IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Meeting - SW FL Palm & Cycad Society Meeting

SW_FL_Palms

Palm & Cycad Society of SW Florida  Meeting

Date:  Saturday  March 1, 2008   Time:   10:00 am

16789 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers  33908

Corner of John Morris Road &  McGregor Blvd heading towards Sanibel

Discussion Topic:  Fertilization of Landscape Palms – Latest IFAS recommendations.

SureGro Slow Release In-Ground Palm Special (8-2-12) will be for sale @$20/ #50 bag

(Pre-order reservations required  - email ),  any remaining bags will be available to attendees)

Agenda

9:30am  arrive & Seabreeze Palms and browse the nursery.

10:00 am  Introductions & Annoucements.

10:20am  Palm Fertilizer Discussion

followed by

Auction -   Please bring plants for auction (No washingtonias, Queen or Christmas palms, please)  In additional to  palms & cycads, unusual / rare plants of other genera are welcome.

Quality /rarer plants may be auctioned on a 50% to owner /50% to chapter  or out right donated.   Please have the name of the plant, and your name on a tag or paper.

then on to

Garden Tours – directions will be given out at the meeting

1) Bill & Robin Blain

2) Derek Batke -   Amazon Exotics

and

Lunch at the Blains-   $5 donation  to cover sub sandwiches & sodas

Additional  side dishes, salads, and deserts, are welcome.

<If possible, RSVP  by email <a href="mailto:SW_FL_PalmCycad@hotmail.com">SW_FL_PalmCycad@hotmail.com  so that we will know how much food to order>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------

Name Badges –   if you have a name badge from another group, please wear it.   Noting where you are from and your screen name if you are a webboard participant, will  help everyone put names to the faces.

Details:

Our meeting will begin at Seabreeze Palms, one of Fort Myers newest nurseries, owned by Justen Dobbs & Derek Batke.  They specialize in rare palms and other unusual items such as landscape wood carvings.    Justen , born and raised in Orange County, CA., moved to Florida Sept. 2007.   He has been growing palms for almost 5 years, and had 202 species in his collection in California.  He likes to germinate palms from seed, and has brought many of his palms with him for the nursery .  He was on the board of the Palm Society of Southern California for a couple of years and wrote articles for their journal.  

Derek has lived in SW Florida almost all of his life.  He has been a landscaper for almost 20 years.  After growing a few varieties of rare palms in his yard in Fort Myers, he decided to take his hobby further and begin a nursery.   He has  Raphia, Kentiopsis oliviformis, Cyrotostachys renda,  Sabal ‘Lisa’, Pinanga,  Latania vershaffeltii, Dypsis ‘Orange Crush’, Dypsis onilahensis  Chambeyronia hookeri and macrocarpa are among the palms we will see.

Justen & Derek frequent the PalmTalk.org webboard.   The Sabal ‘Lisa’ topic has been quite popular.  They have a few of the Sabal  ‘Lisa’ available for sale

Bill & Robin Blain have been collection palms, bamboo and other tropicals  for  over 18  years.

Four years ago, they moved from their McGregor Blvd home to the Iona –McGregor area.  It is amazing to see how Bill transformed a full sun shelly lot to a lush tropical garden.   Although  Bill enjoys growing Caribbean Palms such as Copernicia, Coccothrinax, Pseudophoenix, his collection also includes different Pritchardias, Satakentia, Kentiopsis, Corypha,Licuala, and many others totaling around 100 different species and hybrids in the ground.

(SW_FL_Palms @ Jan. 30 2008,08:44)

Seabreeze Palms, one of Fort Myers newest nurseries, owned by Justen Dobbs & Derek Batke.  They specialize in rare palms and other unusual items such as landscape wood carvings.    

It sounds terrific.

Is it a retail nursery - are they open to the public?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

A real possibility for me too.  Maybe I'll camp out on Pine Island the night before.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Feb. 01 2008,07:10)

A real possibility for me too.  Maybe I'll camp out on Pine Island the night before.

Sounds like fun!

Want a camping partner!?!?!?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

SunnyFl,

We are a retail/wholesale nursery open Mon-Sat 9am-5pm.  We carry rare&common palms, orchids, bromeliads, ferns, ornamentals, tiki's, etc.

Larry,  

You can come too.  That means I'll have to bring some big palms and a shovel.  There's no sense in wasting perfectly good help.  Don't worry, I'll feed you.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Derek and I are looking forward to having everyone over!  Derek and Bill have some really rare palms and other tropical trees.  Feel free to PM me with any questions about the meeting.

>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

On a side note: We are currently trying to locate the following palms in a mature size (already producing seed) to plant at our nursery.

Dypsis decaryi

Hyophorbe lagencaulis

Wodyetia bifurcata

Butia capitata

If you have one of these and it has produced viable seed and you live in southern Florida, let me know if you'd be willing to part with it.  We have hybrids, variegated palms, rare palms, etc. to trade for it.  (We will come dig and remove your palm.)

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<

See everyone in a month!

(Ray, Tampa @ Feb. 01 2008,14:21)

Larry,  

You can come too.  That means I'll have to bring some big palms and a shovel.  There's no sense in wasting perfectly good help.  Don't worry, I'll feed you.

Ray

Ray-

I was about to say the same......might as well make the trip productive!  I might even have a few small donations for your plot if you want em (Raphia, Elaies, Carpentaria).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I'm marking my calendar.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Derek and I wanted to give everyone a little garden tour as we are looking forward to the meeting in 4 weeks.

MeetingPicssign.jpg

Coconuts

MeetingPics020.jpg

Spindles

MeetingPics021.jpg

D. mananjarensis

MeetingPics017.jpg

Brahea decumbens (a palm you don't see often in FL; maybe won't make it here...?)

MeetingPics019.jpg

A few Dypsis leptocheilox x decaryi (went through some transplant shock)

MeetingPics016.jpg

Bottle trunk all cleaned up

MeetingPics072.jpg

Sabal palmetto "Lisa" seedlings

MeetingPics067.jpg

Licuala triphylla

MeetingPics065.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana (not for sale, sorry :))

MeetingPics062.jpg

D. pembana and babies

MeetingPics053.jpg

Our lone Christmas Candle Palm (Adonidia merrillii golden) Throws a yellow new leaf (old leaves are green).

MeetingPics052.jpg

I noticed the meeting notice did not format properly.

Central FL  Palm & Cycad Society has posted the notice with map on their website.  

http://www.plantapalm.com/centralfl/default.asp

http://207.210.245.133/ms/meets/other/2008/sw_march2008.html

Hope to see some of the CFP&CS members at our meeting.

I'm definitely saving the date.  Can't wait to go!

Btw  - thanks for the PM, looking forward to seeing the nursery.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Wow guys, thanks for the virtual tour...  Justin the nursery is looking fantastic!  You guys got set up all kinds of quick!  Looking like you've been around for years!  

This looks like it will be a fun day for the SW society!  I have prior commitments for the SFPS that day :(

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!  The meeting is in only 3 days...

I hope the weather warms up soon :(

Here is our availability list for those interested.  Look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!!!

Actinokentia divaricata

Adonidia merrillii

Adonidia merrillii (golden)

Allogoptera caudescens

Archontophoenix maxima

Archontophoenix purpurea

Areca vestiara (red)

Areca vestiara (orange)

Areca vestiara (yellow)

Attalea cohune

Beccariophoenix alfredii

Beccariophoenix sp. "No windows"

Bismarkia nobilis (silver)

Bismarkia nobilis (green)

Brahea moorei

Carpentaria acuminata

Caryota gigas

Caryota mitis

Caryota zebrina

Chamaedorea metallica

Chambeyronia hookeri

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

Clinostigma samoense

Cocos nucifera "Maypan"

Copernicia alba

Corypha utan

Cryosophila albida

Cyrtostakys renda (lakka)

Dictyosperma album

Dypsis albofarinosa

Dypsis ambositrae (True)

Dypsis baronii

Dypsis cabadae

Dypsis fibrosa

Dypsis Honkona

Dypsis Kindreo

Dypsis leptocheilos

Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi

Dypsis lutescens

Dypsis madagascariensis

Dypsis malcomberi

Dypsis Orange Crush

Dypsis pembana

Dypsis Pink Stem

Dypsis saintelucei

Dypsis sp. Fine Leaf

Dypsis sp. "White Stem"

Elaeis guineensis

Euterpe Oleracea

Guihaia grossefibrosa

Hydraistele microspadix

Hyophorbe indica

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis x vershaffeltii F1

Hyophorbe vershaffeltii

Kerriodoxa elegans

Latania vershaffeltii

Latania lodegessii

Licuala grandis

Licuala peltata var. peltata

Licuala spinosa

Licuala triphylla

Livistona chinensis

Lytocarum wedellianum

Phoenix canariensis x roebellinii

Phoenix roebellinii

Phoenix sylvestris

Pinanga caesia

Pinanga kuhlii

Pritchardia hillebrandii

Pseudophoenix sargentii

Ptychosperma macarthurii

Raphia taedigera

Ravenea louvellii

Rhapis excelsa

Rhapis subtilis

Roystonea elata

Roystonea regia

Sabal palmetto var. "Lisa"

Veitchia joannis

Vershaffeltia splendida

Wodyetia bifurcata

Wodyetia x Veitchia arecina

Wodyetia x Veitchia winin

Thanks for posting the list.

Weather is suppose to be nice for this Saturday.

Great day for garden tours.

PS.  Remember:  the Chapter has SureGro 8-2-12 for sale, as well as lunch (Party Subs) will be available.

Guest Lucinda

Yesterday's SW FL palm meeting was outstanding. Great weather, tour of a four-year old garden that looked as if it had been there for a gazillion years ... and first hand look at what has to be one of the best-stocked palm selections around. As usual, I drooled over and coveted every single, well grown plant... particularly the 15 gallon Dypsis decaryi x leptochielos. Stunning!

Thank you Seabreeze.

Any pictures? Someone must of took some, lets see um.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was going to this event, but my wife woke up very sick on Staurday morning and I had to change my plans!  I was very interested in the tour of the 4 year old garden.  I wanted to get tips and ideas since my "garden" is only 1 year old now.  

Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 1 month later...

Oops...(I didn't see this until today) -- when is the next chapter meeting?

Thanks,

Tim

Sarasota

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Thanks Geri...

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg