IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera and friends

Walter John

Hi coconut growers and coconut droolers, those who would like to grow them, :winkie: kiss my nuciferas baby :lol: . I have two coconut juveniles growing and I purposely planted them in locations to capture those short lived winter sun rays. It seems to be working so far, and with another approaching cold season, I thought I'd photograph them before they go into battle. You never know, they might have to endure cold and wet in winter :angry:

One of these was picked up from the beach at Mission Beach, North Queensland late 2009 on our last ratpack adventure, boy are we late for anothery. I managed to find a pic of it to show how far it is come.

Here it is after collection, just a sprouter with a root at the back which I actually cut soon after this photo was taken.

post-51-025964000 1305453914_thumb.jpg

Here it is today approx 19 months later. There hasn't been the heat it prefers in that time so it's not setting any records at all, maybe for slowness.

post-51-012715300 1305454296_thumb.jpg

post-51-083189000 1305454316_thumb.jpg

post-51-091082600 1305454276_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

And here's my other Cocos nucifera, a free gift from my local nurseryman, this was also collected as a sprouter from a North Queensland beach in early 2010. It has light green petioles whilst the other has gold or yellow.

Sorry about the glare from the ratpack shirt, as soon as I put one of those shirts on I become saintly and angelic, it's a byproduct of being a ratpacker I suppose. :D

post-51-008847400 1305455038_thumb.jpg

post-51-045812500 1305454997_thumb.jpg

From the other side notice the angled autumn to winter sun coming in to the zone.

post-51-003586900 1305454976_thumb.jpg

post-51-087356300 1305455015_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's another palm or two ready to gather more heat from low angled seasonal sun and at the same time remaining lightly canopied (can I use that term ?). :unsure:

Johannesteijsmannia lanceolata and a few friends, that's a red leaf on a Welfia you can see hither

post-51-035661900 1305455577_thumb.jpg

and dither

post-51-032344100 1305455595_thumb.jpg

The Licuala dasyantha opened a new leaf recently, I hope the heat is absorbed here as well.

post-51-047023500 1305455557_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's another palm or two ready to gather more heat from low angled seasonal sun and at the same time remaining lightly canopied (can I use that term ?). :unsure:

Johannesteijsmannia lanceolata and a few friends, that's a red leaf on a Welfia you can see hither

post-51-035661900 1305455577_thumb.jpg

and dither

post-51-032344100 1305455595_thumb.jpg

The Licuala dasyantha opened a new leaf recently, I hope the heat is absorbed here as well.

post-51-047023500 1305455557_thumb.jpg

Good stuff Wal, Lic Dasyantha doesnt mind the cool at all ours are in a dark cold spot of the garden and they both crank. (Both looked Great for the last 10 years),i reckon Troy would have No trouble with this stunner in Tasmania. Pete

Wal, last year I picked up a few coconuts from Tannum Sands Beach......Got most to germinate but don't have any room for them (I already have 6 in the garden)....these might end up back down on the beach with their parents....... A couple of weeks ago I went to the Calliope Markets and there was a pile of coconuts against a fence, I found a few sprouted so I brought them home too.......I just can't help myself !!!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Very good Wal. I see I'm not the only one fussing over coconuts as winter approaches. I love them but will only ever have one here, and then this one I have will only survive if I care for it and have a lot of luck. Keep us updated on how they progress, and I hope they fruit and grow profusely for you.

Peter, L dasyantha doesn't mind the cool and worth a try in Tassie eh. HMMMMMMMM. Have to find this one. Another palm to add to my wanted list. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Cool. My coconuts are inside the greenhouse and seem to be doing fine. I doubt they'll ever go outside except in summer. Just needs a 10m (or higher) roof on the greenhouse!

Going to collect a few when in Cairns in the not too distant future. Also trying to germinate a few store bought, dehusked babies for a laugh right now.

Brian - Mernda, Victoria, Australia - 37° 36′ 32.4″ S, 145° 5′ 34.8″ E

Melbourne has a moderate oceanic climate (Köppen climate classification Cfb) - High: 46.4 (115.5), low: -2.8 (27)

94868.gif

Get a ripe coconut (no milk, shake to be sure) dehusking is not a problem. I'll get some coconuts from the northern most groves in western Mexico near Guaymas. See pic. They fruit there and also a bit further north at Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and Bahia Kino. Those from these groves may prove just a bit more tolerant of conditions in Southern California.

post-528-006366400 1305669856_thumb.jpg

Brian Bruning

• 2 months later...

Coco Bonsai, you little bonsai's are amazing. If I had one of them I think I would name the palm "Yoda". :D

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

need only small space to grow this for more than 10 years.......... :)

Is it strange that I feel sorry for the little deprived thing?

I have to agree......set the poor little critter free..... :blink:

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Hi coconut growers and coconut droolers, those who would like to grow them, :winkie: kiss my nuciferas baby :lol: . I have two coconut juveniles growing and I purposely planted them in locations to capture those short lived winter sun rays. It seems to be working so far, and with another approaching cold season, I thought I'd photograph them before they go into battle. You never know, they might have to endure cold and wet in winter :angry:

One of these was picked up from the beach at Mission Beach, North Queensland late 2009 on our last ratpack adventure, boy are we late for anothery. I managed to find a pic of it to show how far it is come.

Here it is after collection, just a sprouter with a root at the back which I actually cut soon after this photo was taken.

post-51-025964000 1305453914_thumb.jpg

Here it is today approx 19 months later. There hasn't been the heat it prefers in that time so it's not setting any records at all, maybe for slowness.

post-51-012715300 1305454296_thumb.jpg

post-51-083189000 1305454316_thumb.jpg

post-51-091082600 1305454276_thumb.jpg

Sorry Wal, but for slowness-records in relation to growing Cocos nucifera, you have to live in Holland. This baby is two years old!. Still a nice plant.

Wim.

post-5270-086159700 1313312685_thumb.jpe

Coco Bonsai, you little bonsai's are amazing. If I had one of them I think I would name the palm "Yoda". :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

"Yoda" is a cool name... haha... :D

yeah.. this is for coconut tree lover that has no space enough to grow coconut tree as usual....... so it was maintain as bonsai tree... :rolleyes:

see the other

post-6033-000855300 1313351306_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

My very own 'Double Coconut'!

Ok, so it isn't Lodoicea maldivica.......I wish!

However, my intent is to grow this little beauty to maturity and string

a hammock between the two trunks where I intend to spend many

a lazy day, observing the remainder of my palm collection :D

post-6682-036072500 1334988246_thumb.jpg

post-6682-091322200 1334988258_thumb.jpg

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

Good luck Wal those are looking pretty good, either hither or dither.

The bonsai coconuts are pretty amazing, I think it's pretty cool.

Verena, that's almost like Audrey in 'The Little Shop of Horrors.' FEED ME! That is one healthy coconut for being inside. Quite the conversation piece.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The yellow coconut in post # 1 didn't make it, I haved added two more.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

They look good Wal.

I don't know how fast they grow in the tropics although I did sprout some in FNQ but never paid much attention to them (as you do when they are abundant!)