IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Delonix regia, in bloom

MattyB

I was at a job site near downtown San Diego and I saw a tree that I thought was Delonix regia across the street. When we left the jobsite I drove by that way to check it out. It turned out to only be a Mimosa tree, so we moved on. We were driving down Island St. at 25th in Sherman Heights, just west of Grant Hill. I was explaining to my Dad that in these old neighborhoods there are some hidden botanical treasures, when all of a sudden, BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrettyTree-001.jpg

PrettyTree-002.jpg

PrettyTree-003.jpg

PrettyTree-005.jpg

There were lots of flowers on the ground too. This area never gets anything other than rainwater. What a treat.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

Is this tree not very common in So-cal? If so, is this considered good size?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey Jeff,

I can say that it is not common in Orange County... I have not seen one of that size, so I would consider that a large tree.

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Hey Jeff,

I can say that it is not common in Orange County... I have not seen one of that size, so I would consider that a large tree.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks! I just assumed that they grew out there and got pretty large. They are a nice tree.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

MY favorite flowering tree....always drawn to the reds and oranges.

I would imagine that since SoCal is fairly dry, it would lend to doing well there.

However, your winter night lows, I would think would stress the species.

I assume, Matt, that this area this tree was in suffered from record cold--freezing temperatures--last winter? It looks great, regardless.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

The Regia Delonix is truly a Carribean native and for it to grow in a Meditteranean climate is an outstanding accompolishment.Dave also posted a nice one in his neighborhood.I have seen a poster from Arizona show Royal Poincianna's growing from Northern Mexico to Northern Phoenix and even Tucson.It would be great to get an update on these specimens after the 2007 freeze.Great find!

What you look for is what is looking

I've never seen a Delonix here, in person, growing outside of a plant enthusiasts garden. And this is by far the largest I've ever seen. If I can get mine through winter I think I can get it up to a pretty good size fairly quickly using water and fertilizer. It's such a fast grower in summer. Mine is 6 feet tall, branching, and very beefy for a plant grown from seed only 13 months ago.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

matt from what you told me about this tree you didnt think it recieved ANY care at all.maybe thats the trcik,just plant one in a good spot & walk away...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Yeah, I think you're right about that in the winter time. But it responds really well to water and fertilizer in the summer. So maybe you can keep your "tricks" to yourself....if you know what I mean.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The issue is two fold. 1) They need heat to flower and grow. The ones in SD that do well seem to be growing in city areas. Lots of ambient heat and no real chance of freeze. 2) They need it dry in winter. It rains in winter here. So it is hard to get these trees to this size. Unless you have a place like Gary Levine, where he stops all watering in winter and gets lots of heat in summer. I think MayyB will have a good location too.

Matt, good luck with yours. Anytime I planted out small, they died back to far and never fully recovered. Last year I bought one and in winter put it in the garage. It still had major die back. But now it is growing fast and has been pruned up. I hope it does not get too tall because I want to over winter it in my greenhouse and get it ready for spring planting. The trunk is about as big as your fist now. So it has some wood so should be able to handle winter 2009.

Jeff, growing these things is like two steps forward and one step back. I have found that after winter, the growing points die. New grow comes out well below. So if I grow 3 feet in summer, winter will kick it back a foot and half. This is my experience anyway.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks Len.

By the way, Hunter's Nursery in Spring Valley has a couple of these in 24" or 36" boxes. they're well overhead, maybe 12' tall. The lady who was working there didn't even know what they were.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

you musta been in the taco shop across the street...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Matty, You've given me hope for my 15 gal. That tree is friggin awesome :drool: !!! The first one I have seen bloom in San Diego. I bought mine as a 1 gal. and it has made it outside through 2 winters. Thanks for posting!

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Matty B:

What a great discovery! Wonderful pictures!

I think that D. regia may be close to the Commercial St. tree.

I have several pictures in photobucket.com of trees I know of in

Southern California. I have recently added new pictures.

Check them out.

The link is: http://photobucket.com/

Username: andyplantman

Password: plumeria (lower case)

Here is a couple of pics from the Commercial St. tree

post-1786-1218239748_thumb.jpg post-1786-1218239748_thumb.jpg

post-1786-1218239907_thumb.jpg

I think I can see one blooming in Leucadia right 5 freeway on top of a bluff. I'll double check on the way home tomorrow. Good you stuck with something a little more hardy like a Satakentia Matty.

San Marcos CA

Serious? I will have to make a trip. If I get there and they are just Jacarandas I will be mad Matt.

Thanks Len.

By the way, Hunter's Nursery in Spring Valley has a couple of these in 24" or 36" boxes. they're well overhead, maybe 12' tall. The lady who was working there didn't even know what they were.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Actually to be accurate, the Delonix is a Madagascar native, and not from the Caribbean.

San Fernando Valley, California

Peter,You are right but it was reported that there were more Royal Poincianna's in Miami than the entire country of Madagascar.It is kind of like the Maleleuca,that is from Australia but has taken over the Everglades.

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks Len.

Matty,

Is that the nursery off the 125 in Lemon Grove on Sweetwater? Do you happen to know what they want for a 24" box?

Thanks!

Gary

When I moved to Highlands County, Florida, in 1997, I was told the USDA hardiness zone was 9a! Then I started finding lots of zone 10 flowering trees and shrubs. I then realized said trees dictated what the zone was, and not the climate pundits.

In the below slide show (which drastically needs updating as most photos are five years old) there are some local Delonix regia trees.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/72530466IDwHsN

Mad about palms

I couldn't resist! I went to Hunter's Nursery in Spring Valley to see the two D. regias

in pots. One is in a 15 gal. for $139.00 and the 24" Box is $495.00 which is approximately

12' tall. Both trees suffered a little bit of frost damage in Jan. 2007 according to the women

that works at the nursery. They were very nice to let me take pictures of the trees. I will post

them for people who are interested. The owner of this nursery keeps the two trees away from

any other tree that resemble a mimosa-type-leaf.

I also went to see Matty B's recently discovered D. regia in Sherman Heights, San Diego. It is

a beautiful tree located about 1/2 mile from the Commercial St. D. regia. It is quite possible

that the person who planted this tree could have given the previous owner's the of the Commercial

St. house their tree.

The history of the Sherman Heights tree according a neighbor who's lived across the street from the tree

many, many years is: The man who lived in the house brought back the seeds from Acapulco, MX. He started

several trees. The tree was planted appoximately 10 - 12 years ago. The man watered the tree every other day

during the summer. And it has been blooming appoximately since the tree was four years old. Unfortunately, the

man who planted the tree passed-away six years ago...so none of this can be substantiated.

The smaller D. regia is on the left and is about 5' tall. It looks very small in this picture.

post-1786-1218424447_thumb.jpg

post-208-1218426896_thumb.jpg

One nice thing about a dry winter . . .

Here it is, La Habra, California, scream, run around the block (f7ully clothed)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That pictures shows the 2 steps forward, one step back I was referring too. You can see the old growing points and how far back it died before new growth started.

I couldn't resist! I went to Hunter's Nursery in Spring Valley to see the two D. regias

in pots. One is in a 15 gal. for $139.00 and the 24" Box is $495.00 which is approximately

12' tall. Both trees suffered a little bit of frost damage in Jan. 2007 according to the women

that works at the nursery. They were very nice to let me take pictures of the trees. I will post

them for people who are interested. The owner of this nursery keeps the two trees away from

any other tree that resemble a mimosa-type-leaf.

I also went to see Matty B's recently discovered D. regia in Sherman Heights, San Diego. It is

a beautiful tree located about 1/2 mile from the Commercial St. D. regia. It is quite possible

that the person who planted this tree could have given the previous owner's the of the Commercial

St. house their tree.

The history of the Sherman Heights tree according a neighbor who's lived across the street from the tree

many, many years is: The man who lived in the house brought back the seeds from Acapulco, MX. He started

several trees. The tree was planted appoximately 10 - 12 years ago. The man watered the tree every other day

during the summer. And it has been blooming appoximately since the tree was four years old. Unfortunately, the

man who planted the tree passed-away six years ago...so none of this can be substantiated.

The smaller D. regia is on the left and is about 5' tall. It looks very small in this picture.

post-1786-1218424447_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

First of all the twig die-back from the previous pic was from the 2007 freeze...according to the woman

at the nursery.

I think anyone interested in planting D. regia shouldn't listen to negative comments from anyone.

Try the tree in an area that receives a lot of heat and sun as long as it doesn't get below 28 degrees

more than once a year. The larger the tree, the hardier it will become.

One will never know if it will grow, unless you plant it.

Maybe I read your post wrong, but I sure hope you are not talking to me. I have tried growing this tree for a few years now. Almost everyone who has tried will tell you these are not easy grows in SoCal - hence they are not avenue trees here in SoCal. If it is an easy grow, you are someone link Gary Levine that lives in about the best place to grow this tree in SoCal. Also, do not misinterpret words of experience, caution or advice as "negative comments". Without these people go into things blind. I am glad every time I am warned about a borderline plant. Gives me guidance in how best to prepare for it in my garden.

And the die back was 2007? That is almost 2 years ago!! That is terrible recovery. Even in 24 in box.

I agree with your comment on "One will never know if it will grow, unless you plant it.". If I did not believe in this, many of the things I have would not be where they are in my garden or greenhouse.

First of all the twig die-back from the previous pic was from the 2007 freeze...according to the woman

at the nursery.

I think anyone interested in planting D. regia shouldn't listen to negative comments from anyone.

Try the tree in an area that receives a lot of heat and sun as long as it doesn't get below 28 degrees

more than once a year. The larger the tree, the hardier it will become.

One will never know if it will grow, unless you plant it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len:

"I agree with your comment on "One will never know if it will grow, unless you plant it.". If I did not believe in this, many of the things I have would not be where they are in my garden or greenhouse." I agree with you 100%...everyone in Southern California should try this tree if interested.

Andy

You're right Len, about how lame a recovery that plant is making if, in fact, the damage was from '07. But in my experience with most dicots, and specifically Delonix, that once they get rootbound they just suck at growing. A continuous bump up in pot size is required for healthy growth. This plant should be in the ground about 3 years ago in my opinion. You should try that with your Inga edulis. I know you said you've been trying to train them into a nice tall tree with not much luck. They are loosers in pots too. Plant it and if it sucks after a few years then kill it dead with a karate chop.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt said the same thing. The tree is shaped nicely. Now I do not have room. Come by with a trailer or way to get a 24 in box into a truck and it is yours. Nice tree.

My Delonix has been bumped up once a year. 5 -> 15 last summer. 15 -> 24 In box this year. 24 -> Ground next spring. I find almost all my tropical trees hate the pots. But I personally believe they need to be grown up to prepare for SoCal and give them the best chance at survival.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

From the original post, how big would you estimate the mowing strip is?

The reason I ask is that I've always thought about planting a Poinciana in between my two garage doors, letting it grow over the roof and driveway. I could cut out a section of the driveway for the tree, meaning that it would be surrounded by concrete and planted next to a south facing wall - seems like a good place.

Anyone think this is viable? Not viable? Would the roots start to break up the surrounding concrete?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Matty B.

I do agree with you. The Hunter's Nursery D. regias should have been planted in the ground

at least a few years ago. Most trees in the Fabaceae or (Leguminosae) tend to do poorly in pots

and grow very slowly. I guess I consider myself fortunate, because I have an Inga edulis in a 20 gal.

terra cotta pot. It fruits and grows very quickly as I'm constantly cutting it back...ironically it

has been in the same pot for ten years. Only once has its roots grown into the grown...and

that was this summer.

Justin, it was the same width as the sidewalk. So that's either 3 or 4 feet, I'm not sure which. Put a root barrier along sides so the roots have to go down. I've seen this done at construction projects where they plant trees in hardscape planters.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Aloha – I’ve admired many magnificent mature Poinciana trees. I’m not sure how aggressive these buttress tree roots can become over on the U.S. mainland, however I would not plant this particular tree right next to sidewalks / driveways / houses here on Big Island. The web article referenced below states:

“Use it as a canopy tree for large boulevards, or as a front yard lawn specimen. However, its relatively short, stout, smooth, gray-colored trunk produces buttresses with aggressive surface roots. On older trees, these roots can damage masonry and may hinder mowing and understory planting. This is not a storm sturdy tree, so be prepared to pick up fallen branches following strong winds.”

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/...alPoinciana.pdf

Dan Ashley on “the Big Island” of Hawai’i (Danni en “la Isla Grande” de Hawai’i)

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Konadamtom:

I have noticed the trees here in Southern California don't seem to have the many surface-rooting problems that are so common in the

tropics. I think it may due to lack of summer rains that the trees' roots may go deeper in the soil (just a guess). Even on the large tree

at Fullerton Arboretum that has been obviously in the ground for many, many years -- it shows no surface roots and I think it even gets

regular water in the lawn. I'll attach a picture of the Fullerton Arboretum tree trunk at soil level.

post-1786-1219126816_thumb.jpg

Here is a full picture of the large Fullerton Arboretum Royal Poinciana from trunk view

of previous posted picture.

post-1786-1219127656_thumb.jpg

Here is a full picture of the large Fullerton Arboretum Royal Poinciana from trunk view

of previous posted picture.

post-1786-1219127656_thumb.jpg

Aloha and Mahalo for showing us the photos of the large Fullerton Arboretum Royal Poinciana. A specimen with that stout a trunk here on Big Island would be showing off some sturdy buttress tree roots. I like the look of buttress tree roots, and saw some amazing ones during our IPS Biennial in Costa Rica. Unlike Big Island, Costa Rica has many poisonous snakes - and they enjoy curling up for a nap in the decaying plant debris which collects in those big pockets between the buttress tree roots.

Aside from admiring some very large Royal Poinciana specimens here, I also like the smaller ones growing along the Queen K Highway between Kailua-Kona and the Kona Airport - it looks like someone periodically prunes back the branches to keep the trees "topped" at a height of about 8 feet. As a result, there is an umbrella of downward-arching branches which glow bright orange when the trees are in bloom.

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Konadamtom:

I have seen many Delonix regia trees in Hawai'i--The Big Island, O'ahu, and Kau'i. I'm from Kalihi Valley, Honolulu, HI. I've always admired

the large beautiful trees at the main library in Honolulu. They do alway seem to have the large surface roots...even in Ewa Beach, where it is

usually very dry they seem to have many surface roots. I'm still not sure why the California trees don't seem to surface root. Maybe someone

has the answer.

Mahalo nui loa for posting your comments.

Andy

There's lots of Delonix in my area, and around Perth. Most Madagascan things do well here.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone:

Please post some of the pictures of the D. regia trees in bloom in your area if you have any. I'm sure many people on this thread

would love to see pictures. I know it's still winter there in Australia, however, maybe when they're in bloom again.

Do the trees bloom in spring or summer in Perth?

Thanks.

Andy