IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus X Butia

PalmGuyWC

Has anyone seen a Syagrus X Butia cross, using Syagrus as the mother tree? I remember years ago visiting a palm society member who lived several miles north of Tampa. It's been a while back so I can't remember the owners name, but he speculated that it was a Syagrus X Butia cross.

As I recall the palm looked mostly like a Queen, but the petiole bases were very wide where connected to the trunk. It also had a lot of fiber or excelsa growing from the base of the petiole. I wasn't interested in hybrids then, so I didnt' pay much attention, but as I recall the fronds were plumose like a Syagrus.

A Queen X Parajubaea would make an interesting cross and I believe it's possible, also a Syagrus X Jubaea.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Has anyone seen a Syagrus X Butia cross, using Syagrus as the mother tree? I remember years ago visiting a palm society member who lived several miles north of Tampa. It's been a while back so I can't remember the owners name, but he speculated that it was a Syagrus X Butia cross.

As I recall the palm looked mostly like a Queen, but the petiole bases were very wide where connected to the trunk. It also had a lot of fiber or excelsa growing from the base of the petiole. I wasn't interested in hybrids then, so I didnt' pay much attention, but as I recall the fronds were plumose like a Syagrus.

A Queen X Parajubaea would make an interesting cross and I believe it's possible, also a Syagrus X Jubaea.

Dick

I had thought, but I do not like working at heights. Maybe in the future ...

I'd like to see any pictures of these crossings.

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Murcia,

I have a Syagrus X(Butia X Jubaea) but it's small and in a container and not much to look at yet. I have a spot picked out for it, but I have to remove a couple of rose bushes. I'll photoghraph it later in the summer when it's grown a few more fronds. So far it has flat fronds that droop on the ends and on one plain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dear Dick :)

you have made my imagination run wild ! I like the idea... :)

And eager to see visuals from your & other's garden of these hybrids !

Love,

Kris :)

By the way will they put out huge trunks...? :drool::lol:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris,

There are numerous threads on the board discussing hybrids with pictures. Go to search and type in "hybrids." Many of them are photos of small palms because they are so new. It will be a few more years until we know what they will grow into. Merrill has some nice photos of his mature hybrids.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick

I'd sure go for a syagrus x parajubaea, it might be the ideal desert canopy palm tree. Unlike the large phoenix it wouldnt be hazardous to trim, should grow quite fast, and take the heat better than the parajubaea. Homeowners need to see something different here to develop an appetite. The syagrus arent dry tolerant and tend to look ratty, the phoenix tend to be relatively slow and too armed with nasty thorns, some type of heat resistant parajubaea cross might be the ticket here. My PVT seedlings are just about the most dry/wind tolerant seedlings I have ever had, now if only they would grow and thrive in the heat.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

It gets very hot in Walnut Creek in the summer with temps. often over 100 F. My Butia X Parajubaea grows like crazy in the summer heat, in fact it's the fastest growing palm I have. I realize it gets very hot in the desert and your nights are warm/hot too. It does cool off in Calif. almost every night, however B X P is growing nicely in Orlando and Houston.

I also get good growth from Parajubaea T V T in the warmer months too. Just about everything quits growing here about the middle of Nov and doesn't resume growth till about now.

There is a good chance there will be some Syagrus X Parajubaeas in the near future.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It gets very hot in Walnut Creek in the summer with temps. often over 100 F. My Butia X Parajubaea grows like crazy in the summer heat, in fact it's the fastest growing palm I have. I realize it gets very hot in the desert and your nights are warm/hot too. It does cool off in Calif. almost every night, however B X P is growing nicely in Orlando and Houston.

I also get good growth from Parajubaea T V T in the warmer months too. Just about everything quits growing here about the middle of Nov and doesn't resume growth till about now.

There is a good chance there will be some Syagrus X Parajubaeas in the near future.

Dick

Dick,

Are butia/parajubaea crosses available anywhere you know? That one could work very well here. I believe that hybrids are the key to expanding the use of palms as landscape trees in the subtropics, including desert areas. We have about 90 100F+ degree days a year for reference. Our hot is also very dry in april through june, and the PVT is really tough in the drying winds. WHen it is dry here(till beginning of july) it gets quite cool at night, about a 30-40 degree drop from the daytime high. When the monsoon hits, its kind of tough, sometimes only cooling off to 88-90F overnight. Queens hate the dry/hot season, but love monsoon season, (heat + moisture) they grow like crazy, and the PVT genetics might handle the dry/hot when it cools off at night. This makes a syagrus PVT cross sound especially intriguing in the desert. Butias seem not to like the heat here, they slow down alot, but especially hate the dry/hot, so a cross there sounds interesting as well.

Tom

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tom,

Patrick Schafer may have some Butia X Parajubaea for sale. In fact I think he is the only person who has them. His E mail is PLS@Hughes.net and his phone is 707 895-3722. He has some other neat cocoid hybrids too.

My Butia X Parajubaea gets early morning sun but is shaded in the late, hot afternoon and it seems to love that spot.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I have had the pleasure of touring Merrill Wilcoxs' garden, and let me tell you he has an enormous Syagrus X Butia!

Let's hope that he chimes in and shares a pic for all to see!!!! I was blown away!!! What a beautifull palm!! You will not

be dissapointed!

I have never been able to perform that one particular cross after trying a few times, maybe i'll try again!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Hi Kris,

There are numerous threads on the board discussing hybrids with pictures. Go to search and type in "hybrids." Many of them are photos of small palms because they are so new. It will be a few more years until we know what they will grow into. Merrill has some nice photos of his mature hybrids.

Dick

Thanks dear dick,i must say that you,merrill & tim are pioneers in this field..since you all have taken palm growing hobby to the next level..i.e trying to create newer varities & forms ! Keep up the good work :greenthumb:

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I have had the pleasure of touring Merrill Wilcoxs' garden, and let me tell you he has an enormous Syagrus X Butia!

Let's hope that he chimes in and shares a pic for all to see!!!! I was blown away!!! What a beautifull palm!! You will not

be dissapointed!

I have never been able to perform that one particular cross after trying a few times, maybe i'll try again!

Dear Mark :)

thanks for the intreasting information,even iam eagerly waiting for the visuals of that beauty... :drool:

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif