IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

James Marshall Hendrix

bubba

James Marshall Hendrix(aka Jimi Hendrix) was born in Seattle,Washington and grew up as a sensitve and quiet young man in a racially mixed lower middle class neighborhood in that city.He did not take up the Guitar until his early teens but it was clear that it fit his hand.Somewhat introverted,this instrument became his vehicle of release.

Hendrix enlisted in the Army after graduating from highschool and was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division in 1961.He was a subpar soldier and ached to get back to his passion,the Guitar.By this time,he was already gaining a reputation for his playing virtuosity.

After playing in numerous local Seattle bands, he left to make his mark in New York.His style and showmanship were becoming well-known,particularly in Greenwich Village but luck always seemed to keep him from his big break.As an example,Legendary Guitarman Les Paul was utterly blown away by Hendrix in a performance at a small club in the Village in 1965.Paul ran back to his office to get a contract to  immediately sign up Mr. Hendrix and when he got back Jimi was gone.Hendrix many times played under different names and no one knew where he could be found.

Jimi's luck changed when he left New York for London in 1966.He was very quickly identified by some other British Guitarmen as transcendental(specifically Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck)His unparralled mastery of the instument coupled his outlandish showmanship made him an underground Legend immediately.This rise was assisted when at the request of Clapton,Paul McCartney and George Harrison attended Hendrix's last show before heading back to the USA.The Beatles had just released Sgt. Pepper's Lonely... and Hendrix did an off the cuff improvisation of the song that allegedly staggered McCartney.

McCartney was thereafter influential in getting Hendrix to appear at the "Monterrey Pop Festival",where his legend seemed to begin.In June of 1967 Hendrix and his band "The Experience"took the stage as a relatively unknown group that followed "The Who".Hendrix's style had never been seen before together with his virtousity and coupled with his ability to play with his teeth,behind his back between his legs...Word has it that when he finished his set by smashing his Guitar to pieces and starting a small fire, the crowd reacted like the donkey had been blown out of the elephants tail.They were woobly woobly staggered woobly woobly.

Thereafter,Hendrix became legendary and controversial.Perhaps best known for his rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" at Woodstock in 1969,he was always misunderstood.He considered himself patriotic and told Dick Cavett that he thought his rendition was beautiful.He explained that his Wah-Wah style on the guitar emanated from the sounds he heard while parachuting with the 101st Airborne.

Unfortunately, Hendrix was eaten up by the entourage that followed him and he could not escape. His downslide was cemented at an event in England, when he sat on stage silently for several minutes after being announced and then told the crowd that this is what happens when the Earth messes around too much with Space as he left.

Got a friend,who is very knowledgeable and a former Guitarman in his own right.He watched Hendrix perform in a very small setting at Steve Paul's "The Scene" in Greenwich Village around 1968.He was overcome by the performance and swears Hendrix held multiple picks,which he would flick skyward while playing only to catch them on the way down without missing a beat.Said he could never look at a Guitar the same way after watching that performance.

Suprisingly, numerous "Hendrix" sighting's have been reported in various locations around the US. It seems he is always with Elvis Pressly (Elvis is usually driving)in what appears to be a beat up tan 1964 Ford Falcon.Both have aged well although Elvis has put on a little more weight.They are sharing a tightly bagged beverage that may be Malt Liquor. It is said by all who have witnessed this spectacle,that both Jimi and Elvis are laughing uncontrollably. Despite great efforts,no one has been able to catch up to them or even get a photo.

What you look for is what is looking

He outdid Pete Townshend of The Who at Monterey, Townshend smashed his guitar and threw it into the audience. Hendrix set his on fire.  :D  :D   :(

Ex Animals bassist Chas Chandler managed Jimi and took him to England where the bulk of interest in blues revival / guitar progression was happening at that time. It suited the big guy to be able to go down the street in London and see Beck, Townshend, Page and of course Clapton play trad blues with advanced modern electric guitar styles. New music emerged and so did Hendrix.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jimi's father sold his son's estate for a pittance.

Thereafter, he sued to get the rights back and won.

The old guy's in the clover now.

So, are you experienced?  My 1979 Oldsmobile, "Jimi Hendrix" certainly was . . . . :P

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Haven't you seen "Men in Black"?    Elvis is not dead, he just went home.  I guess he took Jimi with him.  :D

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,I am in total agreement.Both Pythagoras and Socrates were quoted at different times in different places without knowledge of each other's statement around 600BC as stating:"All truth is revealed by analogy."No doubt in my mind that Elvis and Hendrix are driving around the US in that beat up tan 1964 Ford Falcon laughing hysterically as they pass back and forth a can of Malt Liquor.No one will ever catch them or get a picture. They are too fast and no longer want people taking their picture.Look for them and you will see them too!(Please excuse my overly Philosophical outlook but I know you understand)

I was also a fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn, who was trying and doing a decent job of emulating Jimi.  He too died way too soon.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Awesome post/topic, Bubba.

Jimi is one of my all time favorite artists - "Castles Made of Sand" one of my favorite songs.

Laguna Niguel, CA

• 4 years later...

Saw these guys the other day...I did not realize they still made Pabst Blue Ribbon malt liquor. The bag is torn and the label clearly visible.

• 3 months later...

Dave, Got some information from a friend that says the last stroke has yet to be played in the Hendrix Estate matter. We shall see.

Dave, Got some information from a friend that says the last stroke has yet to be played in the Hendrix Estate matter. We shall see.

Yeah, I believe it.

Never ends, does it?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Never does and I will keep you posted. It is interesting but still developing.

Ah, the Ford Falcon series, I owned a 1960 sedan, and then a 1961 Ranchero. They were the last vehicles I was competent to repair!

Elvis and Jimi drive one because any shade tree mechanic along a rural road can keep a Falcon running. :mrlooney:

San Francisco, California

• 5 years later...

It is the magical confluence of the tan Ford Falcon coupled with the Pabst Blue Ribbon malt that provides the ultimate destination.