IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Burretiokentia hapala

richnorm

I haven't had this plant too long but it suddenly occurred to me that recurved leaves and somewhat droopy pinnae do not fit the text book descriptions of Burretiokentia hapala. Could this plant be sick or water stressed? Seems to be pushing spear at a reasonable rate for our climate. Any thoughts appreciated.

cheers

Richard

hapala3.jpg

hapala2.jpg

hapala1.jpg

i dont think its anything to worry about they look like all of mine did at that size now their 6-12 ft tall and loving full sun

Hi Richard

The plant looks fine to me, it looks no different to any other B hapala that I have seen at the same size.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

I think it looks water stressed to be honest. None of mine ever had a droop to the leaf like yours. The newest leaf is usually very erect. I have found that these guys love water in the ground.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I agree

With Ell-Jay-Gee . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for the opinions all. It's been a really dry summer (by our standards) and this plant went in just before Christmas.... I've been watering a lot and use heaps of mulch but in years like this one the clay bakes hard to quite a depth and it's pretty ineffective. Even the native tree ferns are brown tipping and in some cases carking from lack of water.

The problem with that palm is it's not in my garden. :lol:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I wouldnt fret about it Rich. Mine look exactly like that. I am on clay too so I have to dig in gypsum, compost, manure and old mulches. It was very dry here earlier in the year but even after good rain they didnt look all that different to me. Keep up the water and feeding, maybe do something with the soil.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Low Boron can cause a similar look, but your mulches should cover that. Less frequent, but deep watering should help is my guess.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looks more like a koghiensis to me not a hapala.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Looks more like a koghiensis to me not a hapala.

I wondered about an incorrect ID but thought it unlikely given the provenance of the plant. I think the seed may have been collected by Bryan Laughland and was certainly grown by the guy who grows plants for Bryan. We see so few NewCal species here it is not easy to get your eye in and ,forgive my ignorance but, a lot of them look damn similar. I think koghiensis is in NZ but I have never seen one.

Heavy rain all night thank goodness. Thanks for the other comments Peachy and gents.

cheers R

Looks like Hapala to me. Simple test. Does the new leaf open red or green?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Also, at that size, Khogies have a triangular shaped crownshaft.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Whatever it is, that plant looks pretty good to me. Higher humidity and shade will cause laxed leaves too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks like Hapala to me. Simple test. Does the new leaf open red or green?

Certainly not red, that would have been a dead giveaway that something was amiss! I'm told these grow through winter here and the next new leaf should open well into our wet season. If that is still droopy perhaps I just have a more open form which is just what I don't need given the extent of my over-planting.

cheers

R

Joes right on it, but I would say "leafbases" might be a better description..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I agree but look at the last picture. The leaf bases are very triangular.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I don't see it that way..But my eyes are older than yours... A better pic of the "trunkal region" would clear this up.

Just an optical illusion. The leaf base area is perfectly round in cross section.

cheers

R