IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii x lagenicaulis (Silver Lady Palm)

LJG

I finally planted out my Hyophorbe verschaffeltii x lagenicaulis I got a few years ago that I have been growing in the greenhouse. This thing was a rocket in the greenhouse. It was one of my fastest palms. It was also amazing hardy to sun right out of the greenhouse. Its first leaf in full sun showed no damage. I planted this in spring and it really pushed three new leafs and really locked itself down. I put it next to my pool surrounded by concrete. I figured this would give protection.

The coldest I have hit this winter is 39. Now this thing has no canopy as it really seems Hyophorbe likes sun here. So I am sure this is part of the reason the plant is looking like the pictures below.

Here is the whole plant. It is a pretty good sized plant to put out and test.

hyphorbcrossIMG_0614.jpg

Here is the cold damage from only 39.

hyphorbcrossIMG_0615.jpg

A closer look.

hyphorbcrossIMG_0616.jpg

My Hyophorbe verschaffeltii look fine. They yellow out every winter, but green up in spring.

hyphorbcrossIMG_0617.jpg

Conclusion: I doubt this plant is any hardier to cold then Lagenicaulis, which I had hoped it would be. I will post photos in April to see how it fairs the rest of the winter, but I doubt it will make it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Your hyophorbe verschaffeltii look great. They seem to be the first palm that yellows. Very slow grower for me. Photo from this morning.

003-3.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Yeah, what Bob said. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mine is so far undamaged and I saw at least 32d and probably colder than that. My indica bottle cross got a little bleached out in the sun this summer but so far is also ok this winter. It's early days yet, but no sign of cold damage yet.

San Fernando Valley, California

Do you have pics Peter?

Bob, you have not been online much. I figured you eloped with Rusty the Orangutan and moved to Thailand.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Do you have pics Peter?

Bob, you have not been online much. I figured you eloped with Rusty the Orangutan and moved to Thailand.

Nah, Rusty moved to Titsville Florida, broke my heart :violin:

We have been hard at work at the new property in East Oceanside developeing Willowbrook Nursery. Hopeing to be open for business this spring

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Do you have pics Peter?

Nah, Rusty moved to Titsville Florida, broke my heart :violin:

We have been hard at work at the new property in East Oceanside developeing Willowbrook Nursery. Hopeing to be open for business this spring

I heard this from Jeff Bresseau. I look forward to checking out the hard work and using my 75% off for life coupon.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I think it will survive. Keep the optimism alive.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Even though it pushed out those three in full sun away from the greenhouse, could it still just be acclimating to the outdoors. I've seen a few of my palms do this on early leaves but not on subsequent.

I agree Bob, Len needs to cut loose with a full centerfold spread, it's kick arse.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Len, I stand corrected. I hadn't really looked at it since a day or two after the cold snap, and now it is showing some burn, so I guess it takes a while to show. Here it is this morning:

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

Doesn't look too bad yet, but again, it's early days.

Here's my bottle x indica-it's looking rough, but it's mostly burn from the sun. It was fine all summer until September, then really started to singe. I'm contemplating moving it next spring so that it gets a bit of sun protection, although Jeff R. said to give it another year to get some size(that's if it survives of course).

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

Looks like it's growing good Len. I don't see any reason that it would die on you. Like Matt mentioned, I think it's still sunburning a bit too. In Winter, my Bottle dosen't fry on the upper surfaces like yours, it gets tip die back and spotting, which I don't see on yours. Let it grow some roots over winter and by the end of next Summer you're gonna have a stellar looking palm. I doubt you'll ever get it to look good all year, being a Hyophorbe. You're pool/concrete area there is for front office material, which this dosen't qualify for in my opinion due to the fact that it gets tattered too easily. Finding that balance between rare and performing well for those primo spots is a real challenge. If anyone can do it though, you can Len. You're garden is A#1 in my book here in CA. Good luck.

Here's a pic of my Bottle with some evidence of last Winter's damage. What I failed to notice when I typed the above paragraph is that the leaflet tips are the uppermost part of the leaf on this plant, whereas in your palm the droppy leaflets make for the center of the leaf to be the most exposed part of the leaf. So my tip burn and your mid leaf burn are a function of it being the most exposed part of the leaf. So I guess yours is cold damage. My Bottle starts spotting @ 44F and at 38F (my lowest) the older leaves pretty much get fried right off. These are like a deciduous tree; they lose their leaves in Winter and grow back in Summer.

post-126-1261673129_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Len, Burned at 39F? Wow, mine has seen colder than that without any burn. Heck, my lipstick doesn't even burn at 39f.

Yeah. You FL guys are lucky as your cold is different.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Even though it pushed out those three in full sun away from the greenhouse, could it still just be acclimating to the outdoors. I've seen a few of my palms do this on early leaves but not on subsequent.

I agree Bob, Len needs to cut loose with a full centerfold spread, it's kick arse.

Could be Matt, but usually I would have seen signs. These leaves were very healthly with no sun damage going into winter. But lets see what happens. Hopefully it gets through winter (which it should) and the next round of leaves are tougher.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, I stand corrected. I hadn't really looked at it since a day or two after the cold snap, and now it is showing some burn, so I guess it takes a while to show. Here it is this morning:

Here's my bottle x indica-it's looking rough, but it's mostly burn from the sun. It was fine all summer until September, then really started to singe. I'm contemplating moving it next spring so that it gets a bit of sun protection, although Jeff R. said to give it another year to get some size(that's if it survives of course).

Peter, yours looks pretty good. Does it have some protection overhead? I do not see the necrosis from the cold I see on mine. I know mine if from lack of any overhead protection.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I doubt you'll ever get it to look good all year, being a Hyophorbe. You're pool/concrete area there is for front office material, which this dosen't qualify for in my opinion due to the fact that it gets tattered too easily. Finding that balance between rare and performing well for those primo spots is a real challenge.

Matt, I agree. It is not as easy as people think finding the right balance. I will get up at 2 AM and go outside with a flashlight to check a possible planting site out. My wife thinks I am nuts. The reason it was put there was do to the proximity of the Hyophorbe verschaffeltii's. But I think you might be right and it needs to be moved. Also, I think I need to get it some minor protection against the house or under the canopy of another palm as fully exposed in winter even with the pool will not help.

I still think it odd it has this type of damage already. I have never taken another palm out of the GH and had cold damage like this so early. This includes plants that were brunt before winter got here.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Well, the laxed leaves tell me that the palm still isn't fully acclimated yet. It just dosen't have that hardened off look. Let the Winter do it's toll on it and when it heats up it'll start throwing leaves that should be completely acclimated to our climate. That'll set you up for better results (ie thicker cell walls) next Winter. I think you've got a little bit longer than a year before you should decide wheather or not it stays in that spot. Just my opinioin.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I doubt you'll ever get it to look good all year, being a Hyophorbe. You're pool/concrete area there is for front office material, which this dosen't qualify for in my opinion due to the fact that it gets tattered too easily. Finding that balance between rare and performing well for those primo spots is a real challenge.

Matt, I agree. It is not as easy as people think finding the right balance. I will get up at 2 AM and go outside with a flashlight to check a possible planting site out. My wife thinks I am nuts. The reason it was put there was do to the proximity of the Hyophorbe verschaffeltii's. But I think you might be right and it needs to be moved. Also, I think I need to get it some minor protection against the house or under the canopy of another palm as fully exposed in winter even with the pool will not help.

I still think it odd it has this type of damage already. I have never taken another palm out of the GH and had cold damage like this so early. This includes plants that were brunt before winter got here.

Don't get up at 2am,the coldest temps are usually 530-700am....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

Peter, your hyophorbe looks similar to mine; I have a dwarf tabebuia\ 8' for overhead sun protection during summer.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Len,

"Silver Lady Palm" is H. lagencaulis x vershaffeltii (Bottle is mother).. isn't it?? I think that's what you have. It gets its name due to white powdery coating on leaf sheaths. I will post a pic of mine when I return to FL.

Also, I thought the Hyophorbe hybrids Jeff R. distributed were H. vershaffeltii x indica F1?

JD

Len,

"Silver Lady Palm" is H. lagencaulis x vershaffeltii (Bottle is mother).. isn't it?? I think that's what you have. It gets its name due to white powdery coating on leaf sheaths. I will post a pic of mine when I return to FL.

Also, I thought the Hyophorbe hybrids Jeff R. distributed were H. vershaffeltii x indica F1?

JD

I am not sure the correct nomenclature for what people call the Silver Lady Palm to be honest. I know it was bought as a Silver Lady and I do not have the tag to remember if it were H. lagencaulis x vershaffeltii or H. vershaffeltii x lagencaulis.

I also have a H. vershaffeltii x indica F1 from Jeff. It goes in the ground in Spring.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

On a side note Len how have your spindles done? They look really good. Jesse talked me into a really nice 15g and it will go in this spring. As much sun as possible?

San Marcos CA

Shon, Vershaffeltii does pretty well for me. This completes the third year of those being in the ground and each year they did the same thing. They yellow in late fall to spring and then once the weather warms up enough to heat the ground, they green up. They do better then my two Indica's I have also.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks Len I'm done with indica as well,had two both looked like shite all the time so I ripped them out and put in some Dypsis plumosa's which always look good. I call them Gary and Len.

San Marcos CA

I think you guys should be alright with these hybrids in the ground there, even if they do burn. Just don't put the H. verschaffeltii x indicas in full sun.

Here is shorthand for Hyphorbe hybrids:

Bindica

Spindica

Spottle

Bindle

These should be F1s except the Spottle.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

That's a cool palm Len... looks like a weepy spindle, less recurve than a bottle. Looking forward to seeing it's progress.

I had to dig up 3 indicas and 1 spindle this Fall. Why? My siberian husky keeps chewing the fronds off. He ignores all my other palms, just chews on the Hyophorbes. They are recuperating on my upstairs deck.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I think you're right about the verschaffeltia x indica not liking full sun-mine is definitely bleached out, even the new leaves. Let's hope they move easily...

Thanks Len I'm done with indica as well,had two both looked like shite all the time so I ripped them out and put in some Dypsis plumosa's which always look good. I call them Gary and Len.

Haha, that was some good stuff. Hey, if you did not get this months Palms, let me know. It is right up your alley. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

What is a "Spottle"? This is what I have Christian as I remember the tag. I got it from Tri. Hyophorbe verschaffeltii x lagenicaulis with Bottle dad? Any idea if it looks like a Silver Lady (as it sure does now).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len:

Great palm!

Hmm. Those Hyophorbes sometimes get a bit cranky in acclimitization, yours hasn't yet, but I will make the appropriate scream of delight when it does. (After you post the picture, of course!)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What is a "Spottle"? This is what I have Christian as I remember the tag. I got it from Tri. Hyophorbe verschaffeltii x lagenicaulis with Bottle dad? Any idea if it looks like a Silver Lady (as it sure does now).

A Spottle is a Spindle x Bottle, so yes that is the Silver Lady, whoever gave it that name, it stuck. The Bindle should be a Silver Daddy.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

• 1 year later...

Well, here it is after another winter. I think this will continue forever. Seems to hate winter but grows so fast in spring through fall that it replaces its leaves only to lose them again by February.

hylagcrossIMG_0993.jpg

hylagcrossIMG_0994.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the update len. I've had similar results with my hyophorbes. They are cool to have off in a corner as bragging rights but just not up to snuff for bling in the landscape.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hmmmm.. more pix please Len........

Thanks for the update len. I've had similar results with my hyophorbes. They are cool to have off in a corner as bragging rights but just not up to snuff for bling in the landscape.

Yep. This guy is being demoted this year as we speak.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Well, here it is after another winter. I think this will continue forever. Seems to hate winter but grows so fast in spring through fall that it replaces its leaves only to lose them again by February.

hylagcrossIMG_0993.jpg

hylagcrossIMG_0994.jpg

How cold does it get at your place Len?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Kinda like the free-loading 25 year old who still lives at home, eating all the food, taking up space, and doesn't work. You might love 'em but you've got to know when to say when.