IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Name my infestation? Please

plantapalm

I recently purchased this Latania verschaffeltii from a plant show and noticed I brought home more than a palm. What are these black mite bugs and what do I do to get rid of them and the ants that are creating a mess around the new spear?

SANY1027.jpg

SANY1022.jpg

SANY1019.jpg

SANY1025.jpg

Looks like scale to me....although I haven't seen it just like that.

Try ant killer first, as they use the other bug as a source of food. Then scale removal, which will take more time with neem oil to suffocate them, if I am correct.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

i have that kind in my garden.u can just rub em off or spray with water if u dont wanna use chemicals,i dont like to use too many due to a fishpond.you have to keep doing it though if you dont use any.if thats not an issue then bepah's advice is spot-on.

• Upvote 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Pesticidal oil will do the trick!! You can buy it at your local HD. It will kill the scale AND the ants that accompany them!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

what a great name for a tv quiz show: "Name My Infestation." :mrlooney:

still "warning-free."

Hi

Latans are famous for that black scale here....they multiply very quickly so rather use Merit as a soil drench and its good night for good! Once that black scale gets a foothold in your garden its a b$#%& to get rid of it...

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

it seems to attack only rhopies,here.not too seriously so far..."touch wood,"as wal says. :)

still "warning-free."

That palm is awefully yellow. Is that normal for that palm, or a symptom of the bugs, or of a nutrient issue which may be making the palm susceptible to the bugs?

Just a thought.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This palms common name is the Yellow Latan Palm. I pretty sure that it should be this color.

Gotcha. LOL at myself. Over here in coldy land, anytime a palm looks like that, it is dying from something.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

While we are on infestations I have a spindle palm that has well I don't know what it has. The new leaf starts out perfect but has time goes on it develops these dangelers hanging under the leaves and then these copper spots develop. Is it a deficiency or a pest?

SANY9980.jpg

SANY9974.jpg

SANY9969.jpg

SANY9970.jpg

Them thar black thangs are not scale. They are "Palm Aphids". They are "farmed" by the ants.

Kill the ants with ant killer and the aphids with aphid killer. Choose what ever weapons you want.

I use a systemic in my nursery and that gets rid of lots of insects.

Granular Talstar kills ants and all kinds of other stuff that may not feed on the palms, like roaches. I love it on my farm. NO red ants!

Then add fertilizer and water and presto. No mulch. no foliar spray. Just fert and water.

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Thanks Ken. I thought you were full of it so I checked and you were right! Palm aphid (Cerataphis palmae) . I always thought this was scale too. Good to know. I get these on my Rhopies and Howeias.

Them thar black thangs are not scale. They are "Palm Aphids". They are "farmed" by the ants.

Kill the ants with ant killer and the aphids with aphid killer. Choose what ever weapons you want.

Granular Talstar kills ants and all kinds of other stuff that may not feed on the palms, like roaches. I love it on my farm. NO red ants!

Then add fertilizer and water and presto. No mulch. no foliar spray. Just fert and water.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Nice call! An aphid that looks (and acts) like a scale insect. Learn something new every day. :)

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

• 1 year later...

KEN!!

I put out some of that talstar about 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure if its working. I think it is, but should you dose twice for heavy or??? (I just shot some malathion this morning on the heavy hit guys...)

Anyway, now I see all this little white spots on the leaves, etc Kinda like when Buffy hit a vampire and they turned to dust. Is this the sign its working?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Michael,

If you are like me, and do not want any toxic sh.t in your garden, use Neem oil diluted with water to spray on your plants to get rid of unwanted pests. It's organic and it also will act as a fertilizer. Spray the plant and surrounding ground area. Trouble with chemical sprays is they do more than just kill the bugs. They eventually end up inside you. :(

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Bill.

Shoot man my bad. You should have removed the aphids with your finger mails and killed the ants one by one as they showed thier little abdomens to you. That is if you don't want to use chemicals, which is fine but them ants and underground bugs are hard to get at.

I'm glad you tried the talstar. When you grow all kinds of non natives and crowd them togeather, fighting mother nature at every turn, you at times must be firm in your approach. If not disatser will loom and $ will be lost. A multifaceted approach is always good with all things often but in moderation. Twice a year with talstar type product and in between with malathyon and or cygon. Fertilizer in between and add water.

:) Valezifacation!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

there is a scale insect typically referred to as Latania scale but that ain't it; you can tell palm aphids because they are white along outside, red scale lacks this. One thing to keep in mind w/ aphids, they attack new growth only - whatever you use you'll need to drench the bud, thats most likely their place of origin. If you use hort. oil (the safest environ. friendlier choice) you'll probably need a 2nd dose a few wks later. If you use a systemic (talstar is not one, anything w/ imidacloprid - Merit, etc.) is the active ingredient will move into the newest growth. Some systemics are a bit too slow acting for aphids (they can multiply quickly), lately I've been using a mix of bifenthrin (Talstar) w/ a sysmetic, lately dinotefuran aka Safari. The Talstar kills off the exposed insects, the systemic kills off the hidden ones, and keeps them off for awhile (depending on product employed).

- dave

Ken,

Just because you are right doesn't mean you aren't full of it. :)

I used to use cygon but I don't think they make it anymore, I have not seen it available. Merit is a synthetic tobacinoid, and although it is very effective, I think it is relatively safe if directions are followed. Neem oil works but you need to keep re-applying and you must get coverage on the bugs themselves. It is a contact insecticide not systemic.

Plantapalm,

Your Spindle needs potassium. Pretty typical for that genus. I think the dangly things are part of the palm.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Bill.

Shoot man my bad. You should have removed the aphids with your finger mails and killed the ants one by one as they showed thier little abdomens to you. That is if you don't want to use chemicals, which is fine but them ants and underground bugs are hard to get at.

I'm glad you tried the talstar. When you grow all kinds of non natives and crowd them togeather, fighting mother nature at every turn, you at times must be firm in your approach. If not disatser will loom and $ will be lost. A multifaceted approach is always good with all things often but in moderation. Twice a year with talstar type product and in between with malathyon and or cygon. Fertilizer in between and add water.

:) Valezifacation!

Opps! I didn't get the answer I was waiting for from you. BUT, then I thought about it and checked and realized I used Deltagard, not talstar. My bad.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi, Ken et al.:

The trade name Cygon may be discontinued, but it is available as generic dimethoate [possibly in two brands] at a very reasonable price.

Best Wishes,

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Thanks Dear Ken :)

Even i have this problem,they come immedietly after the rains stop and early summer begins...

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi, Ken et al.:

Further examination shows there are ten different generic versions of dimethoate!

Best Wishes,

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida