile container to get a better view as the condensation was making it difficult to see and sadly it immediately began rotting.

So Im wondering if I crack some more and just plant the edosperm with seed coat undamaged if this would work for this notoriously difficult palm seed. They cost good money so Im loath to do too much experimentation.

I wish sellers of this seed would sell it already 2 or 3 years old (not sure precisely) because the natural dormancy period of the seed is well known.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

I wonder if in days of old, i.e. pre- Columbus if there was an animal or some other sort of catalyst that facilitated this same sort of cracking effect?

The only native thing to North America that I can think of that is large enough to crack a seed like this would be buffalo- but that's totally the wrong area for either of these species... Maybe deer?

Any thoughts anyone?

Here is a link to some wild (but intriguing and fun) speculation about the distribution of R. hystrix.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Coldhardypalms/curious.html

"Some people speculate that the Giant Ground Sloth was one of the creatures for which Needle Palms fruit was intended."

Thanks Tom for these great pics and a new method, I too have been frustrated trying to germinate seeds with the shell still on.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 4 weeks later...

The "shelless seed" looks a lot like a nice plump Phoenix seed, does it rapidly absorbe water like a phoenix seed.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post a quick update:

Of the original seeds I planted, I still have only two that have germinated. I did not soak these in water before bagging them up. However, I took another batch of seeds, treating them as above, but also soaked them for several days - changing the water daily. I bagged those up on February 20. One had already germinated in the water. Of this batch, I am getting much better germination. So good, in fact, that I did not want to disturb the soil in the bags so was not able to count how many had already germinated. I guess I need to add that last step (soak in water for several days) to the instructions. :lol:

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

The "shelless seed" looks a lot like a nice plump Phoenix seed, does it rapidly absorbe water like a phoenix seed.

Yes - I soaked another batch for a few days (didn't soak the first batch) and one actually germinated while soaking. :)

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

• 3 months later...

Hi Tom, here is picture of r.hystrix seed that you send me 2 months after sowing

120320121279.jpg

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

I had a hundred seeds, a few germinated the first year, most the rest waited 2-3 more years and they all started germinating late this spring. I just like to wait most the time for the seed. I had some breaha clara 'icy blue' for 1-2 years with out 1 germination and i decided to take a grinder and just make a small hole for each seed, I got almost 100% germination shortly after.

Any thoughts anyone?

Actually, spanish accounts of Florida in the 1400's indicated large bison herds. They were all gone by 1700 though

http://www.staynplay.net/florida-wildlife/animals/bison/american-bison.htm

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 1 year later...

First of all, thanks to Cypalms for the interesting article.

Now as for the enigmas.....

There are theories that in Central America and Mexico ( maybe in North America) the presence of large sloths ( larger than present day bears) could explain how certain fruits species may have evolved to depend for dispersion on these animals.

The present day avocadoes, (and also others, lesser known in North America, such as the sonzapote, zapote, mamey, etc...) plus the large fruits on certain palms(Attalea) may have been eaten , digested-transported, and dispersed by those giant sloths.

Some of these fruits and seeds could not be digested by present-day forest dwelling animals,precluded by the sheer size of those seeds..

I love the needle palm and I hope methods like these make them more prevalent in the landscape. Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have some needle palm seeds, but I'm not sure how to remove the seeds and I cannot see the pictures in the forum, would you be able to repost the pictures please? Thanks, David

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2017, 6:20:52, Davidross said:

Hi, I have some needle palm seeds, but I'm not sure how to remove the seeds and I cannot see the pictures in the forum, would you be able to repost the pictures please? Thanks, David

Sorry.  Didn't realize the photos had disappeared.  I've also posted this to my hardiestpalms.com web site: http://hardiestpalms.com/RhystrixGermination.htm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

On 1/15/2012, 4:56:14, Patrick said:

Any thoughts anyone?

Actually, buffalo might have been the vector. While we imagine them as denizens of the open plains, bison can also live in or near forests. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_bison

It's also possible animals like ground sloths might have done some spreading too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I germinate Needle Palm Seeds by cracking the shell too and basically putting them in a bag of mud. It took so long though, but once they germinate the seedlings took off.

PalmTreeDude