IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BELIZE

Kim

My friend Linda and I had long planned a diving trip to Belize, but for one reason or another, it was pushed back again and again. Finally last year while in Costa Rica, we committed to a trip this April, and, weak economy or not, we were on our way. We flew to Belize City via San Salvador, and took the first pix at the water taxi station, awaiting the boat to Ambergris Caye where we would hang out for about a week and do our diving.

post-216-1240796496_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

post-216-1240796637_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

This is our ultimate destination, the famed Blue Hole:

post-216-1240796897_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Of course, that is the view from the computer screen in the internet cafe...

post-216-1240796984_thumb.jpg

...but it is for real, I'll get to that later. :)

Kim Cyr

Looking out toward the water, wondering what is in store for us...

post-216-1240797075_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Couldn't help noticing the roots on this palm!!!

post-216-1240797273_thumb.jpg

Turns out we'll see this palm again and again, a common inhabitant of Ambergris Caye. I believe it is the Christmas Palm, or Adonidia merrellii (feel free to correct me, as usual!!!)

Kim Cyr

We are dead tired from the overnight flight and nearly 2-hour boat ride, so we grab a late lunch and crash in our mmmmm-modest hotel room. But we rise early, excited for the first dive day. Breakfast at Estel's next door, a typical beach cafe with completely casual atmosphere and sand floors. It's Easter Sunday and a nearby table is full of people singing and pounding on the table -- this at 7:00 am! Early Easter celebration, or all-nighter? We don't know, and don't stick around to find out. The reef awaits...

post-216-1240797711_thumb.jpg

post-216-1240797728_thumb.jpg

Linda submerged at Tuffy Reef, about 60 ft. depth. I've bought an underwater housing for my husband's Canon Powershot. He evinced no qualms at letting me take his work camera to potential depths of 130 ft..... :)

Kim Cyr

The fish move fast! The shutter speed is slower than I am used to...

post-216-1240798073_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

This is an experimental session with the new camera housing, and while I'm slightly disappointed with the color, it does indeed work!

post-216-1240798175_thumb.jpg

These coral were actually somewhat pinkish, so you can share in my disappontment!

Kim Cyr

The blues seem to come more true; purple sponge:

post-216-1240798269_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

I have to laugh while reviewing these photos; all was not smooth at the beginning! I had the 'display' feature switched off, and couldn't see a bloody thing through the viewfinder! All was eventually remedied with practice.

Linda hovering above a channel in the reef:

post-216-1240798409_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Perhaps you can detect the pinkish tone to the coral in this pic:

post-216-1240798504_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

This is a huge barrel sponge, the opening about 24" in diameter:

post-216-1240798572_thumb.jpg

Sorry, dinner break! More to add later if you can handle the underwater blooooo-ness!

Kim Cyr

Kim,

Wow, Belize! Seems like I was just there! :) (For the IPS Board meeting, which was held at DuPlooys Jungle Lodge, close to San Ignacio and only a few miles from the Guatemalan border).

And with or without the pink, those underwater shots are pretty amazing. And yes, that palm is indeed an Adonidia merrillii!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

This photo helps put the size of the barrel sponge in perspective, although the bubbles from Linda's exhalation obscure her face...

post-216-1240806532_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Sharks -- well in Belize, you can pick them up and pet them -- as long as they are nurse sharks.

post-216-1240806604_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

The next morning we learned this was the windy season in Belize -- so windy that our morning dive was cancelled -- the waves were too high to go out beyond the reef. So instead we rented bicycles to tour the Caye. A view of where we were NOT staying:

post-216-1240806764_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

You can see the wind bending the coconut palms in the photo:

post-216-1240806893_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

A tapas restaurant where we would eat later, Casa Picasso:

post-216-1240806990_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Lunch at our favorite cheap-o cafe has a great view:

post-216-1240807078_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Estel's, they have what you want, including sand between your toes...

post-216-1240807158_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Today is Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Sounds exciting! Although we use Aqua Dives every day, the boats, captains, and dive masters change according to the number of divers, and in this case, snorklers. Our captain today is Louis:

And our dive master is Eric (white cap).

post-216-1240807342_thumb.jpg

post-216-1240807421_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

We are at Hol Chan preserve, and we are not alone:

post-216-1240807651_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

This is a shallow dive in a channel, so the light is good.

post-216-1240807710_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

The fish are thick.

post-216-1240807845_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

post-216-1240807898_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

post-216-1240807946_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Detail of a purple fan:

post-216-1240807992_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

A small ray:

post-216-1240808045_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Nurse shark with remora attached:

post-216-1240808086_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Closeup of leaf coral:

post-216-1240808136_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Linda bringing a conch shell for me to see. We had these for dinner later; kind of like abalone or squid, a bit on the chewy side, but tasty:

post-216-1240808202_thumb.jpg

More when I have time, if you like.

Kim Cyr

I enjoyed my stay on Caye Corker over 20 years ago .

It was a bit rough in Belize back then , several murders in the short time I was there .

Lots of British army & airforce guys on R'n'R .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Beautiful pics Kim! Thanks for sharing!

We stopped in Belize on a cruise few years ago. They have some fantastic caves to explore there as well!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Nice photos Kim! I have thought it would be interesting to shoot underwater, but couldn't find a underwater housing within a good price range; although I scour for used ones when I can. The blueness in the photos, is that is how the photos came out, or how they appear after color correction? How was the white balance set on the camera during the shots underwater? I'm interested to see if that is something that can be addressed in pre versus being worked on in post. Put up as many photos as you have.

Ryan

South Florida

Bo -- So you and the IPS Board were in Belize recently, and we have yet to see a single photo posted. Hmmm... :hmm: We'd love to see any photos from the jungle, anyone, post them here if you've got them. :)

Michael -- Caye Corker/Caulker is a rather quiet place these days, but still referred to as "a sunny place for shady people" and "a drinking village with a fishing problem". :mrlooney:

Thanks, Bren -- I didn't make it to the caves; guess that means I'll have to go back again!

Thanks, Ryan -- I fiddled around with the camera, but never did find a white balance option. I did reset the ISO to 200 -- for some reason Steve had it on 80 -- but I honestly don't know if that made any difference when shooting on AUTO with the underwater setting. Getting the housing for the camera was a very last-minute thing, and I didn't have a chance to get really familiar with this camera, quite different from the Nikon D40. All the photos are straight out of the camera, no editing or adjusting at all, so the blue is from the water filtering the sunlight. And in some places, especially in the Blue Hole, the water was truly dark, deep blue, absolutely mesmerizing. I was told the visibility wasn't so good due to the wind -- only 40 to 60 ft. of visibility; in perfect conditions visibility can exceed 100 ft.

Kim Cyr

Great pictures Kim. Looks like you had a great time. Did you gals see any different sharks other then the Nurse shark? Any more pictures?

more palms, less bombs!

Kim,

Actually, in a last-minute misguided decision before walking out the door on my way to the airport I decided not to bring a camera (long story, but the extremely short version is that I was trying to travel as light as possible). That was dumb. Won't make that mistake again...! But I see Mike is posting photos from Belize now. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Glad you had fun, Kim. Did you make it to the Blue Hole Or is that where you were scuba diving in the pics) and how deep its it? Looks pretty foreboding.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter