IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyphaene coriacea Branching

freakypalmguy

Not too exciting, but I just noticed both of my H. coriacea are starting to branch. I didn't think they divided this early. This plant has been in the ground 3 years from a one gallon that had two plants in the same container.

Has anyone else had theirs branch this early? Let see pictures, even if unbranched?

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I don't have H. coriacea but did plant an H. thebaica in fall 2008. I don't have recent photos but here are ones I took in early 09. It had already branched at ground level. Both trunks were about the same size. It's since grown much larger but still has twin trunks.

Hyphaene thebaica in pot - 2009

post-1349-001238000 1286668873_thumb.jpg

Branched trunks

post-1349-005435900 1286668901_thumb.jpg

Petioles

post-1349-069320000 1286668924_thumb.jpg

Planted

post-1349-006808600 1286669084_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have one hyphanae, identified as coriacea by a forum member some time ago. It grows notoriously slow.

post-4418-050400400 1286688175_thumb.jpg

post-4418-087306300 1286688209_thumb.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Not too exciting, but I just noticed both of my H. coriacea are starting to branch. I didn't think they divided this early. This plant has been in the ground 3 years from a one gallon that had two plants in the same container.

Has anyone else had theirs branch this early? Let see pictures, even if unbranched?

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

Cool palm! I saw huge ones in West Palm beach a couple of years ago. I bought a small one in a 4 inch pot and I planted it. The first winter killed it at 28 f.

Ofcourse it may still have been recovering fron transplant shock at the time of the cold weather. I might give it another try.

Whats the coldest it can handle and still recover?

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Hyphaene must be the best documented palm in my garden for some reason

Seed collected in 1996 in Calcutta BG

Planted out in 1999

Started to split in 2002

post-37-019551200 1286694533_thumb.jpg

post-37-051528800 1286694548_thumb.jpg

post-37-055905300 1286694690_thumb.jpg

post-37-063515300 1286694728_thumb.jpg

post-37-040239800 1286694759_thumb.jpg

Look at it now 2010

post-37-056960600 1286694813_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Matt i have had this one in ground out at Havasu AZ 4 about 4 years now it started branching at 3 years also, these pics were taken last year, no amount of heat can hurt this palm i will plant 2 more next spring bullet proof for the desert area. Sorry for multiple posts of same palm!

post-3040-041753000 1286724266_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt i have had this one in ground out at Havasu AZ 4 about 4 years now it started branching at 3 years also, these pics were taken last year, no amount of heat can hurt this palm i will plant 2 more next spring bullet proof for the desert area. Sorry for multiple posts of same palm!

post-3040-047688500 1286724304_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

post-3040-059873400 1286724331_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I read that this aerial branching habit is supposed to be a rather 'primitive' trait, lost as palms became more 'sophisticated'.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

I still am looking for a single example of a Hyphaene that has branched above ground in southern California... anyone ever seen one?

• Upvote 1

I don't have H. coriacea but did plant an H. thebaica in fall 2008. I don't have recent photos but here are ones I took in early 09. It had already branched at ground level. Both trunks were about the same size. It's since grown much larger but still has twin trunks.

Hyphaene thebaica in pot - 2009

post-1349-001238000 1286668873_thumb.jpg

Branched trunks

post-1349-005435900 1286668901_thumb.jpg

Petioles

post-1349-069320000 1286668924_thumb.jpg

Planted

post-1349-006808600 1286669084_thumb.jpg

Meg, I think i have the same palm, if only because it was a gift from a local Palmtalk member (pg6922..thanks again, Patrick) who i think acquired it from the same source....

.......and not that i doubt your I.D. , Meg.......... :)

.....but , a question....can anyone give me some identifying keys to tell the difference between H. thebaica and H. coriacea????????

And just to mention, these palms (at least mine) respond very favorably to lots of water...mine has shot up to almost 6 ft OA from being slightly larger than Meg's pic, and that is at 18 months in the ground!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Some beautiful pics Meg, Kumar, Sergio, and Charles, thank you for posting them and for your information.

Jeff, they are not that cold hardy, mine will defoliate every year, if the temps reach the high twenties F, and light frost. They come back with a vengeance in spring, so I'll put up with the, almost yearly scorching. I've even toyed with planting something near them for protection.

Geoff, mine is starting to branch above ground, only about 4 inches though. Does that still count :)

Charles, nice progression shots.

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

A lot of times they will branch at ground level and then grow awhile, maybe to 6-7ft before they begin branching again.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A lot of times they will branch at ground level and then grow awhile, maybe to 6-7ft before they begin branching again.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Rusty, I don't know how to tell any of the Hyphaene apart. They all look similar to me.

My Hyphaene thebaica came through last winter with only minor frond damage. It was totally unprotected and exposed to north/nw winds whipping across the flats. It took down to 28.5 once and freezing or below numerous nights, as well as the infamous day of icy rain. My biggest worry is that is that it might develop rot during the rainy season as this is a desert palm. But so far, no problems. My sandy soil must drain well.

This morning I took photos to compare with 2 years ago.

Hyphaene thebaica

post-1349-074685600 1286806635_thumb.jpg post-1349-058856600 1286806669_thumb.jpg

post-1349-066292300 1286806699_thumb.jpg

Meg

Florida

I have heard that H. thebaica is the most cold hardy of the Hyphaene.

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

I can believe that. These palms must have some modicum of coldhardiness. While deserts can be hot during the day they also get cold at night. Having low humidity doesn't help hold in heat after sundown. I have no doubt my palm can overcome any cold blast sent my way. If lows ever fall to mid-20s it will be one of the few palms left standing.

Meg

Florida

• 4 months later...

I have never heard of H. coriacea branch dichotomously above ground. Mongomery Botanical Center has tons of them that are very big. They cluster at the base, but none of them have ever branched above ground. I even asked the palm curator about this and she says they are not known to be a braching species(much like H. petersoniana). I believe you may have another species other than coriacea--probably thebaica, dichotoma or compressa. I have a compressa. It's my slowest palm, by far, but is branching already at under three feet tall. These palms die in the shade, and don't seem to be very cold tolerant, from what I know...

Edited by Mandrew968

NO, that's how coriacea split... it LOOKS above ground in those photos, but as it matures you will see it is exactly at ground level. All my coriaceas I have had did the same thing... I got excited at first at an above ground split, but in 3-4 months you will see it is at ground level... oh well.

Rod Anderson in phoenix has two or more each of thebaica, coriacea, petersoniana, and compressa. All are at 12' or taller overall, most with multiple heads they are gorgeous, obviously they love the desert. As I recall the thebaica was least effected by the(non frost) 23F freeze of '07, a little foliage burn. The coriacea totally defoliated but came back very quickly, the others were less cold tolerant. He also has a fruiting Coriacea that he thinks is a hybrid with thebaica. His wisdom is that(like megs), the real danger with these hyphaenes is a wet winter and a rotting bud.

You can see his yard here after the freeze of '07, you'd never know there was damage.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=15006&st=0&p=252727&hl=+rod%20+andersons%20+desert%20+jungle&fromsearch=1&#entry252727

By the way matt, nice palm, it looks great and I expect it loves your desert heat :D .

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank