IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Betel Nut palms

Walter John

These ain't mine though.

DSC_0186.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I bet that place is owned by someone who sells the nuts , and it sure isn;t anywhere near Brisbane .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Wal

Nice... :) I love betel nut palms, Areca catechu...but I can't grow them here at all. The winters are too long and cool. I can grow Areca triandra, though. Its the only Areca I have been able to grow...  :(

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

This is a mere shadow of those mature ones posted above, but its the best I can do around here!

Plants_0967.jpg

Plants_0968.jpg

Plants_0969.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Thanks Wal.  Those photos are inspiring  :P

I strongly doubt that my bethel nut will ever look like the ones in the photos, especially since I nearly killed it in transplantation.   :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ, Please keep us advised on how your Betel Nut Palm does in California. I am growing one in the Palm Beach,Florida area sucessfully but all references claim it to be extremely sensitive.It seems your microclimate may allow it to prove "the experts"wrong. Good luck and thank you for taking a chance on what has been proclaimed to be a marginal palm.

What you look for is what is looking

wal--those ARE inspiring.reminds me of the ones you see

in bali--so tall you almost can't see the top!

chris78--areca triandra in phoenix?outside?i'm rushing out to by one asap!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Here's an A. triandra (I think) growing in Costa Rica.  I've always wanted one too since seeing this pic that my wife took.  I hear they grow in So Cal......

post-126-1156522370_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

matt you have trained her well...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(MattyB @ Aug. 25 2006,12:12)

Here's an A. triandra (I think) growing in Costa Rica.  I've always wanted one too since seeing this pic that my wife took.  I hear they grow in So Cal......

Mine has about a foot of trunk but not robust like the ones in the picture.  The speed of growth is moderate but the fronds are very nice.  This palm do take a beating in the winter, maybe because mine were in a pot.  I will plant it in a week or so with lots of mulch and see how it will do this winter.

Found this one in Madagascar...

post-74-1156527626_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack - That looks like a dwarf....thats not so dwarf!

Larry 

Wal, here is a picture of one of mine about 10 years old, may be it is the most southern one growing in Australia.

Cheers

Mike

post-250-1156555356_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I have four of them growing along my south fence alternated with Ptycosperma Elegans. I started them from seeds three years ago. They are about seven feet tall now growing in full sun. They don't like frosts though. The top leaves got seriously burnt here last February 14th in a 32f heavy frost. They grow back fast after cold damage unlike Vietchia or Adonidia. If I recall, I think Tree Stumpy sent me the seeds via USPS. Tim

aaaaapalms003.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

post-250-1156555465_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Tim - Those have to be the most northern growing Betel Nuts in FL!  Fantastic!

Larry 

Here's my Betel NBut palm. I've had it for about 3 years now and I love it.

Its been a house palm the hole time. I don't want to risk putting in outside for fear of lousing it. I love the dark green color of its leaves and trunk. It puts out about 5 to 7 leaves a year. Now I know I have a slim to no chance of it growing to maturity here in So. Cal. but its a great palm just the same

IMG_0335.jpg

more palms, less bombs!

Wal:

That picture makes me cry, for all the ones I've killed . . . . .

:(

Hawai'i here I come.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

When?

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm trying to understand why some of my betel nut inflorescenses(flowers) drop their baby betel buds-and some don't- any thoughts appreciated

Do dwarf betel nut palms have short petioles ? I see in some pics the normal or regular size betels have short petioles anyway.

Reason I ask is because I have growing what was sold to me as a dwarf betel nut and the petioles to first leaflet seem the same length/distance as my other normal/regular size betel nut palm. Perhaps I was not sold a dwarf after all. Post pics soon. Thank you.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal...this is a close up of mine, probably a dwarf...the petioles are almost non existent.

post-110-1156705894_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

.......and a full view of the tree.....the crown does look allot like the one that Jack is standing in front of...the crownshaft and heads of both look pretty atypical to me.

post-110-1156706400_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

I just checked out my regular betels for the short petiole feature.  They are short or even nonexistent, but the leaf bases are far apart on these trees.  These two photographs are of the same tree. I was kind of surprised to find this petiole situation on a regular tree.  As I recall from other postings, the leaf bases on dwarf betels are more closely spaced.  Maybe with a mature tree, these features would sort themselves out?

226544370_dbf8eb9129_o.jpg  226544371_043373468f_o.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Nice triandra, MattyB.  I'm not growing catechu, but I have a couple of little triandras.  Here's a new leaf pic.

post-94-1156759165_thumb.jpg

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I only have the compact or dwarf form of Areca catechu.  Even tho' it is usually called the dwarf form I've been told they can eventually get reasonably tall.  Perhaps it would be more appropriate to call it the "compact" form.  I've posted this pic before but perhaps some would like to see it again . . .

post-90-1156812572_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Hi, Al.  That's a fine palm, and that's exactly what I was thinking about.  Thanks for posting it again.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

This is a cross between the dwarf form and the typical , nothing dwarf about it , and plenty of 'hybrid' vigour.

Foliage is a bit different than the normal A. catechu .

post-354-1157461963_thumb.jpg

Better view of leaves .

post-354-1157462419_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...
On 29/8/2006 02:49:32, Al in Kona said:

I only have the compact or dwarf form of Areca catechu.  Even tho' it is usually called the dwarf form I've been told they can eventually get reasonably tall.  Perhaps it would be more appropriate to call it the "compact" form.  I've posted this pic before but perhaps some would like to see it again . . .

post-90-1156812572_thumb.jpg

perhaps some would like to see it again . . .

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka