• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help to ID palm in Malaysia - Euterpe oleracea?

julian

Hi, I'm trying to identify a palm in my garden and someone has suggested to me that it's a Euterpe oleracea

Here are some pics, and more on my blog post here: http://tropical-gardening.blogspot.com/200...-palm-tree.html

trop_pic_091017_YellowPalmWide.jpg

trop_pic_091017_YellowPalmTrunk.jpg

Thanks for any help! :)

(I'm not sure why, but the pictures and attachments don't seem to be working... on my blog post I have pictures of the trunk, the flowers and fruit.)

post-3963-1256643223_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm trying to identify a palm in my garden and someone has suggested to me that it's a Euterpe oleracea

Here are some pics, and more on my blog post here: http://tropical-gardening.blogspot.com/200...-palm-tree.html

trop_pic_091017_YellowPalmWide.jpg

trop_pic_091017_YellowPalmTrunk.jpg

Thanks for any help! :)

(I'm not sure why, but the pictures and attachments don't seem to be working... on my blog post I have pictures of the trunk, the flowers and fruit.)

Hi Julian -

Welcome to PalmTalk and to IPS!

There are folks much better at ID than I who should be able to help with your ID. Looks to me like E. oleracea. There is a very recent post on Euterpes that may be of interest:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=20670

Best Regards - gmp

Thanks gmp - I had seen that post, and it's true they look like that, but I wanted to get another's point of view.

Does that mean I can try eating the palm shoots/palm hearts?

Cheers,

Julian

Julian,

You have an Euterpe olearcea there alright. Yes you can eat the palm hearts and you can make juice from the berries. Although you need a fair amount of berries to produce much juice.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the PalmTalk Forum! And yes, as dk pointed out, you can make juice from the berries but they are tiny and my guess is that you need thousands in order to make even a small amount of juice!

Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Mellow Yellow

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bo,

If the berries are good you can make a couple of good sized glasses from one bunch of fruit. You need to do the following:

* Wash the berries well.

* Let them sit in almost hot water for about 30 minutes or so.

* Smash them to release the pulp from the seeds.

* Strain the pulp through a fairly open strainer to allow a pasty liquid to go through.

* Mix with water to the desired texture. Normally the juice is really more like a milk shake than a juice drink.

* You can consume with or without sugar. Most people here like sugar. I just drink the stuff straight.

Julian,

I forgot to welcome you to Palm Talk. It is great to have someone from Malaysia on board.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Thanks a lot for the info! My main challenge is to simply collect the fruit - it's like 40 ft up there!!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Don,

Thanks a lot for the info! My main challenge is to simply collect the fruit - it's like 40 ft up there!!

Bo-Göran

Bo,

Hopefully one of these days I can get to Hawaii with my wife and kids. She was raised climbing up açai trees and probably still can get up there. When up cutting down the fruit you then swing the tree until it gets close enough to the other one to jump over to it and cut the fruit off of that one. Maybe she won´t want to do that part anymore. Her mom was just telling me the other day how good Raquel was at climbing up the tree and harvesting the fruit when growing up in their home up in the jungle. I certainly am not going to try it. Cutting the fruit off of the Oenocarpus bataua is a real challange as the fruit clusters are bigger and much heavier. She used to harvest those as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg