IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mailing seeds internationally

sarasota alex

I need to mail palm seeds internationally. I'm going to use the USPS. Is that a pretty straight forward procedure, like pack and mail? Or are there any laws or procedures that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for any info.

Hello Alex

Seed must be cleaned before sending and botanically named on each package of seed

A cn22 customs declaration form (international standard) is available from post offices around the world and is to be placed on the outside of the envelope or package.

Seed must be sent dry, no flesh attached, a little moist vermiculite can be used as with the seed to keep them fresh

seed is easy to send, you have to get the stamps anyway, so getting the declaration form at the same time is easy, simple to fill out , in about 6 places on the form

hope this helps

regards

Colin

I need to mail palm seeds internationally. I'm going to use the USPS. Is that a pretty straight forward procedure, like pack and mail? Or are there any laws or procedures that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for any info.

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hello Alex

Seed must be cleaned before sending and botanically named on each package of seed

A cn22 customs declaration form (international standard) is available from post offices around the world and is to be placed on the outside of the envelope or package.

Seed must be sent dry, no flesh attached, a little moist vermiculite can be used as with the seed to keep them fresh

seed is easy to send, you have to get the stamps anyway, so getting the declaration form at the same time is easy, simple to fill out , in about 6 places on the form

hope this helps

regards

Colin

I second what Colin said. I've been mailing seeds around the world and to Colin and there seems to be little trouble as long as the seeds are clean and u use the CN22 form.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Here is a link to some seeds i got sent over from California , they were cleaned ,in CLEAR bags with the SCIENTIFIC NAME CLEARLY displayed .

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...c=18779&hl=

Also had declaration .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Be sure to get some sort of declaration, I've personally had the Department of Agriculture call my house over undeclared Butia seeds I bought on ebay.

Good luck

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

I think the rules on cleaning and packing are mainly for the benefit of the Ag departments of the receiving countries.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thanks again everyone! I have a follow up question: I have some seeds that already germinated. Would I be able to just put them in the bags, label and go? or is that a whole other story? also what about fruit tree petioles?

Thanks again everyone! I have a follow up question: I have some seeds that already germinated. Would I be able to just put them in the bags, label and go? or is that a whole other story? also what about fruit tree petioles?

it is the same for me. I sent germinated's seeds, as seeds.

Who know, your seeds could have germinated during the travel ! (it's happen)

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Hello Alex

Some countries will not accept germinated seeds ie Australia New Zealand.Does the USA?

Hi Mike

The reason seed has to be cleaned is to minimize the risk of spreading bugs, fungus and disease between states and countries. As most of us would not like to infect our palms, our friends plants nor our countries fauna, clean seed is a must.

The reason they have to be botanically named is for weed prevention. Plants that can become a weed in a particular country need to be prevented from importation to that country. May not be a problem in the country of origin because of natural biological controls.

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia